Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bathroom fittings - cost vs durability (again)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bathroom fittings - cost vs durability (again)

OK. So what's the latest consensus thinking on the cost v quality (really durability) trade-ff for bathroom fittings.

There's a big cost difference between the traditional NZ name brands (Methven, Newline, Clearlite, Toto, Dux,etc) and the direct Chinese imports. I notice now that even Placemakers are stocking a cheaper line which looks a lot like the generic direct import stuff.

The conventional wisdom seems to have been that it's better to stick to the well-known brand stuff - especially for tapware - because it is better 'quality' which seems to mean will last longer, or at least is easier to fix if something does go wrong. Also, it spares you all those caustic remarks from plumbers about cheap Chinese toilets!

But given the $$$ difference, is it really worth it. Especially for things like shower trays and cubicles, and vanities. And perhaps toilets.

Speaking of toilets, is it better to opt for the allegedly easy cleaning of the back to wall, or for the easier-to-fix-if-it-all-goes-horribly-wrong, expose-it-all close-coupled toilet?

Your latest thinking please as I know things change all the time (except for those that don't).

I have to laugh at Toto, having spent a lot of time in Japan it's everywhere. Then when I went to Thailand for work years ago the nicest building I saw was probably driving past a Toto showroom that would have made Apple envious.

I'm not a builder but I've paid to replace and fix leaky and old bathroom fittings and the cost was not just the shower or toilet, but also wall, lino, floor, labour, plumber callout on the weekend etc.
    Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Toilets - don't get the cheaper ones with exposed traps and cisterns attached by a pipe.
      You want one that hides most things (doesn't have to be fully back to the wall) and a close coupled cistern.
      The cleaner will thank you for it, they look better and don't cost much more at all.

Taps - cheap and nasty is just that.
      But expensive isn't necessarily better than middle range in terms of quality. Often you are paying for the name and 'style'.
      Just purchased 2 house lots of Stream (Aquatica) from Mitre10. They look good and solid.

Comment

Any other recommendations for Bathroom tapware, shower sliders etc?

Comment

There is some imported stuff that is OK. I've done several bathrooms and kitchens in the last 2 years and used a lot of stuff from Bath and Tile. Their gear is reasonably priced, looks great and so far is good quality.
          Trade Depot in Takanini also import some better quality stuff.
          I have found the Bunnings Mitre 10 PLacemakers cheap ranges to be complete rubbish. Have had them strip and get damaged just trying to fit them.
          Cabinets I always get made. You can get great quality locally made for not much more than the imports.
          Peter Hay Outlet store in Wiri have great vanity tops and seconds or samples of various kitchen bathroom stuff. I've found real bargains there, especially for a rental where you can be flexible on colours.

Comment

Working...
          X