Honest reviews: Ventilation systems; which is best Dvs, Sayr or Hrv

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by johnrw View Post
    3. Unovent filters are G4/EU4 the same as others such as DVS standard, Moisture Master and they catch particles of fibre because fibre is about 30 microns. The roof space air is not stagnant and full of nasties once a ventilation system gets going - the air in the roof space is changing 3 to 4 times more than in the house - where do you think that air originates from - outside of course and is the same air that people let in everytime they open the door - there is so much garbage talked about regarding air quality of the roof space air.
    That's why I ended up going with Sayr...(I have started a new thread to cut out all the non relevant stuff, I had specifically asked people NOT to put in or Salesman like Johnrw)

Anyone who uses a filter less than F6 is crazy.

Most homes in NZ have a fibreglass or insulfluff based insulation...this stuff does move around and anyone who has done anything in a roof cavity knows how itchy this stuff can make you.

Fibreglass sits around 3-25 microns...you're saying your's filters to 30 microns

I personally didn't want fibreglass fibres blown into my house.

Comment

Well, if you use shit (fibreglass) to insulate your roof, that's your choice, isn't it? And now as a workaround for this issue, you have to care about filters.

I use polyester (Greenstuf) both in my house and in rentals, so I don't create these potential health issues/hazards in the first place.
      Though I have F7 filters - just because SmartVent supplies F7.

P.S. Now i'm waiting for Unovent to deliver two systems for my rentals, will install myself & will see how it goes.
      By the way, Johnrw is more an engineer than a sales person, at least I quite enjoyed discussing some technical issues of these ventilation systems with him on one of APIA meetings.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanp View Post
        P.S. Now i'm waiting for Unovent to deliver two systems for my rentals, will install myself & will see how it goes.
        It will be interesting to hear how these perform and compare...

Comment

I've decided to go ahead with HRV, mainly because of a contact we have with the company and a discount. After a lot of reading on the subject of condensation etc, I have now bought a hygrometer so that I can get an idea of the humidity levels before we get it installed and after. Interestingly the humidity levels in our house are close to 70%.

Comment

Have had the HRV system in for 4 days and already I can notice the difference. This morning was the real test for the condensation, and I'm absolutely thrilled that the house is dry. The house is warmer during the day as the roof temp is higher than the outside temp so that is being passed through the house. The temp drops from about 5pm. Very easy to understand controller. Cant hear a thing from the machine in the ceiling and not getting any sense of any cool air blowing around me. Hygrometer is showing humidity levels dropping slightly as well, down to 56% in the bedroom this morning. And because house is overall just that little bit warmer once the heatpump goes on, it doesn't take long to heat up. So overall, very happy at this early stage..

Comment

They do work Suse and I'm pleased it has worked out for you.

Comment

Disappointed in the system...not in it's actions when working, but in it's value for money. It's longevity has made this system a financial waste of time for us. Installed 7rs ago at cost of over $2800 and serviced each 2yrs as advised, it has 'died'...has Error Code on keypad (Er 02). I rang the company on 0800, but staff was not interested in finding a solution once he found out it was out of warranty period. So I emailed via the "Contact Us" link online, thinking that perhaps someone in HQ could read it, take it to a serviceman, and reply with an option or explanation. Got a call from someone telling me it 'sounds like' the mother board has had-it, and best option is to invest another $1700 and upgrade to the new system !! No offer to have someone call in next time they are down here (I live semi rural) and inspect and diagnose. If you work it all out this system has cost US over $10/wk !!! $2800 รท 7yrs = $400, $100/yr for filters, and [at the claimed 10c/hr for power to run] $40/yr in power. This adds to about $540/yr before it blew up, which means it cost us over $10/week before it packed a sad. Now they want us to spend a further $1700 for perhaps another 7 yrs of use.. that will be another $250/yr plus the other costs I have mentioned.. IS IT VALUE FOR MONEY...WE DON'T THINK SO. SORRY.

Comment

TALKING HRV NZ.....Disappointed in the system...not in it's actions when working, but in it's value for money. It's longevity has made this system a financial waste of time for us. Installed 7rs ago at cost of over $2800 and serviced each 2yrs as advised, it has 'died'...has Error Code on keypad (Er 02). I rang the company on 0800, but staff was not interested in finding a solution once he found out it was out of warranty period. So I emailed via the "Contact Us" link online, thinking that perhaps someone in HQ could read it, take it to a serviceman, and reply with an option or explanation. Got a call from someone telling me it 'sounds like' the mother board has had-it, and best option is to invest another $1700 and upgrade to the new system !! No offer to have someone call in next time they are down here (I live semi rural) and inspect and diagnose. If you work it all out this system has cost US over $10/wk !!! $2800 รท 7yrs = $400, $100/yr for filters, and [at the claimed 10c/hr for power to run] $40/yr in power. This adds to about $540/yr before it blew up, which means it cost us over $10/week before it packed a sad. Now they want us to spend a further $1700 for perhaps another 7 yrs of use.. that will be another $250/yr plus the other costs I have mentioned.. IS IT VALUE FOR MONEY...WE DON'T THINK SO. SORRY.

Comment

Originally posted by Suse View Post
                    Have had the HRV system in for 4 days and already I can notice the difference. This morning was the real test for the condensation, and I'm absolutely thrilled that the house is dry. The house is warmer during the day as the roof temp is higher than the outside temp so that is being passed through the house. The temp drops from about 5pm. Very easy to understand controller. Cant hear a thing from the machine in the ceiling and not getting any sense of any cool air blowing around me. Hygrometer is showing humidity levels dropping slightly as well, down to 56% in the bedroom this morning. And because house is overall just that little bit warmer once the heatpump goes on, it doesn't take long to heat up. So overall, very happy at this early stage..
                    This morning the weather was fairly dry here in Auckland.

To do a real test would require a damp overnight.

Comment

• Originally posted by OngieOx View Post
                      TALKING HRV NZ.....Disappointed in the system...not in it's actions when working, but in it's value for money. It's longevity has made this system a financial waste of time for us. Installed 7rs ago at cost of over $2800 and serviced each 2yrs as advised, it has 'died'...has Error Code on keypad (Er 02). I rang the company on 0800, but staff was not interested in finding a solution once he found out it was out of warranty period. So I emailed via the "Contact Us" link online, thinking that perhaps someone in HQ could read it, take it to a serviceman, and reply with an option or explanation. Got a call from someone telling me it 'sounds like' the mother board has had-it, and best option is to invest another $1700 and upgrade to the new system !! No offer to have someone call in next time they are down here (I live semi rural) and inspect and diagnose. If you work it all out this system has cost US over $10/wk !!! $2800 รท 7yrs = $400, $100/yr for filters, and [at the claimed 10c/hr for power to run] $40/yr in power. This adds to about $540/yr before it blew up, which means it cost us over $10/week before it packed a sad. Now they want us to spend a further $1700 for perhaps another 7 yrs of use.. that will be another $250/yr plus the other costs I have mentioned.. IS IT VALUE FOR MONEY...WE DON'T THINK SO. SORRY.
                      7 years is a normal lifespan for any computer related parts. and it's normally how long manufacturers will make the parts available after the production for this particular part goes end of life (it is actually dictated by law), some keep pumping out spares for longer than that. so if you have purchased at the end of life cycle it may prove difficult to find parts, if it was mid of the cycle parts should still be available. In theory you can pursue HRV and ask them to make the part available for you, however law doesn't dictate the cost of the part.

Another option would be to swap the core of the system and the controller (all your ducts are still in place). And it doesn't have to be HRV, even if duct size is not same there are multiple converters available.

Comment

• Originally posted by MAXNZ View Post
                        7 years is a normal lifespan for any computer related parts. and it's normally how long manufacturers will make the parts available after the production for this particular part goes end of life (it is actually dictated by law), some keep pumping out spares for longer than that. so if you have purchased at the end of life cycle it may prove difficult to find parts, if it was mid of the cycle parts should still be available. In theory you can pursue HRV and ask them to make the part available for you, however law doesn't dictate the cost of the part.

Another option would be to swap the core of the system and the controller (all your ducts are still in place). And it doesn't have to be HRV, even if duct size is not same there are multiple converters available.
                        Thanks for the info... I may well consider changing the system minus the ducting. The annoying thing to me was the lack of interest in even looking...if they'd come out [next time they were passing] and said...testing shows it needs blah,blah, blah, then perhaps I would have upgraded WITH THEM. But the total disinterest irks me.
                        Thanks again for the feedback.

Comment

• Originally posted by ivanp View Post
                          SV04 is what I have in my own home (plus heat transfer plus summer kit). All good just don't expect any magic from it - like with my concrete tile roof there's no heat in the roof space at all, so under-roof air pretty much the same as outdoor air, and in night time the system just pumps cold air (at much slower speed), which helps with moisture/wet windows but obviously cools down the house.

I see at least two sellers of SV04 for $1650 on TM
                          One of these is harbour heat pumps - seems to be some heat pumps / ventilation company from North shore but I didn't buy from them yet.
                          The other seller is "kiwi_power" - I've purchased smartvent SV02 plus some other staff from these guys several times - they are based in East Tamaki, chinese business reselling various electrical staff, plus Simx/SmartVent. All good. I like them because they are close to me

Hi Recently bought a house. two story, concrete floor, brick & tile 80s house , pretty cold and damp. want to put a ventilation system in. Has anyone heard of / used Reliance ventilation system. they use RVS 2, Ebm -Germany fan. 7 outlets. competitive quot compare with HRV( the only one I had a sale person come around to talk to us) . any suggestion would be very appreciated.

Comment

• Originally posted by Carrie70 View Post
                            Hi Recently bought a house. two story, concrete floor, brick & tile 80s house , pretty cold and damp. want to put a ventilation system in. Has anyone heard of / used Reliance ventilation system. they use RVS 2, Ebm -Germany fan. 7 outlets. competitive quot compare with HRV( the only one I had a sale person come around to talk to us) . any suggestion would be very appreciated.
                            Just a one man band who has ripped off the hrv controller in India. I would stick with a reputable company with the back up and warranty. Also does it have a New Zealand Safety standards certificate?

Comment

• Originally posted by Trolly View Post
                              Just a one man band who has ripped off the hrv controller in India. I would stick with a reputable company with the back up and warranty. Also does it have a New Zealand Safety standards certificate?
                              Where is the HRV controller made? Is NZS not a pre-requisite for electrical appliances?

Comment

• Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
                                Where is the HRV controller made? Is NZS not a pre-requisite for electrical appliances?
                                Friend had Sayr put in last year. According to them, the controller are assembled in NZ . Not sure the controller of HRV

Comment

Working...
                                X