No announcement yet.

Not monolithic but a moisture problem is this a "leaky home"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If it were me I'd ask the vendor to remove a small piece of gib, just enough to see/ feel in the wall space and check it out. Make a decision when you have the results of that.

This is what I did, when I bought my last house. The vendor was totally ok about it and removed much more gib than I requested.
    Last edited by Aston; 07-11-2014, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Aston View Post
      If it were me I'd ask the vendor to remove a small piece of gib, just enough to see/ feel in the wall space and check it out. Make a decision when you have the results of that.

This is what I did, when I bought my last house. The vendor was totally about it and removed much more gib than I requested.
      Hence why I said operator or equipment - they were told moisture reading - a competent operator would know the limitations

Comment

Moisture readers from Germany has a different scale, ie 40 is dry, and anything above 80 is a bit suspicious. A lot of building inspectors in Auckland use this kind of moisture reader.

99.9% that doesn't make sense...

Also since it's hardiplank, the leak would occur if the joinery / flashing were not installed properly.

Comment

perhaps you should look at getting some thermographic photos taken

Since 1982, We've been a family run store providing Organic Mattresses, Bedding, Blankets, Sheets, Pillows, Clothing, Non-toxic Flooring, Paint, Air Purifiers, and more! Shop Arizona Local or Online. We love to help our Customers find and remove toxic triggers from their life!
          have you defeated them?
          your demons

Comment

At the start you said
            The vendor (whose partner is a builder) is prepared to rectify - with the caveat that me an my inspector are present when the gib comes off so I have a second opinion as to the cause and to ensure that the cause is addressed and the damage fixed.

Is the vendor willing to pull some gib at a couple of high moisture point to see what is causing it?
            Then you (and they) don't have to guess at anything.
            Try a couple of sample points for starters.

Comment

Originally posted by Wayne View Post
              At the start you said
              The vendor (whose partner is a builder) is prepared to rectify - with the caveat that me an my inspector are present when the gib comes off so I have a second opinion as to the cause and to ensure that the cause is addressed and the damage fixed.

Is the vendor willing to pull some gib at a couple of high moisture point to see what is causing it?
              Then you (and they) don't have to guess at anything.
              Try a couple of sample points for starters.
              Yeah that is what we are probably going to do - still waiting on the written report though.
              Lis:

Helping NZ authors get their books published

Comment

Well just to finish the story. Returned today and removed some gib from two different rooms - absolutely no damage to joists or anything else - the bats weren't wet - but the moisture readings were still 99.8% (in the joist).

I think the water was coming from the vendor's overly enthusiastic twice weekly (!) washing down of the house. There seems to be minor leaks in the joinery from corrosion in the mitre corners of the aluminum windows (which need fixing). The vendor has promised to stop with the hose - that I think may be the end of the problem!
                Lis:

Helping NZ authors get their books published

Comment

Working...
                X