Landlords given power to check for illegal activity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Landlords given power to check for illegal activity

Palmerston North tenants may find a new clause in their contracts aimed at tipping off landlords about suspected drug manufacturing.
    A Hawke's Bay man who owns a property in Palmerston North has included a clause in the tenancy agreement where the tenant is required to provide a copy of their monthly electricity bill.

More here

Watercare in Auckland can email you a copy of the statement to keep track of this sort of thing. Handy.

Comment

The issue is what are you trying to stop? I really couldn't care about some dude growing 6 plants, its not enough to run a tinnie house and places that grow tend not to sell.
      Anyone growing rooms full are going to tap into the power grid which will result in it not coming up on a power bill and Growing doesn't use much water especially in a hydro environment, simply doing a routine check will find what you need to find.
      Drugs that actually will harm your house also don't use power or water and can be done in a timely fashion.
      As much as we hope and think people that grow/make/sell drugs are dumb, they are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Glizzle View Post
        Anyone growing rooms full are going to tap into the power grid which will result in it not coming up on a power bill
        Even if they weren't tapping into the power grid, why would they give you the real bill. Wouldn't they just give you their mates bill and edit it using some pdf editing software. It is not like the power bill is signed with a digital certificate.

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
          Palmerston North tenants may find a new clause in their contracts aimed at tipping off landlords about suspected drug manufacturing.
          A Hawke's Bay man who owns a property in Palmerston North has included a clause in the tenancy agreement where the tenant is required to provide a copy of their monthly electricity bill.

More here
          The guy's a first class moron and snoop.

I have computer equipment running 24/7 and use air conditioning. Based on my best understanding, a common grow lamp uses 400W and is run for 18 hours per day, so only 219 units per month.

Without divulging my exact consumption, put this way, it would be a lot cheaper for me to have a different hobby...

The maths indicates growing weed does have some impact on the power bill but definitely nothing the least bit reliable in determining whether the power bill is the result of 'alternative enterprise' or high consumption.

His theory is not only way off, it's quite creepy I think.
          Last edited by PTWhatAGreatForum; 15-11-2014, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Yeah that's just absolute rubbish MichaelNZ. You're just showing your prejudices again.
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
              Yeah that's just absolute rubbish MichaelNZ. You're just showing your prejudices again.
              The sort of response that says 'I can't debate the issue at hand'.

The owner of this building says he has 4-figure power bills every month. He say's it's for his milking shed, but that sounds a bit high to me. Shall I go 'round and check his place for an 'additional income stream'?

Do you stick your nose in (where it's not wanted) with your tenants at that building you have in South Auckland?

High power consumption goes hand in hand with the Internet industry. Do you have a 'no tech companies' policy?

Seeing you think it's ok and all to pry into tenant's private business.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
                Seeing you think it's ok and all to pry into tenant's private business.
                The tenant shouldn't be running a private business from a residential house.
                I wouldn't class growing dope and manufacturing P as a normal residential activity.
                The landlord is correct to look out for such activities.
                However the power bill won't be much help in detecting them so this landlord is a bit silly.
                He should take a drug dog through the house every month instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Kane View Post
                  The tenant shouldn't be running a private business from a residential house.
                  I would expect for the sake of your own consistency the above quote is not serious.

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelNZ View Post
                    I would expect for the sake of your own consistency the above quote is not serious.
                    I don't understand you.
                    Should tenants run businesses from residential houses?

Comment

I don't understand you.
                      Of course, why not?

I was quite surprised to see you write that, if I have understood you correctly.

Comment

I don't understand you.
                        Depends on the size of the business Bob.

www.3888444.co.nz
                        Facebook Page

Comment

Yes; I would have thought many small businesses were based from a Home Office.

Comment

I have a tenant who has been spending $700 per month on power...

Comment

Originally posted by Keys View Post
                              Depends on the size of the business Bob.
                              Yep.
                              There's probably a number of issues/rules/regulations that need to be followed.
                              Most landlords would like to know about their tenants activities just so the rules (if any applicable) are followed. Insurance cover springs to mind.
                              The tenant and landlord should discuss this in advance.
                              I presume MichaelNZ would agree with this?

Comment

Working...
                              X