No announcement yet.

Buyers Flock To Ridiculously Small Homes During Downturn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha... its a bit of a laugh.. we think were immune to a downturn here because we sell s ^&%t to China ... we are living in a temporary economy. When WWIII breaks out... Your investments become slums because no one wants to rent them... They opt for caravans or mobile housing....
    Ive seen on TV complete suburbs in America empty... and its getting worse.

So im saying not to the investors, but advising new folk to the market not to waste money on a poor quality 60's style peace overpriced junk and purchase a section and put a small house on it. Its cheaper than buying a used peace of junk that property investor sell for a well over inflated price. Im sure the investors in this country are all in the free masons club. Modular so you can add another peace later.

haha Bob ... negative thinker...glory days NZ are over..Ill sit back and watch it happen

Comment

Actually I dont even know why I even come to this forum...

To the baby generation of NZ... its obvious that you have managed to score every benefit and bargain this country has ever had to offer.. and in turn crapped on the next generation by selling your dumpsters for an over monopolized pricing structure , all the while you have caused mass exodus of New Zealanders overseas, and totally pulled the rug out of the Tax Paying economy, so when you retire soon... you will be scraping the barrel ... remember you reap what you sow..

The options for todays generation are ..

1, buy a house in Invercargill
      2,Get a cheap section in the country and put a small house on it , either new or reloc
      3, Purchase a house that can be relocated , on wheels, or by hiab.
      4, Get a thousand like minded people together, purchase a block of land...Build an eco village like robin hood
      5, Purchase a second hand pectin of junk in a bad suburb in the city (NO THANKS )

seriously the new gen are smarter... we wont buy your crap anymore...

And one more thing... after you read this and want to make a comment... Please don't bother.... because the facts are on the table and your arguments or feeble empty materialistic comments also dont have any effect on the new smarter generation. We require less to survive on but are better prepared. And we have a social conscience that leaves your for dead.
      Last edited by WaltNZ; 17-03-2012, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WaltNZ View Post
        Actually I dont even know why I even come to this forum...

To the baby generation of NZ... its obvious that you have managed to score every benefit and bargain this country has ever had to offer.. and in turn crapped on the next generation by selling your dumpsters for an over monopolized pricing structure , all the while you have caused mass exodus of New Zealanders overseas, and totally pulled the rug out of the Tax Paying economy, so when you retire soon... you will be scraping the barrel ... remember you reap what you sow..

The options for todays generation are ..

1, buy a house in Invercargill That not where major jobs market is for a start
        2,Get a cheap section in the country and put a small house on it , either new or reloc see comment 1
        3, Purchase a house that can be relocated , on wheels, or by hiab. to where see 1.
        4, Get a thousand like minded people together, purchase a block of land...Build an eco village like robin hood no jobs in the forest plus you will be destroying trees (contradictory)
        5, Purchase a second hand pectin of junk in a bad suburb in the city (your folks used to live there)

seriously the new gen are smarter... really?? or are they like : i want it all now but have no money just debt!!

Comment

Smarten up NZ

this country is getting millions exported offshore..were losing our next gen off shore, ...weve had multiple reputable finance companies gobbling loads of bling, ...we got CHCH ...EQ... we have invaders looking to take the best bits... and our BB gen is willing to sell to them ...

Thats what I call selfish... Sell the country like cheddar cheese on a plate to the highest bidder...

Well you will get yours ...and 10 times as bad

Comment

Mate im just trying to demonstrate that there's more than one way for young New Zealanders to get off the mark and get a slice of heaven.

Tell me why would a young person want to invest money into a Lemon? It seems the market is dominated by overpriced housing lemons... so I say... get creative...

I managed to build a small eco home on half an acre for just over 210 000 total in outskirts of a city. I enjoy the country drive, its therapeutic.

So Id say to Wayne im not smoking ... Im SMOKING!!

Comment

I managed to build a small eco home on half an acre for just over 210 000 total in outskirts of a city. I enjoy the country drive, its therapeutic.
              What is an 'eco home'? Outskirts of what city?

Comment

An eco home is an efficient home with a low carbon footprint

Ie the materials incorporated to build the home are mostly from renewable sources..
                It is positioned on the site to maximize solar gain in the winter... and to provide an airy shade over summer
                Also incorporates solar hot water and power, and a log burner to heat water with low power usage appliances, efergy energy monitor and switchgear , fully double glazed, wool/dacron blend insulation, open plan layout , for easy distribution of even temperature within..

Comment

And did you factor in extra travelling costs living on the outskirts? These add up over the life of a house.

Young people just need to est their priorties ie. own a house or going out every weekend drinking and wingeing about not being able to afford one.

They also need to align their expectations with their budgets ie champagne taste on a beer budget.

Myself and my brother brought our first house at 21 and 23 for $215,000 in 2007 close to Dunedin city (was $10 taxi ride at the time) easily do able when you stop wasting $$ on rubish you don't actually need.

Comment

But what they think they need and what you think they need are two quite different things, maccachic.

Comment

But at some stage you have to grow up and be realistic, a mansion on the harbour is never going to be a first home for the majority, but you can plan your way there.

Big bug bear for me is people who whinge about their current situation, but havent even considered making a change to improve it.

Comment

If its not much of a story why did you read , research and comment on it?

And it is a story... of a new trend unless your a bit slow.... you may not have picked up on it? People are choosing not to built on a fixed location but rather have a small house with wheels on it , and its not a caravan... its a small house with wheels...This is an innovation...And a way for young people to buy something better than the poor quality options on the market now...
                        Walt you sound like a troll or maybe just a tosser from most of your comments but I will rise to your bait anyway.

My comment that there wasn't much of a story was referring to the cost of building (i.e. building costs have risen faster than inflation but now exceptionally so).

With regards people moving into caravans or some such thing I haven't seen any evidence of it but maybe so on your planet?

Comment

I still think the issue stems from the cost of the land. When land is cheap people are more happy to do cheap things with it (small cheaper house or maybe a caravan or 2) but when it is expensive you don't wat the land making up >50% of the total value. People want to maximise it so build bigger, more expensive houses. They then make sections smaller so the cost goes down but it isn't long before supply and demand kick in and the smaller sections costs what the larger section did - IMHO.

Comment

Wouldn't have thought you could call it an eco house with double glazing. How much insulation is there?

True eco houses start at the passive house level - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_house

Comment

ok... this is my last post on this topic. The reason I posted it was for people that are interested in thinking outside the square to what other possibilities could be and was interested in like minded individuals contributing on similar subject matter.

I challenge you all to look at the new eco innovations like solar water heating etc as a viable options when building and I also challenge those who cant afford a large house to look at starting smaller but greener and adding on later.

Cheers

Comment

This guy seems to be doing well for himself-

www.tumbleweedhouses.com

Quite the growth industry seemingly. It would be a challenge to live in a 10m2 house though!

Comment

Working...
                                X