Excess Possessions in House

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Excess Possessions in House

Tenants have excess possessions. Garage is full from the workbench to the door, far too much furniture for the size of the house, always moving furniture around to accommodate more. Shed 3/4 full of stuff just chucked in. I recently did an inspection and unfortunately I was not happy with what I have seen and questioned the real state of cleanliness of the premises, to which he agreed. We are unable to check an internal guttering in the garage due to the amount of gear. I also have concerns on air flow to walls which is being blocked and consider chests of drawers in the hallway a Health & Safety issue, not only to them but to any workman I employ on the premises. I have not been able to find anything on the internet regarding excess possessions, but have suggested via a follow up inspection letter to place in to a storage unit items they are not using and to keep to hallway area clear. Not sure whether I have done the right thing, and just need a bit of guidance. I am not able to visually check carpets and walls due to the amount of furniture. Things are starting to get out of hand.
    Last edited by Pataka; 14-04-2016, 03:51 PM.

IT is a fire hazard if nothing else. Give them a notice to remedy immediately. i am sure Keys/Glenn will comment in more detail but get it sorted now! If you have a fire there insurance may not pay out.

Comment

Thanks Damap for your response, unfortunately my standards are pretty high in my own home and know that everyone lives differently, just worried I am over stepping the mark, but I need to nip this in the bud now.

Comment

"reasonably clean and reasonably tidy"

www.3888444.co.nz
        Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks Keys, I just wish they wouldn't use the word "reasonably" this word is too open to interpretation.

Comment

If you are unhappy with the situation and unsure of your ground of issuing a notice-to-remedy etc, then just issue a 90 day notice to vacate.
            Assuming this is periodic tenancy.
            Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Consider the effect no ventilation is having to your property. Piles of junk stop air flow and causes mold.

www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks Damap for your response, unfortunately my standards are pretty high in my own home and know that everyone lives differently, just worried I am over stepping the mark, but I need to nip this in the bud now.
                It's a fire hazard and is jeopardising your insurance, make them fix it immediately is my advice, or give them notice as Rev said.

Comment

Yes I have given them 3 months not 14 days to rectify issues, only because it gives them time to sell some of the stuff. Some of the issues can be rectified immediately ie drawers in hallway. Will see what transpires over the next few months, if no improvement will give 90 days. I admit I have backed off without saying anything due to my own standards which people give me grief about as being high. The letter I sent also gave them a rev up on a couple of tenancy breaches. Really considering getting out of rental market, at my age I can't be bothered with grief.

Just another question, if I paid someone to paint house how much would I get back. Rental runs at a loss and owned for 6 years. Just trying to hang in there for capital gains which is now starting to move in the Wellington area.

Comment

Remember to account for income tax on the profit on sale.

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks just read the IRD site re this.

Comment

Have you read the IRD booklets Rental Income and Depreciation. Basically are you claiming everything you can. And is the rent set at market rates.

After 6 years, a repaint can reasonably be expensed as maintenance.

Comment

Yes rent at market rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pataka View Post
                            Really considering getting out of rental market, at my age I can't be bothered with grief.
                            There is the benefit of getting a Property Manager. You'll rid yourself of the stress and therefore hang-in there for the potential capital gains.
                            Premium Villa Holidays in Turkey

Comment

Been there many years ago due our own home property we had to rent for 2 years and the service i received not the best. Have property managers got any better?
                              Last edited by Pataka; 17-04-2016, 10:36 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X