Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Five Kinds of Upset Tenants

You Won’t Like Them When They’re Angry.
    If you work in any public-facing role in any company that deals with a lot of clients or customers every day, it’s only a matter of time before you come across some truly irate individuals. It doesn’t matter if your product and your customer service are literally the best in the industry — there will be someone who has a bad experience related to what you’re offering.

So how do you deal with upset tenants? By shutting your mouth, listening, and figuring out what the real problem is. Until you get that far, you’ll never be able to solve it. In order to do that, though, you’ll need to learn about the five kinds of upset tenant and how each one works.

The Injured Party
    This is in many ways the least desirable kind of upset tenant, because they’re nice and they don’t want trouble, but something has gone so wrong that they feel the need to speak up — sometimes loudly. The Injured Party wants empathy first and foremost: they want to know that you feel for them and someone cares. Then, they want the problem fixed forever. Fortunately, because they’re ready for you to listen, they’re one of the easiest to deal with as long as you can actually fix the problem. If you can’t, be ready for them to turn into one of the other four types in a heartbeat.

The Ventilator
    The Ventilator just wants to vent: they’ve got problems, and they want you to listen. But unlike the Injured Party, the Ventilator doesn’t actually want you to listen, so much as they want to talk. They’ve got something to say, and it will be heard! (Well, actually, all of these types of people want you to listen, but the Ventilator is more about getting his time in your spotlight than he is about having you empathize.) The important part about hearing out a Ventilator is that you do not start planning your response while they’re talking — that’s only going to lead you to interrupt them to make a counterpoint, which will make them feel like you don’t care. Don’t interrupt them! Listen until they stop talking, then reply to the entire spiel. You don’t have to address every point, just give them assurance that you ‘got all that’ and you’re on it.

The Hyperventilator
    The Hyperventilator is constantly in a tizzy. Everything is the worst. Thing. EVER! and it’s up to you to understand that no, their molehill really is a mountain and it should be the most important thing on your agenda. You know you’ve got a Hyperventilator when the thoughts in your head are things like, “hey, it’s OK, this is totally not a big deal,” or, “seriously, that’s why you called me out here?”. As before, the key is to agree. Even if you don’t think it’s a big deal, assure them that it IS a big deal, and you’re doing everything you can to address their concern.

The M*****F*****
    The M*****F***** is easily identifiable because profanity slips out of their mouths as or more often than verbs and nouns. They may come off as aggressive or merely crude, but in either case, it’s critical that you do not react to the sailor talk. It will only add fuel to their fire. They use that kind of speech because they’re trying to get a reaction out of you — they’re trying to get your attention. They often are also trying to goad you into responding in kind so they can claim you are unprofessional. Treat them like an Injured Party and ignore everything else.

The Grill
    So named for two reasons: one, they like to try to throw questions at you fast and hard like a cop giving the third degree, and two, they really want to get all up in your face when they do it. The Grill’s goal is to scare you into giving them special service. Most often seen with totally bogus or at least fairly questionable grievances, and often wants you to magically fix the problem without noticing anything else about the home while you’re there. Much like the M*****F*****, the Grill is best treated like a Ventilator that someone left the volume turned up on; if you show any sign of being affected by the intimidation, it’ll only get worse.

With any of the types, it’s important that you maintain your professionalism and don’t give them anything to use against you. If the conversation turns very unproductive, you can tactfully tell them something professional like, “I’m sorry, but this is not a productive conversation. Please call back when you are calmer so we can move forward, I’m hanging up now.” In our experience, most people will call back and actually be much calmer. Those that don’t will often ask for a supervisor. If you’re face-to-face with someone you can also use this same tactic and walk away from them.

Another tactic we’ve successfully used is to tell the upset tenants that we’re going to record the calls — and actually do so. Our system has a computerized voice that clearly states, “This call is now being recorded.” Most people suddenly calm down once they hear that voice. Some hang up. The few that keep going on actually give you “ammunition” to use against them. . If you’re face-to-face with someone you can also use this same tactic by pulling out your cell phone and using a voice recording app (pre-installed of course).

Developing the skill of listening to someone’s complaints and treating them seriously while you ignore those parts of their behavior that you don’t care to acknowledge is a very difficult skill — but it’s one of the most important tools to have in your arsenal.

Professionalism and calmness is of huge benefit in any case, even more so when you are dealing with customers, taking calls, etc. I've worked in a company with a big customer care department and I remember seeing people actually spinning their chairs around of anger but managing to respond to the customer in a nice manner. If you have anger management problems, you better not undertake such a job, neither a job involving customer relations... or a job at all - everywhere you will face these 6 groups, even if they are your colleagues, clients, your boss or else.

So nice of you to remind me this useful lesson - keeping calm has always been a strong characteristic of mine. In the few cases I've lost it, I've been in serious trouble.

Comment

Would you believe it we had worse than any of the five types you mention. Combined.

A professional family. Something we did must have tipped them. I think it was an email response to a rude email they sent. I got my partner to help write it and in hindsight it was a bit blunt.

So. We asked them to meet to discuss their complaints. They refused to talk with us as ‘they were only interested in a professional relationship’. They emailed grievances to us. We did the tweaking to the house that they required. They said they would take us to the Tribunal. Over a period of months we wrote three long, considered polite emails responding to their concerns. We offered twice to discuss releasing them from their fixed term tenancy. They did not respond to any of our emails, they just sent more email complaints.

Finally they took us to the Tribunal. Well I have heard horror stories about the Tribunal. But it was the best thing that could have happened.

They clearly had no case. Their application was a series of whinges, and we had already addressed all the matters. It was truly strange, these are educated people (one was a policy wonk though, perhaps used to writing lots of stuff that gets shelved). They didn’t even say what they were claiming.

We prepared and prepared.

We walked into the Tribunal, the adjudicator said 'The Eugenes have made an offer' and we went straight into mediation. Result, the tenancy terminated on good terms for us, they have left, and we have new tenants, despite it being a difficult time of year to let.

It was all I could do not to laugh in the hearing. I am sure the bozos didn’t get it though. We could have let it go to a full hearing instead of mediating and laughed at the decision chucking out the tenants' case (or lack of case), but being reasonable souls...

Before the hearing we went to prior tenants and tenants of our other properties, explained we were having a little difficulty, and they all wrote us really nice references. One is a university professor and theirs was a work of genius and we attached this to our response to the Tribunal. Our tenants (the other party) probably didn't even bother to read it and of course it wouldn't have changed their minds anyway. Nevertheless it was nice.

We will use all the nice references we got if we apply for landlord of the year.

We subscribed to Tenancy Practice (Scotney Williams) to help us. He helps property managers. Very reasonable cost, he was fantastic, knows how the Tribunal works.

Comment

They are an American company Eugene things are quite different here. You would be crazy to be doing your own management here, especially somewhere as rough as Detroit.

Comment

What were these tenants thinking, taking it to the Tribunal with no reasonable argument. That's silly and why did they bother to waste theirs and your time I probably won't understand. Fortunately, it all went well and it could even be of a great benefit, with this case being a nice learning curve for you. There's justice after all.

Comment

Originally posted by derek.davies View Post
            What were these tenants thinking, taking it to the Tribunal with no reasonable argument. That's silly and why did they bother to waste theirs and your time I probably won't understand. Fortunately, it all went well and it could even be of a great benefit, with this case being a nice learning curve for you. There's justice after all.
            Thanks.
            It was very unpleasant and responding to their complaints took up so much of our time. We offered to release them twice but they didn't respond to that.
            We were worried about malicious damage too, but the lawyer said that while he knows it does happen, he has not come across it for years. In fact they left the house in excellent order.

Comment

What was their intention? What did they want to get out of this situation? Was it just to prove a point?

They are exactly the definition of this thread: Upset Tenants.

However, they are not vandals doing damage to the property, they were intelligent people as you said. To puzzle it all out I am curious to learn what was the purpose of their complaints.

Comment

We weren't sure.
                What we knew was that the husband leased the house without the wife seeing it. She didn't like aspects of it.
                Also personally I think the rent was high for a family; certainly not the highest in the location, and fair (it is seldom vacant) but a lot for a family. I think she or both of them regretted renting it.
                As I said we offered to discuss releasing them and they didn't take it up - perhaps because they resented having to pay removal costs - but if they had been even half reasonable and agreed to meet us to discuss we might even have contributed.
                Early on we sent them an email which in hindsight was blunt, I think that made them angry and blame us for their situation. We did email and say we were sorry if we had upset them. But as the lawyer pointed out, even if we were blunt, they chose to behave this way.
                I think it was a situation where reason does not prevail and in their minds we were bad bad bad. It is a lesson to me to be nice myself, I sometimes find myself giving large organisations, like insurance companies, a run for their money - and sometimes stop and ask myself if I am really being reasonable. They did in one email refer to 'our considerable resources', which made us laugh, but perhaps they thought we were fair game.

Comment

Working...
                X