Speaker needed on housing accords

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker needed on housing accords

Hi folks. Dr Nick Smith our local MP has announced that he is setting up a housing accord in our small provincial city.
    I am looking for someone around the country who knows about these things. Can anyone suggest a good speaker we could get to Nelson PIA.
    I am trying to get someone local but suspect this might be hard due to the fact that the accord is not in place yet.

To be honest Glenn, I don't even know what a housing accord is? And that's with a background in law and volunteer work with Habitat For Humanity (building houses).

Comment

Originally posted by Winston001 View Post
      To be honest Glenn, I don't even know what a housing accord is? And that's with a background in law and volunteer work with Habitat For Humanity (building houses).
      Ha Ha. Good answer. We both know it is about smoke and mirrors but then....
      When someone like me who is "innocent" about the world we live in needs to know. Surely someone should be pointing out the emperor is not wearing golden clothes.
      Even the newspaper editorial the next day asked questions like what is going to stop investors buying up the cheap houses. (If in fact they eventuate).
      Without knowing what shape or form these things take it is pretty obvious what might work in Auckland can not be used in Nelson without causing some nasty unexpected outcomes. Those of us who occasionally dabble in the development world know where the problems lay. Those of us who do more development are unlikely to speak out because tomorrow they will be trying to get their next project off the ground.
      Without a doubt if the central Government exempted any brown or green field developments from the RMA that is only one of many obstacles and mine fields that lay in the way of residential developments. I did get one of the more active developers / syndicators in Nelson to talk to us a couple of years ago. He was so careful in what he said and talked in multiple riddles it was hard to figure out what was going on. What he told me privately about one of the local councils was very different from what he said at the meeting. The landbanking that Nick Smith talks about is not what is happening locally. One could be forgiven thinking local councils are working to restrict the supply of land in order to keep the prices up. I do not think that is likely. In my limited knowledge I think it is morely that the no body council employees have a model based on a mythical world that is flat and inhabited by blue people with tails.
      Last edited by Glenn; 25-12-2014, 08:49 AM. Reason: Avatar people wrong colour

Comment

Originally posted by Glenn View Post
        Hi folks. Dr Nick Smith our local MP has announced that he is setting up a housing accord in our small provincial city.
        I am looking for someone around the country who knows about these things. Can anyone suggest a good speaker we could get to Nelson PIA.
        I am trying to get someone local but suspect this might be hard due to the fact that the accord is not in place yet.
        Considering there is nothing official in place yet, a speaker will likely offer little more than propaganda, guesswork and innuendo. If they're really shrewd, they will tell your clique exactly what they want to hear and subsequently offer their services to other cliques around NZ.
        Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 25-12-2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

i house one of my accords in the garage the other one lives outside

Comment

It's your Civic duty, JimO.

Comment

It sounds like the Prelude to lots of good work.

Comment

I am Inspired by your Insight.
                However, the longer this Odyssey goes on; the more Jaded I feel.
                Too much Jazz therefore I have lost my Zest for this thread.

Comment

You Fit right in.

Comment

Working...
                  X