Is this Legal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Legal?

This ad from Ray White seems off to me....

Looking to rent in New Zealand? Be sure to check out our detailed list of available properties. Find your dream home in a matter of seconds.

Charging 50 per week for water and rent of $600, then combining those to come up with four weeks bond?

I thought that was illegal...

Rung the agent who assured me it was quite legitimate and that I was wrong.

Unusual from a large Property Management firm....

Charging tenant fixed part of water rates is not allowed. But I think they messed up with wording - most likely they mean they will charge $50pw for consumption of water. But still it's questionable since they can't charge you more than you actually used up

Comment

I'm confused. Why not just charge $650 pw rent and don't worry about the water? What's the reasoning here, Tax implications, something else?

Russell

Comment

It does seem to be $650 per week with water included, but they probably want to advertise at $600 per week to get the advertisement to pop up in the right price search.

Comment

Ok... So misleading advertising then? Anyone got the Commerce Commission email?

Russell

Comment

Originally posted by Shalodge View Post
            Ok... So misleading advertising then? Anyone got the Commerce Commission email?

Russell
            My main concern is that if they are saying the 50$ is for water it isn't part of the rent.... Therefore they are illegally asking for more than 4 weeks bond (4 x 600 = 2400) and they are asking for the weekly water charge to be included and asking for 650 x 4.

Comment

Ok then .. rent my place .. 3 brm on the beach at Ohope .. $50 per week. (Plus garage @ $200 pw, plus Vege garden and shed $250 pw)

Comment

C'mon, Russell - you missed one bit.

T&C Apply.

Comment

Most likely reason why they are asking fixed payment for water: in addition to the advertised part, the property has a 1-bedroom granny flat with its own living room, bathroom and even laundry. Granny flat is not a separate household, so it doesn't have its own water connection to the street, and probably doesn't even have a check meter installed, so there's no way to measure actual water consumption separately. I wonder if they have one or two hot water cylinders

Comment

Originally posted by Shalodge View Post
                    Ok then .. rent my place .. 3 brm on the beach at Ohope .. $50 per week. (Plus garage @ $200 pw, plus Vege garden and shed $250 pw)

Sounds good so long as you make the small print bits optional

Comment

$50/week for water is huge isn't it?
                      It's a bit of a rout.
                      (Which is actually the wrong use of the word but sounds better than 'rip off')

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                        $50/week for water is huge isn't it?
                        It's a bit of a rout.
                        (Which is actually the wrong use of the word but sounds better than 'rip off')
                        The word is "rort"
                        You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

Ah yes - that's the one

Comment

$2.5K per year for water is taking the mickey. I would counter by saying you're happy to pay the water bill for the property and for them to simply forward the invoice from council.
                            Free online Property Investment Course from iFindProperty, a residential investment property agency.

Comment

Working...
                            X