Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
    He went last Friday - he is there now
    Well he would have been caught up during the China National Day holidays, I think it runs for a week from 1 Oct to 8 Oct.

Quote:
    "BEIJING, Oct. 8 (Xinhua) -- About 475 million Chinese travelled during the National Day holiday which ended on Tuesday, up 10.9 percent from the same period last year, official data showed."

That's 1.5 times the population of USA travelled during the week...

Comment

Yeah - on holidays getting transport can be tricky.
      Huge movement of people really.
      He's on a tour so I expect they have the transport organised.

Comment

their holiday finished yesterday so the crowds arnt that bad and we spent 3 days in singapore first which is very nice, Bejing on the other hand has a dirty worn out look about it but the sights are worth seeing,still lots of chinese who havnt seen a westerner, went to the wall yesterday and on the way back stopped and looked at the birdsnest stadium from the olympics, we were probably 500meters away and could hardly see it for the smog, the driving here is insane, cars buses bikes scooters trucks all over the place the road rules dont seem to apply, there are bikes and scooters at night with no lights chrisscrossing in front of a bus doing 60ks down a narrow busy street

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
          there are bikes and scooters at night with no lights chrisscrossing in front of a bus doing 60ks down a narrow busy street
          Fun to watch I bet!
          I sat for ages above a busy roundabout in Shanghai (6 roads) watching how the cars, buses and cycles (motor and pedal) melded around, between and through each other.
          It was like some great big dance.
          Amazing that there aren't more accidents!

Comment

whats happening in HongKong all news is blocked here even on stuff if you search HK nothing comes up, watching CNN as soon as a article on HK comes on the channel shuts off and comes back on when its over, most chinese havnt got a clue whats happening in outside world a bit like america

Comment

their holiday finished yesterday so the crowds arnt that bad and we spent 3 days in singapore first which is very nice, Bejing on the other hand has a dirty worn out look about it but the sights are worth seeing,still lots of chinese who havnt seen a westerner, went to the wall yesterday and on the way back stopped and looked at the birdsnest stadium from the olympics, we were probably 500meters away and could hardly see it for the smog, the driving here is insane, cars buses bikes scooters trucks all over the place the road rules dont seem to apply, there are bikes and scooters at night with no lights chrisscrossing in front of a bus doing 60ks down a narrow busy street

Yeah there are no give way rules in China, even there are, people ignore it...

Comment

whats happening in HongKong all news is blocked here even on stuff if you search HK nothing comes up, watching CNN as soon as a article on HK comes on the channel shuts off and comes back on when its over, most chinese havnt got a clue whats happening in outside world a bit like america
                It's not that bad, not as bad as North Korea.

Besides, the people in HK are just creating trouble for themselves.

Even there is democracy in HK, HK will always be controlled by China.

Democracy and capitalism are two different things. Expecting democracy to bring riches and money for the common folk is a dream, a dream that will never happen.

People in HK need to wake up that they are in deep crap for the next few decades, as their previous economic advantages are all but gone now.

Comment

I went to Beijing about 10 years back & could not find any English newspaper to read.Actually only came across one person who was reasonably fluent in English. Is it still the same?
                  Definitely check out Tiananmen Square worth a look. And their are tea-tasting houses at the back of the square in the old traditional houses, hopefully still there, definitely a unique experience.

Comment

Hi, Its good that you do have the chance to those places including China. I guess, you should visit China because there are many places to see and discover in their capital City, Beijing. It is where the famous Great wall of China is located. There other places too that you must visit like the New Olympic Village, Birds Stadium, The Temple of Heaven and The Forbidden City. I guess, you were able to visit them by now

Comment

There are many 1 day tours for these great places in Beijing, very convenient, just book through your hotel reception.

Comment

Millions Swamp the Great Wall

Savour the experiance

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                          When I visited the Great Wall in Oct 2009 again, it was exactly like that... minus the red flags...

Comment

Glad I visited 26 years ago then - much better experiance I suspect.

There are other accessible part of the wall - away from Beijing.

Comment

we are on a organised tour so are seeing lots, getting sick of the beggars and people trying to push their crap on you, they dont take no for a answer the air pollution is incredible havnt seen blue sky since we landed,

Comment

we are on a organised tour so are seeing lots, getting sick of the beggars and people trying to push their crap on you, they dont take no for a answer the air pollution is incredible havnt seen blue sky since we landed,
                                Now you guys will understand why the Chinese want to come to NZ.

Comment

Working...
                                X