Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Council charging me megabucks simply for asking me too provide documents for CCC!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Council charging me megabucks simply for asking me too provide documents for CCC!!

I paid upfront the council fees for a building consent for a small bathroom add on to an existing laundry.

The documents for electrical , plumbing and drainage were all sited and approved by the inspector.

Only 2 inspections were needed.
    I had a credit of $65 to my original council fee payment of the building consent.
    The inspector passed the bathroom as being compliant fully siting the PS3's etc.

I asked the inspector what documents do i need to furnish for the CCC. He helped me with the form and told me i needed to provide the PS3 for Plumbing, drainage and an as built drawing for the under slab drainage along with the revised drawing for the door change. All good i followed his advice to the letter.
    The drawing of the revised door which changed from a cavity slider to a hinged door the inspector stamped and approved it.

I took all these documents down to the Councils office along with the filled out application for the ccc.
    Sat and waited 20 days
    I then get an email from the "document overseeing" team, Code of Compliance Certificate Assessor that i also need to furnish a PS3 for the Aluminium window, plus the as built under slab plumbing drawing, any inspector notes and an application form to be filled out for the revised door plan.

I replied back i had relied solely on the information there inspector had given me so therefore was not at fault.

I questioned the need for the PS3 for the window as the inspector had sited it was toughened glass .
    I informed them i had already supplied as built drawing for the drainage under slab.

They then re-assessed saying i only need a application form for the revised door drawing [their inspector had already stamped his approval on this] plus copy of the inspectors notes [the inspectors notes were literally one sentence]

I obliged and furnished at their request.

2 weeks later i hadn't heard anything back , so i emailed them to followup

Yes Code of Compliance Certificate Assessor said the CCC can now be issued , attached is our invoice!

$470!!! An invoice for them simply requesting information from me!! No forewarning given!!

I complained that this was outrageous and they should remove it.

They then reduced the bill down to $243 for what they insist is 1 hours work simply for checking documents and requesting information from me !!!!
    Last edited by mrsaneperson; 01-07-2019, 03:25 PM.

Does anyone know their is a fee by council that they charge just for processing the CCC?

It certainly doesn't seem transparent that they are advising customers of this.

Comment

$161 per hour plus gst is what their admin charges just for filing and checking documents presented in order to get a CCC!

Comment

i love it... no wonder they're feeling guilty about not paying the living wage and all voting to increase their pay to $21/hr

Comment

This is all pretty normal.

For commercial/industrial buildings you need a building WOF each year. So you pay someone to supply a building WOF to the council and a copy is put on a wall at the entry to the building. They collate all the guff from each person/company checking the various systems (aircon, auto doors, fire systems etc.) and issue the building WOF.

The council do nothing other than receive the WOF and tick a box on a screen saying it's been issued for this building. They charge $143 dollars for doing this.

Money for jam.

I have no idea how many commercial/industrial buildings there are in Auckland, but say there are 150,000 that have a WOF. $143 * 150,000 = $21 million dollars. F**k me.
          Last edited by Davo36; 04-07-2019, 11:30 AM.
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

What's more outrageous is there's zero accountability if they get their assessments wrong. What good is a CCC other than for revenue generating?

cheers,

Donna
            Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

What annoys me is the fact i was reliant on their council inspector correctly informing me of the documents i needed to submit which he didn't do.
              He informed me incorrectly so therefore should in effect be liable for the time i spent on addressing his mistakes as well as the compliance checker.

Comment

Originally posted by mrsaneperson View Post
                What annoys me is the fact i was reliant on their council inspector correctly informing me of the documents i needed to submit which he didn't do.
                He informed me incorrectly so therefore should in effect be liable for the time i spent on addressing his mistakes as well as the compliance checker.
                Haha, this would require them to be accountable, and of course they're not.

They are the only place you can go and they know it and like it this way. So you get s**t service.

Nothing you can do about it, move on.
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

not so long ago when you passed the final inspection the same inspector would walk the file around the council office getting signatures for the CCC and it would be issued. The 20 gays to issue the CCC included the passed inspection.

After leaky home Auckland council dreamed up the idea of a separate department to issue CCC's. This was intended to create a final and independent check to ensure CCC's were only issued properly.

In pracitice it is another tier of bureaucracy staffed by admin types who have no clue what the consent is for or what was involved. none of them are builders or experienced in inspections They make an art out of issuing a letter at day 19 to stop the clock and protect their kpi's.

when you reply to thieir letter or discuss with the clerk they seem to accept your view but then after peer review form a teamleader issue the same letter again. The system is overwhelmed and a mire of redtape.

Comment

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                    not so long ago when you passed the final inspection the same inspector would walk the file around the council office getting signatures for the CCC and it would be issued. The 20 gays to issue the CCC included the passed inspection.

After leaky home Auckland council dreamed up the idea of a separate department to issue CCC's. This was intended to create a final and independent check to ensure CCC's were only issued properly.

In pracitice it is another tier of bureaucracy staffed by admin types who have no clue what the consent is for or what was involved. none of them are builders or experienced in inspections They make an art out of issuing a letter at day 19 to stop the clock and protect their kpi's.

when you reply to thieir letter or discuss with the clerk they seem to accept your view but then after peer review form a teamleader issue the same letter again. The system is overwhelmed and a mire of redtape.
                    Thank you for enlightening me on that because for sure this is a stupid system and it should be the inspector that is a one stop shop from start to finish in terms of passing the work and issuing the CCC. What a bloody waste of resources . The inspector sites all the docs and then how stupid to have to furnish all the same docs to someone who hasn't a clue sitting in an office . Extra salary for that person and extra ratepayer expense . Ridiculous , makes my blood boil!

Comment

When we had a pool installed, we called for the final inspection, didn't realise we also needed to call for a final inspection for the pool fence. They were 2 separate people...........

Comment

Originally posted by north shore View Post
                        When we had a pool installed, we called for the final inspection, didn't realise we also needed to call for a final inspection for the pool fence. They were 2 separate people...........
                        That is funny.

Did one say "Oh a fence, sorry mate, I'm not a fencing expert!" and the other one says "I wouldn't know a spa pool from an olympic pool, I just measure the fences"

2 people, 2 cars, 2 reports, 2 fees. FFS.
                        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

that was pretty much what happened. The inspector for the pool asked for the sign off for the fence, we said what?????.......... Luckily for us he was able to get the second inspector there.

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                            That is funny.

Did one say "Oh a fence, sorry mate, I'm not a fencing expert!" and the other one says "I wouldn't know a spa pool from an olympic pool, I just measure the fences"

2 people, 2 cars, 2 reports, 2 fees. FFS.
                            Classic crack up..At our expense

Comment

Originally posted by north shore View Post
                              that was pretty much what happened. The inspector for the pool asked for the sign off for the fence, we said what?????.......... Luckily for us he was able to get the second inspector there.
                              Oh so you were supposed to not only book 2 inspections, but in a certain order? The fence one first? F**k me.

But offering the amazing service they do, he got the 'first inspector' guy over there anyway, wow.
                              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                              X