Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficult Tenant/ Tenants Mother

Hi all

I'm at my wit's end and hoping someone can give me a small tidbit of advice.

I have studio rooms in Dunedin (7) in one complex. I have a mother of a tenant who is driving me mad with her constant texts! I've never actually heard from my tenant. She is complaining that the other tenants in the rooms are too noisy for her son, they do washing and slam doors during the night which keeps him awake. After her last text (last week) I asked her if he had talked to the other tenants to ask them to keep it down, I never got an answer to that question. Tonight I have had another text saying there is still too much noise for him and will I pay for him to move to a motel for 2 nights so he can get some sleep??!! My answer to this is a resounding NO. I have emailed and text all the other tenants in the building (twice) since her first text asking them to keep the noise down although I don't know it it's even an issue, this is the first complaint I have ever had regarding noise. There are 7 studio rooms in this relatively new building (4 years old) and I have owned them (we built them) for 4 years with no complaints from anyone ever. I haven't got back to her as yet as I'm just over it to be honest. I feel like telling her that unfortunately this is what happens in a living situation with 7 other tenants and that he maybe needs to harden up a little bit?! She has provided him with earplugs but that hasn't helped the poor wee sausage cope with other people living in the house. I will respond to her text tomorrow when my blood has stopped boiling but any clever ideas on what to say to her? I feel like I've done all I can, on top of moving him in to another room earlier in the year to try to minimise the amount of 'noise' he is exposed to, contacting all the other tenants and asking them to keep it down, what can I do? She can't seriously expect me to move him to a motel for 2 nights so he can sleep sweetly without interruption. Or can she?

I'm at my wits' end. The batch of tenants I have living here this year are more needy and demanding than I have ever known in my 15 years of having rental properties, what is going on with the youth (and their parents) of today? I get at least 5 - 10 texts a day from them wanting/demanding that I attend to some new whim. Don't even get me started on them locking themselves out at all hours of the night and demanding that I come and let them in immediately....which never happens. I didn't lock you out love.

Shares are looking like a very attractive investment option right now!

P.S. Sorry for the rant, I'm looking for a sensible and maybe witty response to this latest text/(rant) from the mother.

Oh and I should add that this tenant is due to move out in 2 weeks and I have someone moving in as soon as he goes. I was going to suggest that he moves out sooner (like tomorrow) if he likes, but my husband's response was that for the amount of work I have put into dealing with the mother over the last 6 months, as well as paying my cleaner to move him out of and into a new room, she can bl@@dy well pay for the last 2 weeks! All well and good for him, but at the end of the day he isn't dealing with the constant headache!

Comment

I'd keep it very short so she doesn't have anything to grab onto, and bearing in mind he will be moving out just put them off.

I'd text that you are continuing to look into the matter and are taking it seriously.

Are you giving the occupants an info sheet when they move in? Make them aware, or add a clause to the tenancy agreement that they will need to engage a locksmith if they lock themselves out.

Comment

Thanks Tan. Yes they get 5 pages of info when they move in with everything from how to order gas bottles to how to live in a multi tenancy situation outlining everyone's responsibility for 'quiet enjoyment' etc etc. I really don't know what more I can do. I've already moved this guy into a different room at my expense.

As for locking themselves out, well that's just trying it on when they text me at 2 am. Bugger that! I don't think any reasonable person would seriously expect their landlord to jump at that but as I said, this lot seem particularly entitled for some reason! I always reply to them straight away when they contact me and get onto any issues straight away but nothing is ever good enough!

I would never have spoken to my landlord like this lot do and I had crappy landlords back in the day....

Comment

1) Don't engage her. She is not your tenant.
          2) Call your service provider and inform them of the texts. They should block her phone
          3) Look on your phone for a blocking mode if 2 above is too hard.
          4) Repeat number 1 every day. Do not reply​ to her texts.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Thanks Keys, I have since tried to make contact with my tenant and am now waiting for a response from him. I doubt I'll hear back from him now until he moves out, there is a small chance he is embarrassed by his mother's actions, it may not that be that big of a deal to him. We'll see.

Comment

Hi The mother is not your tenant suggest you reply that he must contact you himself if he has a problem. Then ignore the mother.
              Originally posted by blacksheep15 View Post
              Hi all

I'm at my wit's end and hoping someone can give me a small tidbit of advice.

I have studio rooms in Dunedin (7) in one complex. I have a mother of a tenant who is driving me mad with her constant texts! I've never actually heard from my tenant. She is complaining that the other tenants in the rooms are too noisy for her son, they do washing and slam doors during the night which keeps him awake. After her last text (last week) I asked her if he had talked to the other tenants to ask them to keep it down, I never got an answer to that question. Tonight I have had another text saying there is still too much noise for him and will I pay for him to move to a motel for 2 nights so he can get some sleep??!! My answer to this is a resounding NO. I have emailed and text all the other tenants in the building (twice) since her first text asking them to keep the noise down although I don't know it it's even an issue, this is the first complaint I have ever had regarding noise. There are 7 studio rooms in this relatively new building (4 years old) and I have owned them (we built them) for 4 years with no complaints from anyone ever. I haven't got back to her as yet as I'm just over it to be honest. I feel like telling her that unfortunately this is what happens in a living situation with 7 other tenants and that he maybe needs to harden up a little bit?! She has provided him with earplugs but that hasn't helped the poor wee sausage cope with other people living in the house. I will respond to her text tomorrow when my blood has stopped boiling but any clever ideas on what to say to her? I feel like I've done all I can, on top of moving him in to another room earlier in the year to try to minimise the amount of 'noise' he is exposed to, contacting all the other tenants and asking them to keep it down, what can I do? She can't seriously expect me to move him to a motel for 2 nights so he can sleep sweetly without interruption. Or can she?

I'm at my wits' end. The batch of tenants I have living here this year are more needy and demanding than I have ever known in my 15 years of having rental properties, what is going on with the youth (and their parents) of today? I get at least 5 - 10 texts a day from them wanting/demanding that I attend to some new whim. Don't even get me started on them locking themselves out at all hours of the night and demanding that I come and let them in immediately....which never happens. I didn't lock you out love.

Shares are looking like a very attractive investment option right now!

P.S. Sorry for the rant, I'm looking for a sensible and maybe witty response to this latest text/(rant) from the mother.

Comment

Keys is onto it - simply ignore them/ block them. She's not your tenant, you owe her absolutely zero. To engage in dialogue with such people is simply taking your finger out of the whole and having the dam burst.

Comment

Haha, thanks everyone. I have ignored the last text from the mother and haven't heard from her since her last text. I will block her number as suggested. I have emailed my tenant with the list of 'issues' (read non issues) he has had and what I have done to resolve them. I have asked him to get back to me in writing to confirm his issues and to acknowledge that I have resolved them as best I can. I have told him that I am not replying to his mother and I won't be dealing with her (or anyone other than him) at all in the future, that he needs to contact me directly if there is anything he wishes to discuss. It will be interesting to see if I hear back from him.

I would never get this involved in my son's business, in fact I wouldn't be doing anything at all like this for him, he would be told to harden up and call the landlord if he has an issue.....actually just to harden up full stop! All this cotton wool business does my head in but unfortunately it seems to be the rule rather than the exception these days and it gets worse each year with students!

I'd like to add for the record that these are new-ish rooms, double-glazed, insulated and heated before anyone thinks it's a substandard scuzzy student flat. I would happily live in one if I had to.

Comment

Turn the phone off after 6pm and on again at 8am then you won't get agitated. The more you pander to the needy greedy youth of today the bigger the rod you make for your own back.

Comment

Meehole has the best advice.

Control your phone. something most people never learn. No one else gives a stuff how much they intrude in your life or when.
                      Turn it off or leave it somewhere you can' t hear it.

Return the courtesy to others. Don't bother others all hours of the day and night.

Comment

Originally posted by Meehole View Post
                        Turn the phone off after 6pm and on again at 8am then you won't get agitated. The more you pander to the needy greedy youth of today the bigger the rod you make for your own back.
                        HA greedy youth

Comment

For all the silly comments about the "youth of today", the OP sounds like the biggest whino.

POT - KETTLE - BLACK

Comment

Working...
                          X