Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Would you belive Flatemates ??

Comment

I guess you can always get around all this but there are all sorts of rules one can accidentally breach. Like number of loos etc.

Comment

BTW, it is not related to the boarding, just normal house insurance policy. My friend told me that I insure the house with total replacement policy for $500,000, if the house burn down. The insurance company won't pay $500,000 to rebuild the house brand new. The insurance just move an old house from somewhere else(The insurance company maybe buy from trademe for $10,000 ) and relocate to my existing place. Is it true?

If that is the case, what is the point to have a house insurance?

Comment

Good Topic.

I have a 10 bedroom house Damap in Mangere.
          Currently rented out to 1 guy and he has 3 or 4 flatmates.

Next door, same config, they are getting a lot more rent, and are doing RBR like a boarding house, so flatmates.

I would like to get mine set up more like that in time, but I need to spend a bit of time getting myself sorted.
          As I could be getting 20k more rent each year.

Remember: Boarders are paying for food as well as acomodation in general. Flat mates are paying for a room and access to facilities, on a share basis. I think the op's house has these "people" staying more as flat mates than boarders, he is certainly not running a boarding house.

Comment

Originally posted by john888 View Post
            BTW, it is not related to the boarding, just normal house insurance policy. My friend told me that I insure the house with total replacement policy for $500,000, if the house burn down. The insurance company won't pay $500,000 to rebuild the house brand new. The insurance just move an old house from somewhere else(The insurance company maybe buy from trademe for $10,000 ) and relocate to my existing place. Is it true?

If that is the case, what is the point to have a house insurance?
            Rule #1: Never listen to friends who know diddly squat.
            Rule #2: Never do it yourself as you know diddly squat.
            Rule #3: Always use an insurance broker as they know everything.

ILG are beyond brilliant.

Go and see keith Mackenzie and tell him Paul Magill sent you.
            They are on the shore as well
            By Constellation drive.

Comment

I may be wrong BLue but I would bet my left one that he is illegally operating a boarding house and would be prosecuted if reported. We aren't in Nigeria.

Comment

Haha BK, you once said I was probably a racist (in regards to my comments on Manurewa), but you just said this:
                Unless is deepest darkest south auckland and you are just another indian slum lord
                Which is pretty darn racist I'd have to say. Not necessarily incorrect though

And then Damap said this:

We aren't in Nigeria.
                But in regards to building standards I guess...
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

why don't you put a kitchenette downstairs? for the use of the boarder. be transparent and have the fight up front when you ask for the consent for the sink?

stonve dont need consent as electrician self certify the issue is plumbing and the alleged use of the building

john888
                  But this is not law yet.

well actually it is but you are open to challenge and few can afford to fight city hall. Council then get to enforce what they think rather than what the law allows.

Comment

Thanks for the comment

At the time I bought the house which was built around 1970, the house has the stove and kitchen and shower and toilet downstairs and rent to the owner's friend. The house was advertised as home and income. I did not do anything to modify the setup for the last 14 years. I just think now to earn some extra cash to fund my children's future university fee. I heard Auckland university increase fees yearly. I have to prepare for that. My children cannot get student allowance from government from current policy.

Regards

Originally posted by John the builder View Post
                    why don't you put a kitchenette downstairs? for the use of the boarder. be transparent and have the fight up front when you ask for the consent for the sink?

stonve dont need consent as electrician self certify the issue is plumbing and the alleged use of the building

john888
                    But this is not law yet.

well actually it is but you are open to challenge and few can afford to fight city hall. Council then get to enforce what they think rather than what the law allows.

Comment

Previous use if unlawful doesn't help you as it is still "unlawful "unless it was pre-RMA and then I am unsure, but the question is; why is it unlawful and how can it be approved?

The thing that makes a kitchen is a sink (not stove/cooking and the council definition of a residential dwelling invcludes a sink or dish-washing facilities and other amenities.

so a residential unit needs a sink but the problem is compliance staff interpret this to mean every sink is a secondary res dwelling?

They have got away with this because owners dont know or cant afford to argue.

The building Act recognizes 'self contained spaces', we just need to get the planners into line.

I need to check that property improvements act)?) reference given earlier but i am unaware of any code provision that stops cooking in a bedroom (except perhaps for gas?

planning definitions can also stop you and some areas limit the total of people in a household to 8? (but they all vary?) and also faamily plus 4-6 boarders? before it becomes a boardinghouse. (with own requirements and fire provisions etc.)

Comment

Working...
                      X