No announcement yet.

Should I buy a weatherside clad house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I buy a weatherside clad house?

I'm looking to buy a weatherside clad house for my PPOR. If you don't know about this problem here is a thread

The auction is a week away.
    The agent told me it was hardiplank, but I have discovered otherwise.
    I think it may be a popular property, and also don't think any other building inspection has been done on it yet, so guessing others are not really aware of the potential problem.
    The weatherboards do not appear damaged/unsound in any way. They have been painted well, and there is no obvious sign of deterioration, and house was built mid 70s, so maybe I will be fine to just buy anyway.
    Should I inform the agent so he can inform others so the competition will be less?
    Should I pay less for the property?
    Any idea what it would cost to reclad an average size 3 bedroom house these days?
    Any opinions and advice would be appreciated

Originally posted by Tortoise View Post
    Any idea what it would cost to reclad an average size 3 bedroom house these days?
    I'm just in the process of getting one quoted.

Originally posted by Tortoise View Post
    Any opinions and advice would be appreciated
    Well looked after weatherside last perfectly well, I'm really only recladding because of the shiplap that it's been mixed with has deteriorated a lot more and trying to tie in a new cladding material just doesn't make a lot of sense given the stigma that is now attached to weatherside, and any other 'suspect' cladding.

Comment

If the nail heads are sticking out on top of the cladding, then it's hardiplank.

If you can't see any nail heads at all, then yeah most likely weatherside.

I think weathersides have been stopped in the 70s.

Also I think Hardiplanks are 7.5mm thick, where weatherside is 10mm, not too sure about that.

As long as it is well maintained then it would be fine.

Although I heard that banks normally don't like it, but not as bad as plaster homes.

Comment

Once weatherside fails it turns to wet weetbix and pre GFC the banks would not lend against them. Allow for a reclad if you can get funding to buy it

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
          If the nail heads are sticking out on top of the cladding, then it's hardiplank.

If you can't see any nail heads at all, then yeah most likely weatherside.

I think weathersides have been stopped in the 70s.

Also I think Hardiplanks are 7.5mm thick, where weatherside is 10mm, not too sure about that.

As long as it is well maintained then it would be fine.

Although I heard that banks normally don't like it, but not as bad as plaster homes.
          Most of the above is incorrect. Gary probably knows very little about weatherside.

Tell the Agent. I think they will then be compelled to announce this at the Auction or defer the auction to give others to do further DD.

Comment

Originally posted by Aston View Post
            Most of the above is incorrect. Gary probably knows very little about weatherside.
            Then please enlighten us

Comment

There are plenty of threads on this site about weatherside. Do a search, if you are interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Aston View Post
                There are plenty of threads on this site about weatherside. Do a search, if you are interested.
                Oh I thought you know the facts, nevermind then.

Comment

i know the facts about weatherside

Comment

There is nothing wrong with weatherside cladding as long as it is maintained correctly (painted when needed etc). I have never had a bank ask me about whether the cladding was weatherside or not. They only question if it is plaster. Likewise, I have not had any issues with insurance.
                    www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                    # Property Management
                    # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

send an email to the agent asking if the vendors know of any issues either now or in the past with the weatherside cladding, and whether they would be prepared to rectify. The vendors may not even be aware of it being weatherside (most aren't). The agent should then disclose this to the rest of the potential bidders.

If no response prior to auction, then raise it at the time of the auction with the auctioneer. As in "are the vendors willing to rectify any current issues with the weatherside cladding prior to settlement"

Comment

Originally posted by Gladdynook View Post
                        send an email to the agent asking if the vendors know of any issues either now or in the past with the weatherside cladding, and whether they would be prepared to rectify. The vendors may not even be aware of it being weatherside (most aren't). The agent should then disclose this to the rest of the potential bidders.

If no response prior to auction, then raise it at the time of the auction with the auctioneer. As in "are the vendors willing to rectify any current issues with the weatherside cladding prior to settlement"
                        This makes it sound as if weatherside is an issue??
                        www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                        # Property Management
                        # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Thanks to Fair GO it was exposed as a problem and all owners who approached them were compensated by CHH.
                          I believe it's the glue binding that fails so some of it may be OK. Around 2008 I had 2 deals with weatherside I had to drop the banks saw it in the valuation and declined funding.
                          It is most definitely a problem although if it is not 40 years old and not Weetbix that particular property may be fine.
                          It should reduce the price significantly and re cladding will add value. i would definitely mention it at the auction FOR SURE!

Comment

I'm just in the process of getting one quoted.

Cool, I'll be interested to hear how you go. Anyone else have a rough idea? would 30k cover it?

Comment

If I email the agent, he could just say that it isn't a problem as there is no deterioration, and there is nothing to disclose to the potential buyers.
                              Maybe mentioning it on auction day is a good back-up plan.

Comment

Working...
                              X