Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Converting internal garage into Bedroom

Hi Guys

We're looking at purchase a unit on a cross lease property and converting the garage into another bedroom. Has anyone done this and if so, advise on what is required both in terms of council paperwork and requirements to make the building legal?

Since the garage has a step down we will be looking at building a raised floor about 20-30cm high and will also do a false wall to including insulation as one side is brick.

What other building code requirement is required?

Also what cost is expected from council and other stuff required?

I'll be doing the plans drawings myself as I'm a mechanical engineer / draughtsman by trade and the building work will be done by myself and dad (owner builder exemption if required).

No plumbing to be done and electrical work will be by registered electrician.

As long as not structural you can do it.
    I have added walls several times.
    There are rules re windows and ventilation if used as a bedroom.

Comment

Do you need permission from the other lease holder ?

Comment

Would you have to put a double insulated window in or can you reuse a second one?

Also I assume a building consent is required is it? Does anyone know the cost to do so?

Comment

Floor insulation may be required to make this space suitable for living...

Comment

You might want to check with council as you are converting a non-living area, ie garage, into a living area.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanp View Post
              Floor insulation may be required to make this space suitable for living...
              Hi Ivan

Thanks, I already knew this part hence why I mentioned installing a raised floor. I was querying more about council and consent wise

Comment

Will you advertise the garage as a living space?
                I mean, what people do with a space is up to them - and you are certainly making it comfortable

Comment

Just remember once you go near council you have a sign on your back saying please bend me over. If it is all non structural just do it so it is safe and rent it man.
                  Check with your insurance company is the critical thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
                    Just remember once you go near council you have a sign on your back saying please bend me over. If it is all non structural just do it so it is safe and rent it man.
                    Check with your insurance company is the critical thing.
                    Yes agree, insurance is the main thing to worry about.

Comment

Originally posted by Eugene View Post
                      Yes agree, insurance is the main thing to worry about.
                      i assume though that if you go through all the right channels with the council and its accepted, then insurance cant argue that its not covered then is it?

Comment

Yes that's true. It will just cost you 3 to 5 times more :-)

Comment

^^ That is why I wanted to ask if anyone has recently gone through this process and if so what did the council side of things cost? If its $2000-3000 (for example) then its not bad because with the amount pricing is going up each year this will be absorbed. We can do alot of the work ourselves + close friends so the cost from that side will be low.

Thanks

Comment

Impossible to answer on a forum. You have to see what council requires and that depends on what you have now. I would get a building inspector, most of whom are ex council, to have a look and he can advise a ball park on costs.

Comment

Originally posted by Sifu View Post
                              i assume though that if you go through all the right channels with the council and its accepted, then insurance cant argue that its not covered then is it?
                              Make a full disclosure of your intentions to the insurance company now and see what they say,

Comment

Working...
                              X