Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capital Gains Tax? Keep related posts in this thread, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There was a most interesting opinion article published in the Herald on Friday 12th February, written by Damien Venuto.

This article discusses how urban myths are established, oft repeated, and over time become treated as an established fact.

This would seem to explain why the 'unfair tax advantages for property investors' stance of so many people remains so powerful despite all the evidence that this is actually untrue. It would probably also explain why the 'CGT would reduce property prices' people insist that this would happen despite no evidence that this has actually been the result anywhere in the world where a CGT has been introduced.

"The enduring appeal of these false statements comes down to how often they've been repeated and shared innocently among friends.

Numerous studies since the illusory truth effect was first identified at a pair of US universities in 1977 have shown that our psyche has a glitch that makes us more likely to accept statements as factual when they are repeated over and over again."

Comment

• 1977?

Seemed to me that many had learnt from Herr Goebbels, before then.

Edward Bernays is another name that comes to mind. (Same general 'school,' as I saw them.)

That article's behind a paywall, BTW.

Last edited by Perry; 16-02-2021, 01:20 PM. Reason: Added Bernays' items

Comment

• Helpful to who? Not NZ's everyday citizens, of course.

Treasury: Capital gains tax would be helpful
        17 Nov 2021
        Originally posted by STUFFed
        Treasury officials have brushed off suggestions from Opposition MPs that they have become too relaxed about rising government debt but said a capital gains tax would help the Government’s accounts.

Deputy RBNZ secretary Bryan Chapple said the Treasury had been on record in its prior work with the Tax Working Group “as thinking that some sort of capital gains tax would be helpful”. “But that is a choice for the Government of the day, obviously,” he said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Perry View Post
          Helpful to who? Not NZ's everyday citizens, of course.

Treasury: Capital gains tax would be helpful
          17 Nov 2021
          They have several options to pay back the debt depending on which government controls treasury.

1:CGT. /left

2: Immigration/Right

3: Increase GST /Right

4 : Increase business tax/Left

5/Increase income tax/Left

6: Increase productivity/not me I'm retired that's someone else's problem.

Comment

Working...
          X