Interest Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Damap View Post
    They aren't confidential, why would you even think that way. Hell they make more money than God, we have to band together and get the best deals we can. Do you feel bad when you get a free magazine from APIA or a discount at Bunnings?
    Come on man, be a kiwi :-)
    Everyone should join the APIA just for the Bunnings discount. I have saved thousands of dollars from this. Saying that I have also spent thousands also.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
      Yes!
      Then I feel depressed and need a drink to get over it.
      Such is life.
      It depends on your risk profile
      Isn't it better investing to be risk averse? - taking longer rates manages risk
      I am pretty sure research on the most successful financial investors shows they are all, without exception, including traders, very risk averse.
      No one can predict when a shock will happen that takes out a lot of investors.

Comment

• Originally posted by kiwibean View Post
        Everyone should join the APIA just for the Bunnings discount. I have saved thousands of dollars from this. Saying that I have also spent thousands also.
        Farmland card also gets Bunnings Discounts and is $250 to join and a further $250 which comes off your rebates with the $500 refunded when you leave - shareholder.

Comment

• Does anyone have any feel for how low the interest rates may eventually go? They keep sinking, but how low can they fall? Every time there is a drop I feel like fixing everything because every new rate looks like such a good deal. But then rates drop again and I feel lucky I have not fixed. How is this constant drop of rates going to come to an end?

Comment

• My crystal ball is away
            at the cleaners.
            Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge View Post
              How is this constant drop of rates going to come to an end?
              My guess, probably through RBNZ policy changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Judge View Post
                Does anyone have any feel for how low the interest rates may eventually go? They keep sinking, but how low can they fall? Every time there is a drop I feel like fixing everything because every new rate looks like such a good deal. But then rates drop again and I feel lucky I have not fixed. How is this constant drop of rates going to come to an end?
                At this stage when my mortgage comes off it's fixed term will most probably float for a bit,
                RB talking even deflation and possible rate drop towards end of the year.
                With it being common in other countries of 1 to 2% loans - who knows ?

How are some PT's feeling now that locked in last year at 6.5% for 5 years ? Go
                back through this thread and you will find one member said it was a storm in a tea
                cup and that the RB was using the media to do all its work.

(As a side note - I use to always fix for 5 years when things were tight, but
                now they are not I just fix short term, as JB from Squirrel Mortgages said (has worked
                in management for three of the main aussie banks) there is usually competition
                in the short term rates.)
                Last edited by iwik; 07-02-2015, 11:14 AM.

Comment

• Wonder how long before there's competition
                  in the 10 year fixed interest rate term rates?
                  Want a great looking concrete swimming pool in Hawke's Bay? Designer Pools will do the job for you!

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
                    Wonder how long before there's competition
                    in the 10 year fixed interest rate term rates?
                    Guess depends how many walk to TSB, note in the past other banks did not follow suit
                    with the BNZ 7 year fixed term.

Wonder if we will ever see the USA model of paying the same rate for the life of the loan ? (well use
                    to be the case - still status quo ?)

Comment

• Originally posted by iwik View Post
                      How are some PT's feeling now that locked in last year at 6.5% for 5 years ? Go
                      back through this thread and you will find one member said it was a storm in a tea
                      cup and that the RB was using the media to do all its work.
                      I am one of those who fixed for 5 years at 6.4% (which was an incredibly great rate around August last year) for one of my properties. I don't really regret it as long as you don't fix all your properties at the same time. My theory is with every property purchase I make sure I fix at the best rate at the time.
                      www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                      # Property Management
                      # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

How are some PT's feeling now that locked in last year at 6.5% for 5 years ?
                        I posted this last year:
                        There's a suggestion from BNZ that our historic lows may be the new norm.
                        Perhaps we'll have even lower interest rates next year?

Comment

• How come we don't have 30yr fixed non-recourse loans?
                          With our full recourse loans and "rock star" economy I'd expect NZ to have the lowest rates going.
                          The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

• Originally posted by PC View Post
                            How come we don't have 30yr fixed non-recourse loans?
                            Non-recourse?
                            Because thankfully there are still plenty of people who believe in personal responsibility.
                            You borrow it....you pay it back.
                            If you can't, there are consequences.

Comment

• Originally posted by PC View Post
                              How come we don't have 30yr fixed non-recourse loans?
                              With our full recourse loans and "rock star" economy I'd expect NZ to have the lowest rates going.
                              The reason most of the world has low interest rates is that their economies are not just in recession, but an ongoing depression.

Comment

RB talking even deflation and possible rate drop towards end of the year.
                                I wonder if investors, and property investors in particular, have thought through what deflation really means.

Comment

Working...
                                X