Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

100K in fake notes dropped from sky in Auckland, Spent in bar just fine.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 100K in fake notes dropped from sky in Auckland, Spent in bar just fine.

A few days ago a company dropped bag loads of five dollar notes to eager Auckland crowds.

They looked like five dollar notes.

but on closer inspection, they were fakes, rather good fakes.

Good enough for several of them to be accepted at a bar overnight.

The RESERVE BANK has blasted the idea of worthless paper being passed off as having real purchasing power.

With all the billions in pretend money or QE , that the RESERVE BANK recently dumped,_

isn't that the pot calling the kettle black?

Anyway, the dropped money successfully bought a few pints from a bar.
    So how exactly is the money fake?

PS anyone got one of those fake fivers, please put it up on trade me, I know a few money collectors who want one for their collection*
    * Do this at your own risk.

PS. The fake notes, are probably more real Money that the actual RESERVE BANK notes (dropped in the same load).
    Why? Because they will get you a store discount on real asset, well part of one anyway.

this VV

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/absolu...5IUWVPDX27JNU/

and this VV

https://www.rnz.co.nz/assets/news_cr...jpg?1607281955
    Last edited by McDuck; 08-12-2020, 10:23 AM.

^^ Okay, so most of it was 'real' money.....

But the director of GreenBack Capital, which owns the Safety Warehouse brand, Andrew Thorn, said the company did give away $100,000 in actual cash as well as "fake cash" that offered discounts on the company's products such as hand sanitiser and face masks.

"It was $100,000 in real money, and the fake money discounts on top - I think that was $40,000 [fake money] notes that were printed," he said.
    Confused? I am so the fake notes were obvious fakes as they offered discounts on the business's products - and then there were the 'real' notes dropped too - or not?

What is amazing is people travelled from far far away - Levin, Palmerston North (really??).

"Auckland Live issued a venue hireage agreement for this event, based on the event promoter's application meeting all our requirements," director Robbie Macrae said.
    So they knew the notes were fake - but I bet their fee was paid with fake notes.

cheers,

Donna
    Last edited by donna; 08-12-2020, 02:56 PM.
    SEARCH PropertyTalk, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post

Confused? I am so the fake notes were obvious fakes as they offered discounts on the business's products - and then there were the 'real' notes dropped too - or not?

cheers,

Donna
      They say 2/3rds of the notes came from the RESERVE BANK of NZ and 1/3 were fakes.
      The fakes looked slightly different, but you could get a discount in store with them.

But the people on the ground, who grabbed the fakes, would not have known someone else got RBNZ money.

Humorously, some would say that (after the huge dump of RESERVE BANK QE ),
      The Safety Warehouse fakes were a better type of money.
      At least the value is tied to a part of a real asset.

The SAFTY WAREHOUSE NOTES did add liquidity to the economy,
      which is in line with Mr Orr's excuse for the RBNZ QE cash dump.

The difference being that the RBNZ and TRADING BANKS were out of the ticket clipping loop.
      Boo hoo for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV2jhwyV_xk
      Last edited by McDuck; 09-12-2020, 07:09 AM.

Comment

Yeah and now the commerce commission is involved probably because the PM waded in saying “whenever was it a good idea”.

Well who knew of safety warehouse before the event? Mission accomplished.

cheers
        Donna

Comment

Should be pretty easy to provide bank statements showing 100k in cash withdrawn. I can't imagine the banks were happy if it were real "you want 100k, in fivers? Hold on a moment while we contact every branch in NZ"

Comment

^^ yeah good point would have taken some planning.

why hasn’t anyone come forward saying they got some of the real dough?

Comment

Originally posted by donna View Post
              \..

why hasn’t anyone come forward saying they got some of the real dough?
              Sorry, which notes are the real ones?

The ones spent a the the pub can actually be swapped for safety equipment,

That's pretty real.

Whereas the RESERVE notes are constantly being diluted by QE after QE (by the reserve bank).

How is that even money? Money is supposed to be a store of value.!

But seriously..

Yes, the Safety Warehouse might be in trouble on two fronts.

Comment

I strongly suspect this was largely done as a tax dodge : claiming they gave away x amount of dollars but in fact only a few $ .

It seems to be the case with so many people complaining they received only fake money and not real.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                  I strongly suspect this was largely done as a tax dodge : claiming they gave away x amount of dollars but in fact only a few $ .

It seems to be the case with so many people complaining they received only fake money and not real.
                  It's possible.

I seem to remember something about them getting fined 30K, for sending unsolicited texts, just after the drop.

The case for the actual money drop is still before the Commerce Commission.

Some might say that this chap thinks the rules don't apply to him.
                  Wonder how his approach will survive the scrutiny of the commission.

Comment

Working...
                  X