Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replacing wood burner - plans and permits needed AGAIN ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing wood burner - plans and permits needed AGAIN ?

My property manager thinks we need to get a building permit to put a replacement wood burner into the property.
    Really ???

This is what she says ....

Fire place – I have spentquite considerable time on this for you and confirm that every fireplace thatis installed at a property, new or replacing an existing requires a new permit.

.... floor plan documentation foryou to sign for Council permit

I think this is right BK.

They gotta get your money somehow dude
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
      I think this is right BK.

They gotta get your money somehow dude
      This Health and Safety stuff is killing me with increased rental costs (well annoying me anyway)
      They wont even let the tenant unscrew a panel and adjust the hot water temperature down, we have to get in a qualified electrician in case they electrocute themselves.

I wonder whether heat pump is smarter now than fireplace for a rental, as property manager thinks cost is about the same as a new fireplace.
      At least we don't need involve council and costs to inspect or repair each year are not there.
      And tenant can pay for the fun of operating it with their power bill.

Only risk with heatpump / hrv, is that P smokers will spread the love around your whole house.

Comment

Fire place – I have spentquite considerable time on this for you and confirm that every fireplace thatis installed at a property, new or replacing an existing requires a new permit.

.... floor plan documentation foryou to sign for Council permit
        does he know what he is doing It is afterall a consent not a permit?

Also as a building element it can be replaced with comparable assembly under schedule 1 in the same position under clause 1 (2)

Do get an approved installer and producer statement for your records and to cover insurance. The install still has to comply with the building code but does not need a consent.

agree with comments on heat pumps
        as energy work they are self certifying

Now the question is does the removal of a redundant wood burner need consent...... You can remove parts of a damaged building under clause 30 so I guess this means taking a sledge hammer to burner first?

further to above
        I checked and there is a provision in schedule 1 cl 31 that allows removal of a 'building element' without consent so that covers my last
        Last edited by John the builder; 19-07-2016, 10:43 AM. Reason: further info

Comment

if there is a new flue there needs to be scaffolding as well, cant just stand on the roof

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
            if there is a new flue there needs to be scaffolding as well, cant just stand on the roof
            I have a free one that I ripped out from a reno that I just did.

I want that put it, now I have all this palava to go through as well.......

- Send through photos of the existing fire placealong with make and model he will be able to confirm if this fire placecomplies with regulations, if it can be installed or not.

- If it complies he will go to the property and quoteto have this installed, he will arrange floor plan and all documentation foryou to sign for Council permit and installation.

- If it doesn’t comply – he will arrange to quote tohave a new one installed – including having the existing one removed.

Comment

Working...
            X