Soho dodgy carpet.... Something smells fishy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soho dodgy carpet.... Something smells fishy

I am a tenant living in the Soho apartments in Wellington. I had to move out two months ago but still kept paying rent as I was on a fixed term contract. Unfortunately my flatmate spilled some washing powder on the carpet while i was not there and it has created a small light brown stain, there is also carpet fraying from the edge which is defiantly not my fault. My property manager insists that i pay to get the whole carpet in the lounge and 2 bedrooms replaced due to this stain, I can't even repair the carpet as they "don't make the carpet anymore" according to the body corporate at Soho. This seems strange to me, why would you fill up 326 apartments with light colored carpet that stains REALLY easily if it was not replaceable?

Not to mention the security guard told me that 90 percent of tenants that loose their bond is because of the carpet, and all of those carpets get replaced with a darker much better quality carpet used with peoples bond money. He said that the Body Corporate knew they messed up with the carpet early on, so we the tenants have to suffer when it comes to poor quality carpet. Because "apparently" they do not make the carpet anymore it means i have to forfeit $1500 (Possibly have to pay more) replacing the WHOLE APARTMENT due to one small brown stain!

Can someone please tell me if i'm just being paranoid or is there actually something fishy going on...

Whether the body corp made a poor decision in selecting the carpet or not is not relevant to your situation. You are responsible for the damage.

Comment

Having said that, I'd possibly want to get a carpet supplier's advice on a repair and if it is possible (assuming like-for-like can be found) I'd argue that a repair is an acceptable solution. If they disagree then you'll see them at the tribunal.

Comment

Can the stain not be removed by a carpet cleaner?

Comment

I've paid for it too be cleaned twice, it is a very light stain hardly noticeable.

Comment

I hope there's more than one security guard or you may have just got him fired.

Comment

he does not work for Soho anymore fortunately, and infact told me to quote him if I have any trouble.

Comment

What you should do/should have done:

Take photos of the two areas of damage as soon as they were identified.
                Take photos of the stain after the cleaners had worked on it.
                Get and retain printed invoices from the carpet cleaners showing the work done and the cost involved.

You do not need to recompense the owners for 'fair wear and tear' that occurred during your tenancy.

From what you say, the frayed edge may well be classed as fair wear and tear and the stain my not be sufficiently significant to render the carpet unusable and the apartment untenantable until new carpet is installed.

Once you have the above documentation in place, I would adopt the attitude that you are entitled to your bond refund, and if they will not agree to that then a tenancy tribunal hearing that way to go.

Comment

Just as an aside I watched a guy many years ago repair a stain patch. He cut a section of same carpet out of a cupboard and spent an inordinate amont of time making the patch fit and lecturing me about the lie of the nap or something, but I recall afterwards I couldn't tell in all honesty where the repair was done and the cupboard section equally so. I guess with the right tradesman anything is possible.

Comment

^ x2

You can get the carpet repaired and the repair will be unnoticeable to to normal observer.....knew a guy who did it for a crust.

But IMHO a slight stain/mark counts as fair wear and tear and the PM is taking the piss.....replace the entire apartments carpet for one small stain....yeah right

Cheers
                    Spaceman

Comment

Thank you all for your suggestions!

Only thing is will I get stung if I replace the stained carpet from the wardrobe? I am willing to put new carpet in the wardrobe..
                      I am honestly sick to death with this property manager, I lost my job earlier in the year and have been paying $555 in rent a week which has put me under huge financial stress, paid a beak lease fee ($480) 2 months ago and only just recently did they find someone (I had previously organised for someone to take over the lease but they opted out as soon as I signed a new lease which means im paying to leases atm ). I am so poor now that I have to walk 3 hours to get to work because I cannot afford money for the bus. This is my first ever lease and honestly I'm so disheartened by the whole thing my hair is falling out, and my skin is out of control from the stress of it.

It would help if my PM was nice and offered to give me some advice or even willing to talk to me on the phone but she always threatens me with words like "court" even though I have never ever missed rent and never disagreed to fix repairs. She makes me feel very uncomfortable when i ask about things like rent in advance and she didn't want me at the final inspection? She talks to me like I'm dumb and stupid. She threatens me telling me that if the house isn't immaculate she will keep making me pay rent even though they have someone that wants to move in straight away. Just to clarify I spent 3 days by myself scrubbing and polishing EVERYTHING for the final inspection, everything from steam mopping the hardwood floors four times, to washing the walls three times so they look spanking new. Spent the very last bit of my money on 80 dollers worth of cleaning products, flatmate paid for rug doctor thank god!

I swear to god this is a very light stain, and if she does take me to court demanding the whole carpet be replaced not repaired I don't know what on earth im going to do, I simply am at my wits end

Comment

The PM works for the landlord and is not there to be your friend. On the other hand the tenancy tribunal is renowned for siding with the tenant. Next time she threatens you with the TT, just say "OK, no problem - see you there".

I appreciate your situation isn't nice, but please do grow some, or this woman will walk all over you.

Comment

Final inspection? Do you still have access to the place?

Comment

Final inspection has been done

Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
                            Final inspection? Do you still have access to the place?
                            she wouldnt let me at the final inspection and she now has all the keys, she expects me to keep paying rent untill the carpet is replaced? but I dont have keys to the place!

Comment

Run, don't walk, to the TT.

You should not be paying rent on a place you cannot occupy. I think you should take the view that your bond is refundable and call tenancy services. The first step to resolving your dispute will be assistance from a mediator. You will find that they are good listeners and happy to guide you through what is reasonable in your situation. If you let them know about your financial hardship you will probably be able to have things moved along quickly.

Comment

Working...
                              X