Minor Dwelling and Water + Waste Connection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minor Dwelling and Water + Waste Connection

Has anyone gone through this process recently.

Existing house has its own water connection and meter.

Watercare claim that to connect a new minor dwelling (60sqm) the cost will be around $9000 and you can add a meter to this for an additional $600

This is outside of the development contribution to Auckland council of approximately $12,000

Can anyone tell me if this is correct or can i just extend the line from the existing dwelling and install a check meter and not pay the $9000

As with the waste drain, doses this connect to existing drainage or will it be a new connection to the main line.

Would really appreciate some input from someone who has gone through this process before.
    Thanks much
    Aaron

Yes, that's what I paid, and that was a pre-requisite for building consent (Waitakere council), i.e. building consent process was paused until Watercare confirmed that these charges have been paid for.

Also the $12,000 development contribution is only for minor dwellings up to 60sqm. In Waitakere where 65sqm is allowed too, if you go for 65sqm, the development contribution is $20,732 (GST included).

Fee code Fee description Fee amount

DCOSL1 DEV CON - Open space land (AKL wide) 7,886.70
    DCSTW2 DEV CON - Stormwater (Urban AKL serviced) 4,666.70
    DCTRA2 DEV CON - Transport (Mainland) 2,425.35
    DCTRA1 DEV CON - Transport (AKL wide) 1,622.65
    DCPTR1 DEV CON - Public Transport (AKL wide) 1,666.35
    DCCSF3 DEV CON - Comm service facilities (West) 936.10
    DCCSF1 DEV CON - Comm service facilities (AKL wide) 254.15
    DCLRF3 DEV CON - Local recreation facilities (West) 1,129.30
    DCRRF1 DEV CON - Regional rec facilities (AKL wide) 144.90

Comment

I think that check meter is a pain (not sure if it is allowed for MDU, but probably quite common for sleep outs in South AKL) - you have to check it monthly, split Watercare bill, or alternatively include water into rent which is probably even worse.

With proper MDU water connection you receive one bill per month and the volumetric charges are split in the bill between the two dwellings.
      Last edited by ivanp; 22-10-2015, 03:09 PM.

Comment

It is correct, a minor dwelling will always need a separate water meter.

With other services such as stormwater, you can sometimes get away with sharing the same one as the house although this would preclude future subdivision.

Comment

You will just have to suck it up really.
          New water connection (minor subdivision) in Hamilton cost the enormous sum of $441 which seemed fair for the amount of work involved

Comment

Hi Wayne, Are sure it cost $441.00 for a minor dwelling water connection in Hamilton? Last time when I asked for a separate water connection for a MDU HCC told me to tap it off from existing connection. Free of charge. This was 6 months ago.

Only charge was standard DC : $ 4900.00

Rates are $500 bucks per year for my MDU. Obviously includes free water in Hamilton

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
            You will just have to suck it up really.
            New water connection (minor subdivision) in Hamilton cost the enormous sum of $441 which seemed fair for the amount of work involved

Comment

Originally posted by Beginner1 View Post
              Hi Wayne, Are sure it cost $441.00 for a minor dwelling water connection in Hamilton?
              That's what I paid back at the end of April this year - 2 new connections at $441.41 incl each

Comment

Any new and separate Household unit with full services of water and cooking facilities etc require separate water and electric meter...
                ie: sleep-out or office/ garage doesn't.
                New Zealand's #1 Marketplace for Property Investors & Sellers!
                FREE Access to HOT Property Deals
                CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.

Comment

May be I got lucky, didn't pay anything for water connection. Mine was end of April this year as well. Building another MDU now, see how this will go.

Comment

Working...
                  X