Whitt
    Andrew (Rentmaster)
    Glenn (GJB68 )
    Brado
    Propoholic
    Matt004

Cheers,

Donna ....
    Last edited by cube; 05-06-2007, 12:37 PM.
    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Has anyone read this yet?
      yup
      What sort of job are you ment to have that is only 4 hours per week?
      JOB? do you really think one can have a JOB that will give good lifestyle and require 4 working hours a week? The book covers having a job and what could be done to change your lifestyle - but ti's more about setting up a business that needs 4 hours a week. BTW - the solutions this book covers are not easily applicable to real estate. bummer!
      So is it any different to what we already know (ie. once you have built up a big enough base, you can just live off it while doing minimal work).
      Yes - it is different. Sorry - I find your questions difficult to answer as this book introduces a very different paradigm. Which you have to accept to understand it - but it's not easy to explain using "common sense" paradigm.
      It's a fantastic reading (with far reaching consequences) - have you noticed I post less here? One of the outcomes - I'm living more life. After reading this book I also closed down some of the business directions I was pursuing (quite a radical decision) - and introduced some more.
      Hope it helps...
      Don't argue with idiots, they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        Has anyone read this yet?

I just want to understand the concept as after a quick bit of reseach I have a question.

What sort of job are you ment to have that is only 4 hours per week? it cant be a salary/wage job? SO it must be an own business (such as property which I guess is the interest from this forum). So is it any different to what we already know (ie. once you have built up a big enough base, you can just live off it while doing minimal work).

Or is it just telling people to draw the line somewhere and once you have that amount, start taking life easier?

[note: I am not knocking the book, just want to understand. Is it just another motivation book like the Rich dad series?]
        Have not read it but I did read a review of it somewhere, a while ago. Sorry, not v specific I know, but I'll see if I can track it down.

However ... He runs a business supplying goods to clients, I think pharmaceuticals but not sure now. He realised one day that the Pareto principle applied - 95% of his business was from 5% of his customers. And 80% of the grief came from the other 95% of his customers. So he dropped the small customers who were giviing him the grief.

Then he streamlined processes including outsourcing the managment of his email inbox to India at some tiny hourly rate - maybe $US4 per hour, something like that.

Found the review I read here:

http://money.cnn.com/2007/05/04/maga....fsb/index.htm
        Last edited by artemis; 05-06-2007, 02:57 PM. Reason: Added link to the review

Comment

Hi Donna, looks like an excellent book. Tried to get it from the library, 9 of 9 holds ! Oh well...

So can you add my name to the list too? Thanks.
          What you think of me is none of my business - T.Cole-Whittaker

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
            Okay so for the book we have:

cube
            oopsick
            sooty
            wenlee
            glen
            slackadave
            fritz
            Donna
            flyboy
            lizard
            carex
            Whitt
            Andrew (Rentmaster)
            Glenn (GJB68 )
            Brado
            Propoholic
            Matt004

Cheers,

Donna ....
            and....

zensei

we are on 19 now yay!

Comment

Thanks for the review Ivanhoe. Cant wait to get 19 more reviews (and counting!).

The thing that interests me is "is it something that can change your life". If you have a best selling book, it is pretty easy to only have to work 4 hours a week. But for the normal person (though I consider everyone on here a bit more motivated than normal people).

From what little I have read, it seems he is promoting a paradigm shift. I just want to know how praticle it is.

[note: it is on my list to read when I return to NZ. i already have too many boxes to ship home.]

Comment

I have the book and am about a quarter of the way through. It does suggest a paradigm shift in thinking.

It has shown me where I am going wrong with my goal setting - that I am not injecting enough excitement into them. Don't get me wrong, I am achieving goals, but have been finding myself feeling rather non-plussed after achieving them.

Adding dollars to nett worth, or trinkets to the toy box are often not enough. Sure they are good to have but there is so much more.

My guess is the book will challenge many of you - as it is doing for me. Some of the concepts will be too big a break from what you are used to, but for those not totally satisfied with their status quo it offers some thought provoking alternative ideas ...some very smart ideas worth trying.

Happy reading.

Julian.
                Last edited by Julian; 06-06-2007, 11:55 AM.
                Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

Me too!

Hi Donna,
                  Please add me to the list if it's not too late, this book sounds awesome!
                  Thanks,
                  Sebastian

Comment

Donna - any ETA for the book yet.

I'm working too many hours
                    DFTBA

Comment

cube
                      oopsick
                      sooty
                      wenlee
                      glen
                      slackadave
                      fritz
                      Donna
                      flyboy
                      lizard
                      carex
                      Whitt
                      Andrew (Rentmaster)
                      Glenn (GJB68 )
                      Brado
                      Propoholic
                      Matt004
                      zensei
                      sebastian

Yippeee we are at 20...and counting. I know I can get up to 55 books - and I will come back to you early next week on the ETA.

Cheers,

Donna ....

Comment

Finished the book and thoroughly endorse it. It's good to see at least a couple of posters on this forum are acknowledged in the book. A challengining and exciting read. If you take action on just a couple of the ideas in this book your life should improve noticeably. It is essential reading for those who are not comfortable with their current situation. It is a book about lifestyle, more than about money. The recommended reading section looks to offer some exciting titles.
                        Julian
                        Gimme $20k. You will receive some well packaged generic advice that will put you on the road to riches beyond your wildest dreams ...yeah right!

Comment

Hi Donna

Add me to the list for the book too please.

Ta,
                          Lisa

Comment

cube
                            oopsick
                            sooty
                            wenlee
                            glen
                            slackadave
                            fritz
                            Donna
                            flyboy
                            lizard
                            carex
                            Whitt
                            Andrew (Rentmaster)
                            Glenn (GJB68 )
                            Brado
                            Propoholic
                            Matt004
                            zensei
                            sebastian
                            Willbee

Okay the ETA is approx. 3 - 4 weeks....but it will be worth the wait!

Yay

Cheers,

Donna

Comment

I'm listening to it on CD at the mo.
                              I find that his attitude is very funny.
                              I agree with Ivan it's kind of the 7 habits for the ipod generation.
                              Basically the concept is to use a lot of leverage, out source your work etc.
                              He also alludes to something I've always been a believer in and that is, that most don't actually wish to be multi millionaires but desire to have a "millionaire lifestyle'.
                              So work on your lifestyle not on becoming super rich.

I am really enjoying it and recommend it.

Essentially the key is to make a paradigm shift from trading hours for dollars and EARNING a living to MAKING Money.

I think Brian Tracy's time management tape set is a great companion to this book along with Stephen Covey's 7 habits... .

Comment

An endorsement by Julian is high praise indeed, if I was in NZ I would say add me to the list Donna, sadly over here ebay will have to provide...

Cheers
                                David
                                New to property investing? See: Best PropertyTalk Threads for New and Old Investors And/Or:Propertytalk Wiki

Comment

Working...
                                X