• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• America’s homes have evolved

America’s homes have evolved
    By Texas A&M, David S. Jones
    Aug 24, 2005

Unless you see a 30-year-old home sitting next door to a new one, it’s hard to appreciate how America’s homes have evolved over the last three decades.

Unfortunately for me, the differences are all too apparent — I live in a 1974-era home and have a job that allows me to tour new homes with the latest innovations. Each year I get to see just how much out-of-date my existing home is.

For one thing, the average American home is bigger. In 1970, the average size was 1,500 square feet. Today it’s more than 2,320 square feet. In 1971, 65 percent of new homes completed were less than 1,600 square feet. Only 22 percent of new homes are built that small these days. Most (41 percent) new homes built today are in the 1,600- to 2,399-square-foot range. Back in 1986, only 7 percent of new homes contained 3,000 or more square feet. Today 19 percent are that big.

Despite the aging population, more homes are two or more stories. Perhaps that’s because lots are getting smaller, and the only direction for builders to go is up. According to the National Association of Home Builders, 52 percent of new homes completed in 2003 had two or more stories. In 1971, only 17 percent were more than a single story.

Americans love affair with the bathroom has blossomed as well. In 1971, 15 percent of new homes had 2½ or more baths. Today 56 percent of new homes can make that claim. From 1983 to 2003, the number of new homes completed with three or more bathrooms jumped from 12 percent to 22 percent.

But not everything is increasing. New homes with one or more fireplaces completed in 2003 fell to 59 percent after reaching 63 percent in 1995. Thirty years earlier, 36 percent of new homes had that many fireplaces.

Nationally, 86 percent of new homes come with central air conditioning. Of course, we know that’s a lot higher in Texas. In 1971, 36 percent of new homes were that cool.

The standard eight-foot ceiling remains the preferred first-floor ceiling height; it can be found in 45 percent of new homes. However, the nine-foot ceiling is a close second; 42 percent of new homes have the extra foot of room. Fifteen percent of new homes have first-floor ceilings higher than nine feet.

New homes come with lots of options. So-called specialty rooms are among them. For example, 4 percent of new homes have an exercise room. Eight percent have a media room, and 8 percent have a sun room. But by far the home office is the most popular specialty room; it can be found in 25 percent of new homes.

Outside, 56 percent of new homes come with a front porch. Of course, there aren’t many days in Texas when you can sit there and enjoy this most popular outdoor feature, but porches do provide shade and keep the inside cool. Patios are the second most popular outdoor feature; 49 percent of new homes have them. Decks can be found with 35 percent of new homes built in America today.

That’s about it for what buyers actually get in an average new home. Next time, we’ll cover what they wish they were getting.

News source:

Regards
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx
Working...
X