any one been to china?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any one been to china?

on friday im off for a month in china, starting with a couple of days in singapore and a few days in hongkong, going on a organised tour for the china bit (wendy wu) doing all the touristy stuff, any of you property tycoons been?

I've done all of Asia a few times. Amazing place. Sabah is my favourite. The food if you are adventurous is off the charts. Try and get to the street food as much as you can. Frog porridge is a must in Singapore and Snake in Hong Kong or Taiwan :-)

Comment

We'll look out for you on the TV.

Chaos continues in Hong Kong as pro-democracy protests swell
      Pro-democracy demonstrators in Hong Kong have blocked a second major thoroughfare, this time across the harbour, after police had earlier used tear gas to disperse huge crowds in the city's centre.

Around three thousand demonstrators blocked a major road in the city's congested Mongkok district in Kowloon, bringing traffic to a standstill and opening up a second significant flashpoint in the key financial hub.

Earlier, police fired tear gas as tens of thousands of demonstrators brought parts of central Hong Kong to a standstill.
      www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news/article.cfm?c_id=2&objectid=11333319
      Last edited by speights boy; 29-09-2014, 06:46 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
        I've done all of Asia a few times. Amazing place. Sabah is my favourite. The food if you are adventurous is off the charts. Try and get to the street food as much as you can. Frog porridge is a must in Singapore and Snake in Hong Kong or Taiwan :-)
        im not keen on normal porridge so may give the frog variety a miss

Comment

My father supervised a build over there (crane) for his employer a few years back - him and mum shipped a fair bit of stuff back for their property.

Comment

The Great Wall is fantastic.
            The part close to Beijing is absolutely packed with Tourist.
            Still worth a visit.
            I would go to this part: http://www.tripadvisor.co.nz/ShowUse...u-Beijing.html

It was cheap to hire a car and driver to take you around. Probably not so now.

Don't eat anything uncooked. Avoid Western style food altogether!
            Don't go with any touts at the airport - unless you liked being robbed at knife point.
            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Have apartments over there, wife is Chinese and son is of course half Chinese and half English............
              I wouldn't eat street food in mainland china.................... All ways keep a eye open and get ready to shove people if you need to get somewhere, this took me a while to do as im a very conscious person and my shoving of people is more dropping the shoulder, but i had to push and shove to get anything or anywhere i wanted.

Comment

1st October.
                National day in China.

Why Hong Kong's protests are a very big deal
                For many years now, optimists have seen Hong Kong's present as China's future.

Just as its capitalistic dynamism helped incubate economic transformations that spread from nearby south China through the rest of the mainland, Hong Kong's more open political system was supposed to be a guide for a liberalising China.

The current unrest will test whether that narrative has any truth — or if the former British colony will remain a thorny exception to a Chinese leadership wholly bent on consolidating its grip on power.
                www.stuff.co.nz/world/asia/61585403/why-hong-kongs-protests-are-a-very-big-deal

Comment

Singapore was very nice, very hot, very expensive, your average working stiff has no show of ever owning a home, its well worth a visit, day 1 in Bejing its not as hot but very dirty and road rules dont seem to exist, you cant get face book here either apparantly its blocked

Comment

Hope you're enjoying the fresh air!
                    The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
                      you cant get face book here either apparantly its blocked
                      Yip - the great firewall of China.
                      Try Weibo - a twitter/ FB hybrid.

Comment

Originally posted by Raschelle Holme
                        I have been in Hong Kong but not yet in the mainland. I would want to visit soon because of their rich culture and tradition. Not to mention the authentic Chinese food.
                        You might as well say yours been to Spain but not mainland china thats how vastly different Hong Kong is from China.

Comment

The English is just getting worse!
                          Maybe I am getting old?
                          yours?

You are right that Mainland is vastly different than HongKong.
                          We travelled around China around 25 years ago (just as they opened up a little (still had lots of no go areas)) and I went to Shanghai and Nanjing a year back - like chaulk and cheese then and now.
                          So much fun travelling by steam train on a hard seat for 36hrs! (Not)
                          Now it's super fast train (if they stay on the tracks). Fast, quiet and clean.

Comment

If you are going to China for a vacation, make sure you don't go during or near any Chinese holiday periods...

Otherwise all you see is an ocean of black hair heads in the distance...

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                              If you are going to China for a vacation, make sure you don't go during or near any Chinese holiday periods...

Otherwise all you see is an ocean of black hair heads in the distance...
                              He went last Friday - he is there now

Comment

Working...
                              X