No announcement yet.

Interest Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just offered today, ANZ 285k interest only 5.19% for 2yrs.

Comment

• HSBC's five-year fixed home loan rates were dropped from the old standard rate of 6.49 per cent to 5.29 per cent and other terms were cut too.

Massey University banking expert David Tripe said the 10-year wholesale swap rate, for example, had fallen from 4.7 per cent to 3.7 per cent between September 22 and Monday.

We forecast 7.5 per cent nationwide house price inflation this year, compared to 4.7 per cent in 2014," Stephens said, indicating there would be further mortgage interest rate cuts throughout the year.

"Low inflation will prompt financial markets to push fixed mortgage rates even lower early this year," he said.

"Later this decade (2017,8?)we anticipate an economic slowdown associated with the wind down of the Canterbury rebuild, slower population growth as New Zealanders return to a recovering Australian economy, and higher mortgage rates.

Under such conditions we would expect house prices to fall," Stephens said.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11401823
      Last edited by eri; 14-02-2015, 09:32 AM.
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

• More soothsaying! <sigh>
        Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

• HMM, wait is the name of the game. Expect to see sub 5% before long. Well into the 4's.

Comment

• I never try to guess where interest rates are heading. The tone of articles out there like the ones on NZHerald change so quickly. Less than 6 months ago every other article about property was hinting about rate rising to over 7% now most articles are talking about it going going lower.

Sigh
            www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
            # Property Management
            # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

• Should I fix for 5 years at the low rates on offer right now or wait and see? All thoughts welcomed.
              “Our favorite holding period is forever.”

Comment

• Originally posted by donthatetheplayer View Post
                Should I fix for 5 years at the low rates on offer right now or wait and see? All thoughts welcomed.
                If you can afford the risk then don't. If you want security the good time to fix.
                www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                # Property Management
                # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

• Bird in the hand man. IF you are reasonably sure you aren't going to need to sell then I would.

Comment

• That's one for and one against. I'm leaning towards doing it. 5 years at such low rates is hard to go past!

Comment

• More excellent news.
                      Good to see companies doing well in these uncertain times.

ANZ NZ posts 8% rise in first quarter profit to $425 million

http://www.interest.co.nz/business/7...it-425-million

Comment

• Comes down to your risk profile I think. If you lock it in you are 100% certain of your numbers and you have no risk of increases but you have maybe a 25% risk of paying more than you might in the short term.
                        If you float you get the benefits of any downside pressure on rates but in my opinion you have a super high risk of getting caught by rising rates in the next 36 months.
                        All of this is guess work but that is how I look at it.
                        If you "think" rates will stay low or go down then float.

Comment

• I think rates will stay low but generally whatever I think, the opposite happens! Locking in at low 5's for 5 years will surely beat the long term average for rates? Even if rates stay low for the next 1-2 years I can't see them staying lower than they are now for 5 years.. but who knows anymore!

Comment

• NZ's rates are still stupidly high by international standards. They need to halve to get anywhere close to "normality".

Comment

• That is what I think donthate, lock them in while they are certain!

Comment

• When have our rates ever been close to what you can get overseas though Lefty? Do you think this will change? Genuine Q.

Comment

Working...
                                X