No announcement yet.

Brisbane renters paying over a third of their income in affordability crisis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brisbane renters paying over a third of their income in affordability crisis

Brisbane renters paying over a third of their income in affordability crisis

MOST rental accommodation in Brisbane is unaffordable, with private renters forking out more than a third of their income to put a roof over their heads.

Property Market Fears

Property Market Fears

There are fears that Australia's property market is set to crash.
    TEN21 November 2010
    Property Market Fears
    There are fears that Australia's property market is set to crash.
    21 November 2010TEN
    Watch More Video
    Share: Property Market Fears
    Research by the Tenants Union of Victoria, which has analysed rental data, reveals low-income households – particularly single jobseekers and single pensioners – cannot afford the median rent, which hit $345 for a three-bedroom house in Brisbane during the June quarter. An affordable level of rent payment is considered to be 30 per cent of household income.
    The research found the average rental property often consumed much more than 30 per cent of household income, with many paying more than double that. As a result, many had to forgo basic necessities or rent substandard or insecure properties.
    http://www.couriermail.com.au/money/...-1225961061678
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Thanks for this post muppet. Housing affordability has been a major problem in all our capital cities for some time now. It's hard to believe there are really people paying more than 60% of their income in rent!

I think increasing housing supply is one of the key issues facing Australians at the moment, which is why I'm proud to be working with the NRAS property project. I really think it does have the potential to affect the lives of thousands of Australians, and when I read a post like this, I'm reminded of just how necessary the scheme is.

Comment

Working...
    X