Enquiry from business wanting rental for their staff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enquiry from business wanting rental for their staff

Received an inquiry from a company who are looking for a house for their staff would like to lease/rent our residential property for 12months. The company will pay rent etc however they will have various staff members living in the house.

Can anyone shed some light on whether a residential tenancy agreement works here ... or is it a commercial lease under the property law Act??

Anyone rented their house to companies before?

Never been asked before we've just had private renters ...
    Any advice welcome
    Thanks

In the UK residential tenancy agreements work fine.

The company you are dealing with may have an agreement prepared by their legal department, or lawyer.

Sorry for not being able to help with more NZ specific info.

This article might be useful to you, even though it does not answer your particular question: http://articles.economictimes.indiat...es-market-rent

Comment

Thanks I read that last night too

I have read the dbh.govt.nz website but it only has information for private residential leases and commercial leases ie office units ...
      will give MBIE a ring and see what they say.

Comment

We haven't done this, but a couple of times we have been asked. If we'D proceeded, I would have requested a person's name on the residential TA, as agent for (or in addition to) the company name. But I would be interested to hear what MBIE has to say.

Incidentally, we declined the requests because we would have difficulty managing the tenancy if the maximum number of tenants was exceeded (we thought likely), and because we didn't know who the occupiers would be or how well they would look after the property.

What we did know was that the company ran a restaurant next door and that the occupiers would be coming in from India to work in the restaurant.
        Last edited by artemis; 01-10-2014, 12:15 PM.

Comment

it would be a common thing in ChCh i would think

Comment

Originally posted by MamaBear View Post
            Received an inquiry from a company who are looking for a house for their staff would like to lease/rent our residential property for 12months. The company will pay rent etc however they will have various staff members living in the house.............Any advice welcome
            Thanks
            Can't really help you with your question but am curious if this company is a NZ or overseas Co?

Reason I ask is because of a scam I heard of......overseas based company offers to pay several months up front but of course it's with a cheque account with an overseas based bank

Most landlords think this is indeed wonderful, but what they don't realise is that it can take many months for these cheques to clear....your local bank may be unaware of this and indeed your account will actually show the funds as being deposited.

All looks good until of course the cheque is finally dishonoured and the entry reversed

Your tenants in the mean time have had several months of "free rent"

But of course there's no harm done....we all know greedy landlords are raking it in and can stand the loss

Comment

Handcream sellers trash rental
              Israelis working for a Dead Sea beauty product company trashed a rental property, using it as a warehouse and causing $24,000 damage, the landlord says.

Cambridge woman Glenna Bueno is warning landlords to beware of renting properties to employees of LVS Retail, after her house was damaged and fittings stolen. She is taking the company to the Disputes Tribunal.

The Sunday Star-Times has heard of other cases of rental property being damaged, and last year revealed how workers selling Dead Sea creams in malls had come to the attention of Immigration NZ and other government agencies.
              www.stuff.co.nz/national/6867660/Handcream-sellers-trash-rental

Comment

Originally posted by artemis View Post
                We haven't done this, but a couple of times we have been asked. If we'D proceeded, I would have requested a person's name on the residential TA, as agent for (or in addition to) the company name. But I would be interested to hear what MBIE has to say.

Incidentally, we declined the requests because we would have difficulty managing the tenancy if the maximum number of tenants was exceeded (we thought likely), and because we didn't know who the occupiers would be or how well they would look after the property.

What we did know was that the company ran a restaurant next door and that the occupiers would be coming in from India to work in the restaurant.
                Hi thanks for your replies ... company is NZ owned and operated and is registered with NZ Companies House so appears legit. Website is comprehensive .. so looks good so far.

Owners are heading up to view so we will get a feel and yes request a personal guarantor on the lease if we decide to go ahead ... also MBIE suggested this.

Found out its quite common here as there are some major projects underway around the district.

We wont do a fixed lease, treat company as the tenant and they will be fully and solely liable for their staff. We have already stated max number of occupants too so will confirm that prior to accepting etc.

MBIE consultant said "its actually easier to manage as you dont deal with the occupants but the company" ... saves personality clashes i presume :-) and so long as LL /PM follows the rules it should be a smooth tenancy ... in theroy ... im sure reality may be different.

Also request names details and contact info of all staff members living on premises. We will also carry out regular inspections ... 4wkly, until such time as we happy staff are keeping house reasonably clean etc.

Will be contacting our mate whose a property lawyer tomorrow to pick his brain as well.

My biggest concern wd be if a project is cancelled but seeing as it will be periodic tenant will still be responsible for giving 21day notice etc ... if it was fixed term i can see it would create problems. Obviously as per private tenant there will be bond and request for rent in advance.

Will see how our chat together goes and make a decision after that .... no doubt they will be looking at other properties too.

Really interesting exercise :-)
                Last edited by MamaBear; 01-10-2014, 06:21 PM.

Comment

I suspect having a representative named would be prudent.
                  Read RTA section 93 to get an idea of what I'm referring to.

Comment

Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                    I second this. I lived with 3 different groups of Israelis while overseas and mixed with them. Never before have I met a demographic of people who were so adept at turning someone friendly to them (ie: myself) against them. Words can not describe how shocked I was with their anti-social antics.

Comment

When traveling in general they are at the opposite end of the spectrum from Kiwis--Some hotels refuse to take them--This is of course a general statement and as with everything there are exceptions.

Comment

Working...
                      X