Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deemed (i.e. allowed) depreciation on sale?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deemed (i.e. allowed) depreciation on sale?

We are about to sell 3xIPs and I have some questions about the clawback of depreciation on sale.

1) When I originally purchased the IPs I had full chattels valuations done on purchase and since then I have been depreciating everything at the standard IRD rates. To avoid paying any clawback can I assume that each chattel's value is its book value? Or do I have to get a full chattels apportionment of market value done on sale? It would seem logical that I could just use the book values as these are what IRD (by using their rates) say the chattels are now worth. - This would imply that the increase in the property is in the land and (possibly) building structure.

2) Where a gain is made on sale the IRD publication IR260 states that you pay tax on the lesser of “the total depreciation that could have been deducted since the asset was purchased or first used in the business (this amount relates to the allowable depreciation deduction rather than the amount of depreciation actually deducted)...”

My question is about “allowable depreciation” Obviously this means that the clawback is not on the depreciation that I have actually claimed (e.g., because in some years I might have not claimed at all I was entitled to), but on what I should have claimed. But how do I calculate what this “allowed depreciation” should be. Is this allowed depreciation worked out using the SL or DV methods? Because it if was worked out using the DV method, then it would be a greater amount and the clawback on sale would thus be greater.

3) One of my IPs was bought before 1993. I notice that in this case, the rules say that the depreciation must be claimed at the ‘historic rates’ i.e., 2.5% using the SL method. My question: is the depreciation to be 2.5%SL only for years prior to 1993 or is that the rate I have to use right up until this year when I sell the building?

Any help would be appreciated.

Not an area that I know a lot about but my understanding is:
    1. You list the chattel value on your sale and purchase agreement (which would presumably be the book value). This way the clawback will only be the building depreciation.

2. Can't really comment apart from to say that I thought the decision to either to claim or not to claim depreciation had to be nominated at the start and couldn't be changed year to year.

An accountant who is experienced in property is probably the best place to go for advice.

John

Comment

Agree with JohnL comments:

1. you cant use Depreacted value as the value but if the values in the contract were these amounts (by coincidence) they must be used. Another PI might not like this writen down so: the other option is to get another chattels valuation done. give the valuer a copy of your current fixed asset table (with current tax values) and they will give you the true values. where there are grey areas, hopefully the tax value may influence them.

2. My guess is that you claimed the full amount. Just take the difference between sale price (as determined by 1. above) and the tax written down value.

3. not sure why you ar asking this now as you should ahve been doing it for the last 13 years!!! you should ahve been using the pre 93 rates as they apply to your purchase.

Edit:
      If you do your own taxes, it may be good for you to get an accountant to review prior to submission as this is a big year and there will be a higher risk of audit due to the events happening.

All comments above are all care no respocibility so talk to a paid profession.

Comment

Some interesting turns in this thread. My comments
        presume you are not selling to a PI person.

If you have agreed to the selling price, there is - as
        far as I'm aware - nothing to stop you listing all items
        covered by the sale, in the agreement, at your book
        value for each depreciable item. A non PI person isn't
        interested in what the stove is valued at, just what's
        being paid for the whole deal. Consequently, there's
        unlikely to be any demur on a detailed list of items
        and values in the purchase agreement.

That avoids all depreciation claw-back and obviates
        the other matters of SL, etc.

Comment

Working...