Lifting the smell of dog urine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lifting the smell of dog urine?

I've just purchased a new rental property which was tenanted at the time of the purchase with some what I what say less than desirable tenants. Inside is getting the full revamp so I'm not too concerned on that part, however the garage has obviously been home to the previous tenants dogs and to be honest stinks of dog urine. Obviously it doesn't matter too much as it's only a garage but I'd like to try and get rid of the smell if possible. So how do you get rid of the dog urine smell on concrete?

Originally posted by td91 View Post
    I've just purchased a new rental property which was tenanted at the time of the purchase with some what I what say less than desirable tenants. Inside is getting the full revamp so I'm not too concerned on that part, however the garage has obviously been home to the previous tenants dogs and to be honest stinks of dog urine. Obviously it doesn't matter too much as it's only a garage but I'd like to try and get rid of the smell if possible. So how do you get rid of the dog urine smell on concrete?
    I have heard spraying vinegar can do wonders. I haven't tried it personally but I know dog owners who have used it on carpet where there young pups have pee'd.
    www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
    # Property Management
    # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

[QUOTE=BigDreamer;346491]I have heard spraying vinegar can do wonders.]
      Yup. The inside of my place stunk of cats pee. I used a black light to try and pinpoint the worst affected areas but found my nose was more accurate. Needed several applications of vinegar by spray bottle. The last method I tried seems to have worked pretty well. I put some vinegar in the water in my steam mop and steamed the floor.
      The vinegar neutralises the ammonia in the urine so you need to make sure that all the urine is treated, including any which may have been sprayed up the wall or on curtains, furnishings etc.
      Best of luck. That stink sure lingers.
      What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes~

Comment

I recently had a cat get into our house and piss on the bed several times. An amazing fix (courtesy of google) was:
        Spray area with a mix of white vinegar and peroxide (we used BAM Oxyaction, as it contains peroxide), then sprinkle a shed load of sodium bicarbonate over the wet areas and scrub like hell.
        Leave to dry with the bicarb in situ, then sweep/ vacuum it up
        Smell gone, I kid you not. I was so dubious when doing it, but it completely solved the issue and well worth the effort it took, and it said it works for dogs piss too. Good luck!

Comment

I know! I guess I have to try the vinegar myself before I could believe it works.
          www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
          # Property Management

Comment

Sunshine works as well if you can get the stuff outside.

Comment

I've used a product called Urine Off before to deal with cat pee in a couple of houses. Worked really well.

Comment

Originally posted by brendan View Post
                I've used a product called Urine Off before to deal with cat pee in a couple of houses. Worked really well.
                Haha, I guess they couldn't call it P*ss Off!

Comment

Originally posted by DazRaz View Post
                  Haha, I guess they couldn't call it P*ss Off!
                  Ha! The later would have made a more catchy name
                  www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                  # Property Management

Comment

Try baking soda it's a natural deodorizer after throwing litres of vinegar on the floor and letting it dry then once you're totally sure the smells gone paint over it may need 3 coats to seal it completely.
                    Kaye
                    www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

Try a product called 'Odarid'. You can buy it off of Trade Me. It works really well :-)
                      "Don't go mental, we'll manage your rental"

Comment

White vinegar. Used it on concrete for dog urine. Very pleased with the result. Partly diluted with water but can't remember the ratios
                        Last edited by Lovethiscountry; 23-10-2014, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Odarid. Good stuff.

Comment

If anyone needs to "lift the smell of dog", it's this guy...

Comment

Working...
                            X