Now open - Submissions on Loopy Rules - housing and property issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Now open - Submissions on Loopy Rules - housing and property issues

Now is your chance to tell the government what gets right up your nose!

The submission form is easy to fill in.

Suggest people post in this thread if they make a submission, with details only if you wish.

You’re seeing this page because we cannot find the page you’re looking for, or there’s a problem with the site.

Seems like plenty of scope . . .
    What category best describes your frustration?
    Choose 1 category that best fits the rule or issue that you're telling us about.
    • building and property
    • planning and land subdivision
    • roading and footpaths
    • water, wastewater and stormwater
    • rubbish and recycling
    • environmental protection
    • business and commerce
    • public health, food and alcohol
    • animal control
    • none of the above

Comment

I have put in 3 submissions, so far. covering the Housing Improvement Regulations 1947, the proposed rental warrant of fitness, and loopy rules around minor dwellings, granny flats and garden sheds.

Anyone else?

Comment

The rental WoF seems like an ideal target,
        so do tell us more of what you submitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
          The rental WoF seems like an ideal target, so do tell us more of what you submitted.
          This is what I submitted on that topic. The first few paragraphs are in response to 'what are the problems' and the last couple are responding to 'solutions'. I kept it all fairly brief, but if this ever gets to public submissions or select committee I will say more. A lot more.

Also to note that on The Nation last weekend Mr Key was asked about a WoF and though he didn't say anything definitive the word voluntary certainly figured in his answer. As I said below, I think the cost to set up a voluntary scheme would be prohibitive.

No problems at present as the proposal is only in a pilot phase. However it is being implemented even if only as a pilot, and the intention of the proposers is that it becomes mandatory. There are many potential problems if the proposal is adopted in (or approximately in) its current form. Some problems are:

- Owner occupied properties are not included, yet all of the checklist issues will be present in many of these homes, with one assumes, the same benefits. So one asks why are they not included?

- Rents will rise to cover the costs.

- Properties will have to lie empty until the checklist is signed off. More costs to the owner, thus more rent rises and a reduction in the housing pool. There is already a shortage of builders and property maintenance people, more delays with no rent coming in.

- So far, no proper cost benefit /business case has been presented, and the supposed benefits are based on academic and other research, some of which has a clear political agenda. Some taxpayer costs appear not to have been included eg insulation subsidies.

- Alternatives have apparently not been considered. For example, a voluntary scheme, education of tenants, landlords and home owners, contributions from organisations which would benefit. For the latter, ACC want visibility tape applied to some windows and doors to reduce the number of accidents. So there is a benefit to ACC but the cost of that benefit is passed on the owners and then tenants.

- the results of the initial test indicate that most failures can be fixed for under $50. This can *only* be the case if the person fixing is the landlord, and therefore not being paid, or if the fixer is doing a cashie. No tax paying maintenance firm can provide labour, materials and transport for any job for under $50. (I own one, and would make a bundle if the WoF is introduced.)

- The costs of implementing a nationwide systems of clipboard carriers and the underlying systems will be large and has apparently not been addressed other than to say owners would have to pay about $200. (I have an extensive background in large business systems development. )

Although this is not yet a loopy rule, it will be if implemented as proposed.

By all means bring in a Rental WoF but make it voluntary. Tenants can then consider the various factors and make a choice. Prediction - the fees charged by local authorities will come nowhere near covering the set up and in life costs.

Comment

Lookout for govt.

Paula Bennett names heads of Rules Reduction taskforce aimed at rooting out loopy property rules; complaints website launched

"I'm asking property owners, builders, tradespeople and businesses who have experienced the issues caused by irrelevant or unnecessary regulations, to help draw these to our attention," Bennett said.
            The Taskforce would consider submissions and recommend changes.

There was a sharp jump in the number of households living in rented accommodation in the 12 months to September, according to Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment (MBIE) figures
            MBIE collects the bonds that are lodged with new tenancy agreements and holds them until they are refunded when the tenancy is terminated.

Comment

Not sure what you're getting at Viking....makes sense to me.

"We need to hear from New Zealanders about examples that have got in the way of their building, renovation, landscaping, and home improvement plans, so that we can cut the red tape where it needs to be cut, to help them get on with the job."
              Yep - nice one!

cheers,

donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

As I have made some submissions to this review, I had an update email today. Only 300 odd submissions received so people clearly don't have much of a problem with red tape. The email has details of a series of public meetings to be held. Not much notice though as the Wellington one is tomorrow.

Come on guys - people on PT must know more about loopy rules that the vast majority of the population, and suffer more from red tape too. If you don't speak up, nothing will change.

The meetings schedule is at the below link and they are also on Facebook and Twitter.

Last edited by artemis; 20-03-2015, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Obviously no building done in Hawke's Bay - not even on the list.

I appreciate that it seems apathetic, but maybe many PIs just
                  pay a builder and leave the red tape wallahs to them?

What was the biggest bind you covered in your submission?

EDIT
                  Related matter?
                  Auckland housing shortage to continue despite reforms
                  Last edited by Perry; 19-03-2015, 09:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X