Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shower replacement - how difficult is the DIY job, and/or builder recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shower replacement - how difficult is the DIY job, and/or builder recommendations?

Hi all

We're looking to replace the shower in our unit in Panmure. Currently have a basic shower unit installed and when we purchased the property, a medium moisture reading came through behind the shower lining (Hopefully not anything too major!). Going to replace the unit to ensure we remove any rot behind the shower lining and for a general upgrade (Tightened seals, improved look) as the shower is 15+ years old.

Reaching out for any information on whether to stay away from replacing shower units myself (building experience is very limited) and calling in a builder, or is this something that with enough time and care taken, an effective DIY job can be completed? What experiences have people had?

What builders would people recommend in the Eastern suburbs who have performed good value for money jobs?

What shower units would be recommended that are of reasonable quality, but that are't top of the range, bearing in mind this is a 3BDRM rental, within a complex in Panmure (Renting for $470PW), not a top of the line city apartment.

Many thanks,
    Mike

if the property is rented currently, then I suggest you get a builder and a shower installer lined up. No doubt once you remove the shower, you'll find rotten gib, floor and possibly studs. If you take it on yourself then you may quickly find yourself overwhelmed with the work required to get it back together.

I've had some easy ones (solid timber polished floors and no rot), and some complete rebuilds (rotten particle board floor, rotten gib, so new plywood flooring, new slate underlay, new tiles, new gig, new plaster and paint, and then the shower install). Anything from a day, to a weeks work.

Can you get under the house to see the state of the floor? look for any discolouration, soft wood etc. If its sound then maybe give it a go, but have a builder on hand if needed.

also I recommend getting a shower installer unless you've done several of them in the past. They provide a warranty against leaks too. Note that they don't install the shower tray, and this must be level before they start.

Anything from clearlite or englefield are good for rentals in my experience. Parts are readily available. Around the $1300 mark depending on the size and features.

Comment

Thanks for the response. Currently owner occupied but we'll be renting the property after Christmas.

We're in a concrete complex therefore the only to check behind the shower is too literally rip it out. Thanks for the advice and providing your experience.

How long would the work take for a builder would you imagine? My thinking was I'd pull the shower out (to save us spending that time and money on the builder) then we'd live at a friend's for a few days whilst the shower is installed and seals and paint dry

Comment

Builders seem to be very busy these days, so if you start looking for a builder only after pulling the shower out, you'll probably end up living without shower for a while.

Comment

i fitted a shower in one of my places, its not rocket surgery but does require rudimentary building skills and patience trying to fit the glass/doors

Comment

at least get a registered plumber to fit the fittings for you, and give you some advice fitting a shower unit together.

i dont recommend diy shower units...

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
              i fitted a shower in one of my places, its not rocket surgery but does require rudimentary building skills and patience trying to fit the glass/doors
              Doors and side walls can be interesting.
              Last one I fitted was a curved one.
              I followed the instructions reluctantly, they didn't seem to add up, but they were right.
              What fooled me was the curved nature and the effect that has on the fitting.
              Anyway - the 1st one took me probably 45min, the 2nd took 10 once I had worked out the knack.

Wall linings - the all in one plastic ones.
              I struggle to get them glued right.
              Any hints jimO?
              I find the glue tries to set too fast and you can feel it through the lining.
              I'm thinking next time I'll screed it with a notched tile trowell (the V groove ones).

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                at least get a registered plumber to fit the fittings for you, and give you some advice fitting a shower unit together.

i dont recommend diy shower units...
                Agree with the 1st bit - don't want a leak behind the wall.
                But diy is fine if you have the skills.
                I don't recommend diy if you don't know what you are doing - know your limitations and know when to ask for help.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                  I don't recommend diy if you don't know what you are doing - know your limitations and know when to ask for help.
                  Yeah, most people will not have the skills to get it right... including myself!

Skills come from failures, and I personally would not try that on a rental shower...

I have just completed a DIY on my new rental with the help of my dad in law and uncle in law, and we still got a professional to install the bathroom wares.

Comment

Thanks all! Am thinking we'll remove the shower ourselves but leave the hard work to the plumbers/builders to ensure reduction in chance of weak seals/leaking in future! Much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by mjbayly View Post
                      Thanks all! Am thinking we'll remove the shower ourselves but leave the hard work to the plumbers/builders to ensure reduction in chance of weak seals/leaking in future! Much appreciated
                      Yes, that's what we did for our rental DIY just last month too.

Comment

Good idea - know your limits.
                        Hopefully it removes rather than just reduces the chance of a leak.

Comment

Good idea - know your limits.
                          Hopefully it removes rather than just reduces the chance of a leak.
                          Definitely. Any recommendations on builders who aren't overly expensive and will provide us with a good valued quote? Any idea of the time it should take a builder/plumber to install a new shower? Trying to gauge how much time we should be anticipating to be charged for.

Comment

Definitely. Any recommendations on builders who aren't overly expensive and will provide us with a good valued quote? Any idea of the time it should take a builder/plumber to install a new shower? Trying to gauge how much time we should be anticipating to be charged for.
                            every job is different, ask for a quote

Comment

Shower Crewe they do shower installs from Bombay to Waiwera, one stop shop and they probably provide guarantee as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X