Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nano
    replied
    Unfortunately, the company does not exist anymore and it would be very difficult to track down. All I know is the assessor's first name. I'll just be careful next time.

Leave a comment:

• Meehole
    replied
    Yes I was confused, bit like nano who was originally told he had a concrete floor and then told by another contractor that he didn't. I would have assumed that most people would know if their floor was concrete or timber and would also be able to look under the house for themselves to check if it had been insulated or not before paying an invoice.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by nano View Post
    It seems I haven't myself clear.
    I paid both ceiling and floor when they sent me the invoice.
    Clear to me
    Now you have evidence that you paid for a service that wasn't delivered and will have to try to deal with the original contractor and get it done or recompense.
    May end up in the disputes tribunal.

Leave a comment:

• nano
    replied
    It seems I haven't myself clear. The floor is NOT concrete. The first assessor lied to me because he had to go to his son's hospital urgently. The second man who came to the property to check up the work done was supposed to arrange the floor insulation. Maybe there was a miscommunication between themselves? I don't know. I paid both ceiling and floor when they sent me the invoice.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    Originally posted by Meehole View Post
    If you have a concrete floor there can't possibly be any. Unless the contractor had x ray vision and could see through the slab and noticed it was an insulated slab.
    But it isn't a concrete floor - or nano never said it was and has certainly implied it isn't.

Leave a comment:

• Meehole
    replied
    Originally posted by nano View Post
    Update : Today, we were told by another company that there was no floor insulation.
    If you have a concrete floor there can't possibly be any. Unless the contractor had x ray vision and could see through the slab and noticed it was an insulated slab.

Leave a comment:

• nano
    replied
    Update : Today, we were told by another company that there was no floor insulation.

Leave a comment:

• nano
    replied
    As far as I know tenant who has 'community service card' can get subsidy. Also, it has to be both ceiling and floor insulation. If only one of them, LL cannot use the subsidy.
    My experience with tenants regarding the community service card was not that good. They all said they had it, but later it turned out that they did not have the card.

Leave a comment:

• nano
    replied
    This is an interesting thread. We soon will get to learn whether one of our properties have floor insulation. A few years ago, I arranged insulation for our rental property and got a quote and the work was done. But, the company auditor/supervisor? checked it and found that the floor insulation was not done and asked me why it was not done. I was surprised. I told him that I was told that it was concrete floor so could not be done. He said it was not concrete floor and would arrange the floor insulation. The man who did the job initially rang and apologised that he had to go to his son's hospital and was in a hurry, so he did not have time to measure! So, the floor insulation was arranged separately. I just asked to my tenant whether they came and worked. She said they came. So, I thought it was done. We have renovated the kitchen last year. Just a couple of days ago, I learned that there was no kitchen floor insulation! That means there is no floor insulation at all or just partly? Just no insulation under the kitchen? I don't know yet, but will have it check soon. The company does not exist anymore.
    Last edited by nano; 31-07-2018, 02:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    We have a raked ceiling in our place with a flat ceiling, 9 degree pitch and insulated the ceiling when we renovated. However had to regib the ceiling and reroof so squeezed it in then. Trick is to not have the insulation touch the bottom of the roof as it creates condensation. If the area is tight this will happen. We installed a ceiling hatch in the highest part located in a wardrobe, but you would need to remove the entire contents (including the shelving) to access it.
    Maybe that is why the 'professional' the council got decided that it was impractical - the method the 'other' person used may have compromised the installation without them being aware (touching the roof, filling the gap between the top plate and the roof etc).
    The council hasn't investigated this as of article time (needed 2 days notice to visit etc).

Leave a comment:

• Meehole
    replied
    We have a raked ceiling in our place with a flat ceiling, 9 degree pitch and insulated the ceiling when we renovated. However had to regib the ceiling and reroof so squeezed it in then. Trick is to not have the insulation touch the bottom of the roof as it creates condensation. If the area is tight this will happen. We installed a ceiling hatch in the highest part located in a wardrobe, but you would need to remove the entire contents (including the shelving) to access it.

Leave a comment:

• Wayne
    replied
    From a builders perspective I would be interested to know how they insulated the ceiling cavity when it was raking ceiling, did they blow in insulfluff and how effective would it be? What about the walls and the uninsulated concrete floor?
    I get the impression that it wasn't a raked ceiling - just a very low one.
    I'm picking, from the photo, that the roof is sloped but the ceiling is flat. Given there isn't much room I suspect they never installed a access hatch.
    All a guess - I have no extra info other than what is in the article.

Leave a comment:

• Meehole
    replied
    We did some work on an HNZ property in Helensville (Akld) whereby the heat pump was removed and eco panel heaters were installed instead. From a builders perspective I would be interested to know how they insulated the ceiling cavity when it was raking ceiling, did they blow in insulfluff and how effective would it be? What about the walls and the uninsulated concrete floor?

Leave a comment:

• SimonW
    replied
    And then there's this:

Christchurch council said it couldn't insulate its flat - so Lynda McKenzie got it done herself

This is after the fiasco where the CCC installed those eco panel heaters in lieu of heating that actually works. All so they could spend a million dollars on a tv screen for the library instead.

Leave a comment:

• Perry
    replied
    Move Over P Testing People

Insulation contractor 'deceived' clients with uncompleted jobs
    23 July 2018
    Originally posted by Stuff
    A Nelson insulation installer "deceived" clients by only putting insulation around roof hatches where clients would see it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X