Insurance claim questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance claim questions

I recently purchased my first investment property and before I've had a chance to let it or have a tenant moved in, someone broken into it, they jimmied the side door to the garage and somehow managed to move it out of its frame and now I need to replace the door and frame, they didn't destroy or steal anything else (probably some stupid kids). The quote my property manager got is for $1977, it seems excessive to me but I'm not sure prices of doors cost so I called my insurance to make a claim, apparently they have to add an additional $250 for my claim because it's an investment property so now my excess is $1000. Has anyone ever had to make a claim on an empty house? Is the $250 still valid if the property is empty?

My insurer is Vero through ANZ, this is what it says on their policy:
    If the home is let to tenants other than you an additional excess of $250 applies.

Can anyone offer any insight?

I have rental insurance which is specifically for a rental property have no idea what the difference is between that and residential insurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
      I have rental insurance which is specifically for a rental property have no idea what the difference is between that and residential insurance.
      Rule number one is use an Insurance Broker like ILG on the shore.
      As Insurance companies will try and rip you off first chance they get, against the wording of their own policy.

Same but worse happened to me, as HWC stolen and water damage as well as other stuff.
      Read your policy.

My Insurance company declined my claim saying that the property was vacant.
      Despite them not asking if it was vacant when I purchased it.
      My Insurance Broker dealt to them and we sorted it.

But you need to know your stuff, if your not using an insurance broker.
      Like a mortgage broker they dont cost more.

Comment

I agree that - generally - brokers will look after
        their clients better than a direct-with-insurance
        company relationship. But that same generally
        qualifier applies to brokers, as well. They are not
        all equal, by any means.

Comment

Could just read your insurance policy.

Comment

Working...
          X