Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Public housing tenants wreak havoc as documents reveal bad behaviour - Queensland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Public housing tenants wreak havoc as documents reveal bad behaviour - Queensland

Public housing tenants wreak havoc as documents reveal bad behaviour

• by: David Murray
    • March 11, 2012 12:00AM
    • 7 comments

PUBLIC housing tenants are being slapped with more than 600 warnings a week for failing to pay rent, harassing neighbours and wrecking taxpayer-funded homes.

A catalogue of bad behaviour, from illegal activity to allowing properties to fall into disarray, is detailed in housing department documents obtained by The Sunday Mail.
    One tenant had not paid rent for more than a year and another was the neighbour from hell who had to be warned about violence, foul language, blaring music and property damage.
    During the past three years, more than 1000 of the "worst of the worst" offenders have been taken to a tribunal in an attempt to evict or sanction them and troublesome tenants have racked up a $20 million damage bill.
    The State Government has recovered only a fraction of the repair costs.
    The documents, obtained under Right to Information laws, show 26,453 breach notices were issued to public housing tenants last year for missing rent payments.

A further 5906 notices were issued after tenants damaged property, disturbed the peace, abused or intimidated neighbours, failed to keep homes clean and other breaches.
    Residents have 14 days to remedy breaches, while in "extreme" cases the department can apply to the Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal to evict tenants.
    An application lodged last November to evict a Brisbane tenant, said the rental account had been in continuous arrears since October 25, 2010.
    Numerous complaints led the Mackay office to apply to the tribunal to evict a tenant for objectionable behaviour and property damage.
    Inspections revealed extensive property damage internally and externally and "in addition, the property is frequented by youth who have been involved in the abuse and harassment of neighbours".
    In Brisbane, a long list of grievances, included "property damage, excessive noise, loud music, yelling, foul language, domestic disturbances, violent arguments, threats to neighbours and constant police attendance".
    Tenants were issued 122 breach notices for using their premises for illegal purposes such as drug production.
    Housing Minister Karen Struthers said some of the state's 55,000 households in social housing faced complex issues such as domestic violence, mental illness or a disability but unruly behaviour wasn't tolerated.
    "These tenants have a right to a roof over their heads and support from government and community organisations to help them stay in their homes and meet expectations of appropriate behaviour," she said.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/life/h...-1226295862710

I wonder how many of them are ex Kiwis?
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Originally posted by muppet View Post
    I wonder how many of them are ex Kiwis?
    Why? Kiwi's in oz are far removed from the Bondi stereotype of the 70's and 80's, I've live in Australia for the last 20 years (10 on the east coast and 10 on the west coast) and 99% of the Kiwis I have met and know here work harder than 99% of the ozzies, and complain a lot less as well.

Comment

While public housing can be important to give deserving persons shelter, I can see the moral hazard that it can create as some tenants do not care for the home as some may not feel any personal responsibility for it. hmm..

Comment

32000 breach notices for 55000 properties does seem stunningly high. Wonder what NZ's rate is?

Comment

i'm curious too about how NZ compares in regards to problem tenants from public housing

Comment

Working...
          X