Credit checks warning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Credit checks warning

No doubt many here will already know this but for those who aren't aware...

Banks and lenders love doing credit checks, obviously, and often not even for lending. I have had 3 recent checks done - 2 for business merchant services and 1 to open a transaction account with CoOp (Just to have a look - I don't think I will switch). By my reckoning this has cost about 24 points as it appears to cost 8 points each.

Now I am enquiring about finance. Some lenders like NZCU want to do a credit check before they can even quote me a rate. So far only the mortgage broker has accepted a copy of a very recent check I obtained from the bank at the time of the merchant services application, but even he has indicated he may need to do one at some point. Every other lender wants to do their own to even look at an application.

Each credit check comes with a cost and some/most lenders have credit score as a criteria.

I'm seeing my credit score (which was described by 2 banks as "very good") go down and I haven't borrowed a damn dime.

Every time your credit is checked that is recorded against your file and it actually reduces your credit score.

Comment

Does that apply to when you do the free check as well?

Comment

Originally posted by fredt View Post
        Does that apply to when you do the free check as well?
        I don't think so because that doesn't show on the report.

On that topic - Don't request a free report through the online form. Instead write to them quoting the Privacy Act 1993. Include your full name, present address, previous address and date of birth (note: see s.45 of the Act)

They will almost certainly write back trying to push you into the online form. This is intentional on their part to try and shape the scope of the request. At this point you will have to ram it home and quote Principle 6 (does not state a form in which application must be made) and s.30 (They can't refuse except as allowed) of the Act to them.

I have personally tested this at the Privacy Commissioner who upheld a request does not have to be on a specific form and can even be made verbally.

A bit of blah blah will go back and forth as they try every trick in the book to throw you off course. I've done this a few times before (and prevailed every time) so it didn't deter me.

Eventually they will hand it over (that was my experience) - because they have no other choice - possibly along with other insightful stuff which you wouldn't otherwise have got.

The next step is to check everything which shows on there and argue it if necessary. This includes the codes with each credit check. They are intentionally vague but you can call them up and ask them what they mean... RM is residential mortgage, CF is consumer finance, OD is overdraft, LP is lending product (can be a credit card) and CC is credit card. The reason for this is these are sometimes - probably often - miscategorised.

If a bank (etc) did a credit check for a non lending product (transaction account for example) and used "CF" or any code other then "savings account" (for example) get it changed. I am not sure what the short code is for savings account but I should know soon. I am not sure if this will alter the credit score but I have confirmed lending managers do look at what the check was for.

Everything I have heard is the less lending/credit applications the better. The fewer checks the better.
        Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 29-04-2016, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
          On that topic - Don't request a free report through the online form. Instead write to them quoting the Privacy Act 1993. Include your full name, present address, previous address and date of birth (note: see s.45 of the Act)
          May I ask why?

Comment

Originally posted by fredt View Post
            May I ask why?
            Why what specifically? I thought I had answered the "why" here:

Eventually they will hand it over (that was my experience) - because they have no other choice - possibly along with other insightful stuff which you wouldn't otherwise have got.
            (emphasis added)

Comment

If you can get finance why would you invest your time to do this? If you can't what difference will a few point be to your application?

Your tips might be handy if you're in a position where credit is rejected but how bad does your score need to be to be worrying about 24 pts on your credit score?

Comment

Originally posted by Don't believe the Hype View Post
                Your tips might be handy if you're in a position where credit is rejected but how bad does your score need to be to be worrying about 24 pts on your credit score?
                You don't understand, obviously. It's not about good/bad because these are assessed by lenders in bands. If you are in the top tier band, why would you take the risk of going down?

Comment

Why what specifically? I thought I had answered the "why" here:

(emphasis added)
                  Ah was quite hidden amongst your overall message. Thanks!

Comment

One amusing anecdote I heard from another forumite who was also in a business that made credit checks was that if your name does not appear in the results, they panic, because you have no history. (My in-her-eighties mother ran into a similar problem: the penalty for paying as she went.) Hell, you may even be using a false name.

Comment

Perry that is true... It is an issue for those who have tried to get finance in US to buy property there over past decade. No credit history makes it very difficult to secure finance. The bank suggestion to me was to get a US credit card and use it to establish some sort of credit history.

i was later told but can't confirm that a US credit rating is linked to your US social security number which I understand is very difficult to obtain so using a US credit card without SS no. won't help you create a credit history.

Comment

I thought we were talking about New Zealand?

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                          One amusing anecdote I heard from another forumite who was also in a business that made credit checks was that if your name does not appear in the results, they panic, because you have no history.
                          Very true.

My first wife came out of a controlling marriage where her husband had done all the finances and had everything in just his name.

When she went to buy a car I got her to arrange a 12-month loan for the purchase, even though she could have paid cash, just to establish a credit history.

Comment

How long does a mortgage credit check stay on your credit report?

Comment

Originally posted by Learning View Post
                              How long does a mortgage credit check stay on your credit report?
                              5 years. From what I have heard, they affect the score for 2 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X