Property close to a roundabout

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property close to a roundabout

Have you ever bought a rental property next to or close to a small (e.g. 1-2 lanes, 3 roads instead of huge ones like the Panmure / Greenlane one) busy aroundabout? Did it work out and would you consider something similar again in the future?
    Last edited by Champion78; 03-01-2015, 07:41 PM.

I learnt from door to door selling that people who live on busy roads become irrational and demented. I would avoid it like the plague unless there is some remarkable redeeming feature.

(Its the constant noise and vibrations that do it and I'm not kidding you. Go around the corner into a side street by a couple of houses and the people become rational once more.)

Comment

Nah mate. my inlaws bought a property by a busy roundabout, only tenants they could get were low lives...they got suckered into buying it by a sleak realestate agent. returns didn't add up so they decided to sell... they had to reduce the price by 30k to get a sell... and it took 6 months to sell.,,,,, like viking said...avoid it like the plague... hope this helps...

Comment

Thanks for the info. That helps. The reason I ask is I see houses in good area but busy roads (like Botany road and main roads in Pakaranga etc) still selling fast, even besides intersections or roundabout, especially those close to good schools and walking distance to amenties. And they seems to be well kept (some are rentals). Especially those in ROW which is a bit set back from the junction/roundabout. And yes, they are a cheaper than other houses in the area, but they seem to keep up with the growth percentage-wise over the years.

That makes me wonder whether it is better to buy in good area but not as good location, or buy in cheaper but worse area but better location. Of course the best option is good location in good area ...

Thanks.

Comment

Any chance of it being rezoned commercial?

Offices are hopeless but if it could be converted into a shop, it'd be worth it.

But as a residential I agree with the others, stay away.
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Champion78 View Post
            Thanks for the info. That helps. The reason I ask is I see houses in good area but busy roads (like Botany road and main roads in Pakaranga etc) still selling fast, even besides intersections or roundabout, especially those close to good schools and walking distance to amenties. And they seems to be well kept (some are rentals). Especially those in ROW which is a bit set back from the junction/roundabout. And yes, they are a cheaper than other houses in the area, but they seem to keep up with the growth percentage-wise over the years.

That makes me wonder whether it is better to buy in good area but not as good location, or buy in cheaper but worse area but better location. Of course the best option is good location in good area ...

Thanks.
            3-4 houses away from the road down the right of way will be ok as your neighbours would absorb the noise. It's still close to the main road and the shops, malls, etc, but without the noise issues. The other issue will be car parking as often there's parking restrictions on the main road.

For front houses, noise issues can be significantly reduced using fences with no gaps (works out around $100 per sqm), either wood or concrete is fine. If you have your own driveway and can run a solid gate across it then the interior noise problem will pretty much go away (also reseal the window frames with fresh seal, and replace the glass with laminate glass). The outdoor yard for the front house will be noisy though and there's no real fix for this.

Comment

Working...
            X