Header Ad Module

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Property Managers - Auckland Efficient, Reasonable & Ethical Anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Managers - Auckland Efficient, Reasonable & Ethical Anyone?

How has it been your experiences with Property Management? individually with PM, their Manager & the Company?

When no luck with PM and when you are certain that your claim is reasonable have you have been continually bullied by their highter management did you ever take those matters to Fair Go or DT Small Claims?

How did you find their systems/help? Who do you use as advisers/consultants

I'll try to explain in brief one of the worst PM/the company we had how they muddled it up and cost us over $10k LOSS so far.

A leading PM company manages the property we bought (Aug 2014) with tenants. We let the PM to contine with existing tenants. It noticed unkept house gardens rubbish inside outside during the 'pre inspection' before the settlement of the house we bought in Aug 2014 & 'warned' PM to keep 'close eye' & asked/emailed to keep all communications with us via emails pertain to this property.

We noticed few lapses of Rent arrears & asked PM why not any actions taken,then, the PM applies for TT Order & a sealed Fast Track Order is issued by TT .( the debt was for $750 , in Oct 2014) a detailed payment plan is agreed with a consequential clause to end the tenancy & ownership is granted to the landlord/in this case to the PM & PM must apply within 90 days. (I noticed Rent is again in arrears emailed PM, she ignored all mails)My biggest question to you, is when the Tenant (who has been very incosisten throughout with payments) has NOT kept to the payment plan agreed, ie breached the sealed order, is it acceptable the agent to go on chasing tenants for payments /leaving notes/sending texts/leaving 14 day letters, till (it passes the 90 day period that allowed to action termination & eviction ??

Arrears accumulated to $2900. AND then PM applies to TT a NEW application for Termination ???

Is this 'reasonable property management' from a PM company?

Is this not severe negligence - the failure to exercise due care to prevent foreseeable harm.

Is it acceptable ,reasonable management style from a Property Manager?

(NOTE: It didn't just 'terminate' there, as PM was 'sick' & the NEW Hearing has been postponed by PM company to a later date?? and the debt continues adding & needed applied Eviction.

I wrote to the manager of the branch, and regional manager and his manager so on with incidences in the past as in a time line, that they continually have lapsed :

• professionalism not limited to poor communication & drastically reduced the quality of the service provided.
    • taking in charge of their responsibilities and
    • taking accountability for the tasks they were assigned of
    • Knowledge & Training it could possibly be due to insufficient training or experience that could have resulted in services not being performed to an appropriate standard
    • breach of contract,
    • severe negligence - the failure to exercise due care to prevent foreseeable harm. Due care in this case would be that degree of care that a reasonable property manager would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances
    • failure to inspect properties properly only to to name a few.

They as a company continued to NOT to do any/every thing any reasonable property manager would have done

The Debt (Arrears over $4500 plus repairs damages rubbish removal etc) sits over $10,000. Halfway through (after Eviction) the PM company, which is the Largest RE company, when complained to the Management, they strategically 'withdrew' managing the property by writing a letter and lied that the owner accessed the tenants whilst they were managing the property, with no any evidence - which I NEVER did enter to the property. This is only a glimpse of the full story.

The Manager of PM acknowledged that all communications with me were in emails & when asked him to prove if any instance they asked for a face to face meeting, to untangle the PM issues, then his senior Manager responded to mail not addressing the questions I raised?.

Thus there has been at least 5-6 Managers who have been involved when escalated, in reply to my letter, they only wrote few lines and reiterated that they have done their best to offer the reasonable property management & have not been negligent. They clearly have been coerce and been using their superior strength to intimidate. They have been bullying us and the director wrote today that we may escalate it to any other authority if we wish to -I doubt that they must be very well insulated/ covered by big boys?

What would you do if you were me?

Today I am the victim, tomorrow, it might be you.

We manage over 30 rentals of ours, we NEVER had an instance of this much Arrears and unpleasantness. We had few instances with some arrears in $750 - $1850, but it was over 15yrs ago. For the period PM company managed ONE property, they made the worse mistakes a reasonable property manager/landlord would do.

Let me finish this off, with a one recent happening.

My first visit to TT after 15 yrs was yesterday, for the FOURTH application lodged by the PM for the same property, after eviction, seeking compensation to recover the cost for damages/cleaning and miscellaneous. It was applied by her before they withdrew from the management and I got tail end of it to attend the Hearing. I got the emails that I sent PM asking her to submit the quotes along with TTappplication instead she insisted that quotes are not accepted by TTapplications: I cut and pasted from Tenancy Act and cc to their business development manager and regional manager and area manager too to state that she must email the quotes as the quotes suffice at the time of application is made & can present the invoices at the Hearing, when they are ready. Instead she kept on asking me to take 'invoices' to the Hearing and quotes are not acceptable by TT.Yesterday at the Hearing, I had to present my self on behalf of PM company (to represent the mess PM created) as the PM company has withdrawn & PM didn't appear to Hearing ( thought their name was called by Registrar) . During the Hearing, the adjudicator adjourned the session: Tenant termination was over 2 months, and the TTapplication was submitted with no quotes/claims and asked me to provide the processing unit with an address to the tenants evicted to enable them to serve papers personally, before another Hearing is scheduled - which is quite normal. I had to agree with the adjudicator, it was no good, as the PM hasn't emailed the quotes to TTapplications, I only got involved halfway through their Application lodged - I talked to my self 'when you sleep with dogs you wake up with fleas'. I walked out of the Court Room, pondering that it was only another addition to "WORST PM PRACTICE" basket that we experienced for the last 11 months of "MANAGEMENT BULLYING' and they clearly have misinterpreted misrepresented every aspect of the Tenancy Law, which is why it led to over $10,000 debt, when it was clearly could have minimized when the debt was only for $750 few months back.

Today I am the victim, tomorrow, it might be you.

What would you do if you were the owner ?
    Last edited by donna; 07-08-2015, 12:19 PM. Reason: clarity

Name them here

Comment

Biggest RE company? B&T?

I have heard many horrible stories regarding property managers, I'm sure there's a lot of great ones out there, but a lot of bad too. Looks like i'll continue managing my own properties for the foreseeable future.

Where in Auckland was the property?

Comment

Hi Candice123,

Personally I think the warning signs were there for you from the start.....

A leading PM company manages the property we bought (Aug 2014) with tenants. We let the PM to contine with existing tenants. It noticed unkept house gardens rubbish inside outside during the 'pre inspection' before the settlement of the house we bought in Aug 2014 & 'warned' PM to keep 'close eye' & asked/emailed to keep all communications with us via emails pertain to this property.

and if it was me I would have bought the property with vacant possession - then tidied it up and selected my preferred property manager to tenant and manage it.

However I see you are saying....

We manage over 30 rentals of ours
        so why would you accept and use another property management company especially when it's clear their not as discerning as you?

As you say.....

I talked to my self 'when you sleep with dogs you wake up with fleas'.
        You have all the answers in your own post

Trust your own intuition and take control from the outset. Signs of mismanagement are 'signs of mismanagement' so get rid and set up your IP to succeed from the get go.

...no need to name and shame so to speak - and we wouldn't allow it on here in any case.

cheers,

donna
        Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Working...
        X