Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Bad Mouthing and Selective Reporting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Bad Mouthing and Selective Reporting?

Rental nightmare: Are our tenants second-class citizens?

Originally posted by Stuff
    Damp spongy floors, peeling wallpaper and the smell of "mud" and "pond water" are recognisable descriptors to anyone who has lived with mould – which, it turns out, seems to be most Auckland renters. Andrew King from the Property Investors Federation, whose group represents about 6000 landlords owning 22,000 properties, says that some of the power to stop it is in their hands. He says tenants often do things that encourage mould, such as not heating homes and drying clothes on clothes racks. "A lot of tenants actually keep their curtains closed during the day. Both parties need to take responsibility for mould."

Similarly, Housing Minister Nick Smith is proposing a $1.5 million education programme as part of his Minimum Standards bill to educate tenants and landlords about mould.
    "The Green Party says mould is solely the responsibility of landlords," says Smith in response to their alternative draft amendment to the Residential Tenancies Act of 1986. "But professional advice I have received is that mould largely depends on the way tenants are ventilating their homes." But the renters Sunday Star-Times interviewed, at least, have gone above and beyond their duties in ventilation – often spending lots of money on dehumidifiers and heat pumps – and find Smith's comment patronising.

More....

I'm sure this is all Glens fault somehow ...............jk...

Cheers
    Spaceman

Comment

What's the answer to all this, then? The cry:

I want a better rental but I don't want to pay for it, is the common denominator!

Who is it that's being unrealistic? Aside from tartar Turei, of course!

Comment

"I want a warmer home, but I can't afford turning on the 20 heat pumps that my landlord just installed..."

Comment

Originally posted by spaceman View Post
          More....

I'm sure this is all Glens fault somehow ...............jk...

Cheers
          Spaceman
          Prob this fault: http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/n...benefit-ripoff

Comment

What an amazing deal! Stay at home for four months and do 140hrs work, to effectively be paid $40k.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
              Pretty sure he was the boyfriend .................................................. ..............jk .....

Cheers
              Spaceman

Comment

I suppose one of the scary things about all this drivel is this comment:
                Housing Minister Nick Smith is proposing a $1.5 million education programme as part of his Minimum Standards bill to educate tenants and landlords about mould.
                Who needs educating about living conditions predisposing mould?

I.e. The gummint is now taking on the task of nappying tenants who don't know how to live properly. Where to next?
                Last edited by Perry; 24-09-2015, 11:06 PM.

Comment

They would be better to spend the money educating them on how to not abuse their kids etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                    I suppose one of the scary things about all this drivel is this comment:Who needs educating about living conditions predisposing mould?

I.e. The gummint is now taking on the task of nappying tenants who don't know how to live properly. Where to next?
                    Who needs educating about mould? The media for a start, as they nearly always report it as totally the landlord's fault the property is 'cold, damp and mouldy'. After all, how often is the tenant said to be at least partly responsible for cold, damp and mouldy. Those of us who are owners know even our own homes can have issues, and many are the result of the way the place is used.

Perhaps the education programme will cover - ventilation, unflued gas heaters, cleaning, and of course why it is the landlord's responsibility to pay the tenant's power bill so they can afford to turn on heaters.

Comment

I dimly recall one comment on these forums about a LL
                      that moved on and turned their ex-PPOR into a rental.
                      A rental that - golly gosh - suddenly had some mould
                      and dampness problems.

What changed?

Well, we all know the answer to that, don't we!

But on the darker side, if the gummint is now taking
                      on the task of nappying tenants who don't know how
                      to live so as to avoid mould problems, what will the
                      next propaganda (sorry - education) be focussed on?

How to use a tin opener?
                      How to grow vegetables?
                      How to make a bed?
                      How to hang clothes in a wardrobe?

The list would be endless.
                      Last edited by muppet; 27-09-2015, 01:11 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Well there is a text reminder to some beneficiaries to brush their teeth. Definitely sounds nanny state, but actually it would be a cheap way to help at least some of them avoid hefty dental bills and gaps in the grin, if they get into the habit. Dental bills many won't incur anyway as they don't have $$$ for the dentist.

Maybe landlords will be able to give tenants mobile numbers to the government for a twice daily text reminder to open the windows. Just kidding ... but maybe not completely.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                          Well there is a text reminder to some beneficiaries to brush their teeth. Definitely sounds nanny state, but actually it would be a cheap way to help at least some of them avoid hefty dental bills and gaps in the grin, if they get into the habit. Dental bills many won't incur anyway as they don't have $$$ for the dentist.

Maybe landlords will be able to give tenants mobile numbers to the government for a twice daily text reminder to open the windows. Just kidding ... but maybe not completely.
                          I believe WINZ has grants for dentists at least that's what an acquaintance had great pleasure in telling us when he found out what we paid for dental car.

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                            well there is a text reminder to some beneficiaries to brush their teeth. ......
                            RLY?

Cheers
                            Spaceman

Comment

How to use a tin opener?
                              How to grow vegetables?
                              How to make a bed?
                              How to hang clothes in a wardrobe?
                              KFC doesn't come in a tin mate.

What's a vegetable? You're talking complicated science stuff there man!

I don't make beds, I just get them from WINZ, much easier eh?

We don't got no coat hangy things so we can't really do that.
                              Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Working...
                              X