Window coverings and privacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window coverings and privacy

Hi there, I joined recently just to make this post.

We have just moved in to a rental in Golden Bay, we're on a hillside at the end of a cul-de-sac.

The property is relatively modern but I suspect the owners have never lived in it. When I was outside last night I noticed that I could see straight though the provided window coverings into our house, clearly seeing straight into our bedrooms etc. Is there any obligation to landlords that window coverings provide privacy? At the moment I do not feel comfortable strutting around in the nude like I should.

Thank you for any advice.

Originally posted by itscurtainsforyou View Post
    ..... Is there any obligation to landlords that window coverings provide privacy? .....
    No.

You could put up your own instead, rehang the original ones when you leave, take yours with you.

Comment

give the old guy next door something to live for

Comment

Some curtains appear odd in the sense that the light gradient
        is a factor that's not been taken into account. I.e. the opacity
        of the window coverings appears to vary depending on the light
        values on either side at any one time. And, as you've noticed,
        after dark is the testing time. If the light strength inside can be
        reduced, that may help.

Comment

Originally posted by itscurtainsforyou View Post
          At the moment I do not feel comfortable strutting around in the nude like I should.

Thank you for any advice.
          Lose some weight and slap on some fake tan.

You're welcome.

Comment

At a distance people won't notice a tan!

Ask the landlord. Explain the situation, as you say they may have never lived there, or when they did maybe never went outside in the dark and looked back.
            While the LL doesn't have an obligation to replace the curtains they may.
            They aren't really that expensive and they can claim it is a maintenance cost so is tax deductable (30% discount).

Comment

Maybe you could just get some little curtains for your private parts.

Comment

Maybe you could get some even littler ones for yours, skid.

Comment

Originally posted by Leftette View Post
                  Maybe you could get some even littler ones for yours, skid.
                  What do you know that we don't?

Comment

If it's not in the chattel section of the TA, then landlord doesn't need to provide.

But doesn't hurt to ask the landlord to provide.

I lost a nice Japanese tenant because she wanted netting over her bedroom window but my wife refused. Soon she left because she felt unsafe. Bummer she was hot too but that's probably a good thing she left haha!

At last resort, put up your own, and remember to take them down when you vacate.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                      Bummer she was hot too but that's probably a good thing she left haha!
                      Maybe that is why your wife refused - whe wanted her to leave?

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                        Maybe that is why your wife refused - whe wanted her to leave?
                        I knew the tenant may leave if we don't put up the netting. I was prepared to put up the netting, but I don't know why my wife refused to put in the netting in this instance, we put netting on all our rentals... My wife didn't want to put up the netting even before the tenant moved in though.

PS, the tenant was hot but not that hot, not worth a divorce. Besides, her skin was a bit too dark for my taste XD. Anyways, rational thinking has always resulted in the conclusion that all women will look the same once you been with them long enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                          Anyways, rational thinking has always resulted in the conclusion that all women will look the same once you been with them long enough.
                          Wow - that's deep!

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
                            Wow - that's deep!
                            Whenever the thought of infidelity/temptation come to my mind, I always think about my price of a divorce, and the trade off I need in order to change wife:

The new wife must:
                            1) give me 5 million dollars so I can pay out my current one, and be better off than what I have now (why divorce if you are going to be poorer right??)
                            2) be younger and hotter than my current one
                            3) must be equal in caring for myself, my parents etc than my current wife
                            4) must love cooking and doing house work, equal if not better than my current wife
                            5) must love me for myself not for my money, equal if not better than my current wife

Then I realise such woman is like a sand in an ocean, and there is no chance this kind of woman would want me anyways!

In the end, I conclude to myself how wonderful my wife is, and the thought/temptation vanishes =D

Comment

Gary - stop!
                              You are digging a deeper and deeper hole.

For myself I have never beed tempted.
                              Why would I?
                              When you have the best you can forget the rest.

Comment

Working...
                              X