Interest Rates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• split it into 3
    - float a bit (anything you think you might be able to save in a year or so)
    - 1yr
    - 3yr
    or 3 and 5

Comment

• What Wayne said.

Comment

• Well at least he outlined the reasoning so you could put your own weighting on it.
        100,000 building permits a year - builders dream.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
          Seems like a good time to recommend PT Forumites
          go back and have a look at this post/thread.
          Ron Hoy Fong - Will The Next Boom Be The Boom Of All Booms?

Ron's first post in that thread.
          Please don't link some outdated threads to start another debate.

Comment

• what do you mean float anything you think you might be able to save in a year or so? do you mean pay off?

Comment

• Originally posted by absoluke View Post
              what do you mean float anything you think you might be able to save in a year or so? do you mean pay off?
              yes.
              If you think you might get a bonus in 6 months (say) then you might want to use that to pay down some debt (better than earning interest) but you won't be able to if fixed.
              I use a revolving credit for that - mostly.

Comment

• Just for accuracy there Wayne, you may certainly be able to pay lump sums of a fixed mortgage.
                EG: I think ANZ is 10k pa, based on the start date of the loan.

IE: If a loan was taken out on 15th Jan, and you got a bonus in Dec, you could pay 10k in Dec and another 10k in Jan.

Comment

• that is true SB - thanks for adding that. Trying to keep it simple.
                  Keeping some floating also allows you to take advantage of a sudden drop - maybe your bank has a super special on the 5yr rate.

Comment

• Also, while you can often pay off a small lump sum on a fixed without penalty you can't get it back again - generally.
                    That is where a small revolving credit is handy.

Comment

• thanks everyone this all all very helpful. the more that is added the better decision i will be able to make. i get the feeling everyone see's rates going up enough to justify locking in long term except for what debt can be got rid of in the short term?

Comment

• On the other hand, some would argue this signals a hold in the rate next month.

Treasury bets on March hike

Comment

• Hey guys, just a little something I threw together

Hamish Patel | ph: 09 625 4693 | mob: 021 625 693
                          My Website
                          Be informed - register for our free monthly newsletter

Comment

• so going by those stats hamish would you suggest floating may continue to be the bigger saver as in recent years?

Comment

• 2012 was supposed to be the bust year...
                              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• so davo36 will you simply keep everything floating despite what theyre saying next month? what is your plan of action for worst case scenario if rates do go up next month?

Comment

Working...
                                X