Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "We buy houses 4 cash and pay $20,000 more"

No I'm not spamming you all!

These signs have been popping up all over Wellington in the last month or so, so I finally rang today to find out who's behind it and what it's all about.

The phone number diverts straigt to a message service where a lovely young lady's voice tells me she is out buying properties for cash so please leave a message. With such a lovely telephone manner I couldn't resist leaving my name and phone number.

I was somewhat surprised then to get a call back (number blocked) from a guy. Sex sells? Or was it the old bait and switch .

The conversation goes something like this:

Him: "Hi gerrard I'm calling you back about the house
    you have to sell"

Me: "Sorry, who's this?"

Him: "You left a message about selling your house for cash"

Me: "Oh yeah, I've seen your signs around town and wanted to find out a bit more. Who am I talking to"

Him: "Uh, it's Hamish. Do you have a house to sell?"

Me: (at this point with screaming child on my shoulder so not thinking quick enough to engage in a decent conversation) "No, I just wanted to talk to you about what you're doing and how it's going"

Him "So you don't have a house to sell? I can't help you then"

Me: "Hang on, can I ask a bit about what you're doing?"

Him: "No I can't help you anymore"

And after a couple of repets of the last bit he's gone.

Ok, so I probably sounded like a journo or something, but come on Hamish, how about sharing with your fellow investors?

Does anyone out there know Hamish and can twist his arm to share his story? He's obviously someone who's going hard at it so I'm guessing there is probably a good success story there.

Gerrard

He is from Nelson, and we got the same response when enquiring about a place he was advertising here for rent-to-buy. He is very good at separating the suspects from the prospects and won't discuss what he is doing. I'll try him on my next trade and see if he lives up to his promise of paying $20k more (more than what I wonder).
    Whatever it takes ...

Comment

Ahh, the mystery unravels...

Aparently he was on TV recently too as some property expert.

I bet the council are none too happy about the signs all over the place (like taped to the traffic lights on Customhouse Quay!). Effective in getting the message out there tho.

Comment

Yeh I have seen the signs also! They are all over the place!
        James

"Time is the great equalizer. It will either promote or expose you." -Jeff Olson

Comment

Carex...I too have pondered the signs "$20k more" ....more than what?

Comment

50 (or was it 500?) million here on PT. Try to PM him - not that I expect any reply... He's done quite a bit of training with Rick Otton I think.
            Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I'm guessing more than the people who just say "We buy houses 4 cash."

Anyone want to start putting up signs saying "we buy houses 4 cash $30 K more..."
              New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

That 'we buy houses' is from GBI so their team may know him. I'd be surprised if Toby doesn't know him Gerrard.

Cheers,

Donna
                SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Ha! Yeah, look at his signature. (500million that is)
                  Actually he was at the Welly Propertytalk Xmas dinner - very personable guy.
                  Last edited by Jumpin; 14-06-2007, 12:18 PM.

Comment

The idea is simple - sometimes people need to sell their property for less or don't know the true value (aka "dummies"). So if property is about to be sold at a $80,000 discount you can afford to pay $20,000 more, right?
                    Other way to structure it is offer more $$$ but get favorable terms or offer $20,000 thus rendering vendor's previous agreement with another party void and then renegotiate price...
                    Means you have to go through MASSIVE amount of leads to do a deal - but may be worth it?
                    DISCLAIMER: I don't conduct MY business this way, this post is NOT a recommendation to do it this way and is NOT an indication of my opinion about ethics of such a practice. this posts simply states POSSIBLE ways of making profit based on such a model and is not a reflection of the actual knowledge about any person or business offering to pay X amount of $ more for the property or similar.
                    Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

I was wondering if it was someone who had done Toby's direct marketing course recently and was putting it to good use.

I remember Hamish from that dinner in Welly. Good to see "one of us" going at it and doing big things.

Gerrard

Comment

Could just simply be wanting the phone to ring. Tell vendor that crowd will offer you this - I can offer that + $20K (they may never ask the other crowd)
                        We Buy Houses | Sell Your House Fast - No Fees, No Stress

Comment

I was wondering if it was someone who had done Toby's direct marketing course recently and was putting it to good use.
                          I don't think someone who's done Toby's and GBI's MArketing and Mindset course would put it to good use this way...
                          personal opinion only...

Comment

Have emailed Hamish asking if he'll share his story with us here on PT.

Gerrard

Comment

Perhaps its $20K more than the ratings valuation???

I look forward to the story, if it is forthcoming.

Paul.

Comment

Working...
                              X