Auckland Housing Affordability

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
    Wayne, people are mostly dumb, and are easily influenced by media and tv.

Why do you think Trump is winning the polls? Because he has the attention of the media.

Same with how the media can change the tune of people's emotions, and the economy.
    You still missed the point about domestic consumption v's export.
    Unhappy people overseas means they consume less of whatever we sell (not talking just food when I say 'consume')
    We export less
    Exporters make less money
    Exporters drop staff
    Less employed people buying domestic goods
    Domestic producers make less money -they drop staff
    etc

JK trying to talk up the economy doesn't change this.
    People in the confidence surveys know this and will be taking into account all the things that affect (or may affect) their business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayne View Post
      You still missed the point about domestic consumption v's export.
      Unhappy people overseas means they consume less of whatever we sell (not talking just food when I say 'consume')
      We export less
      Exporters make less money
      Exporters drop staff
      Less employed people buying domestic goods
      Domestic producers make less money -they drop staff
      etc

JK trying to talk up the economy doesn't change this.
      People in the confidence surveys know this and will be taking into account all the things that affect (or may affect) their business.
      Go check out the latest BNZ confidence survey compiled by Tony Alexander.

Comment

Go check out the latest BNZ confidence survey compiled by Tony Alexander.
        I have already.
        It is interesting in the difference.
        One is basically a list of opinions and comments
        The other is statistical based on opinions and other indicators (employment etc).
        I have no idea which is right and time will tell.

Doesn't change what I said about 'talk the economy up with false smiles and nods' v's tell it the way it is.

Comment

I have already.
          It is interesting in the difference.
          One is basically a list of opinions and comments
          The other is statistical based on opinions and other indicators (employment etc).
          I have no idea which is right and time will tell.

Doesn't change what I said about 'talk the economy up with false smiles and nods' v's tell it the way it is.
          I get what you are saying, but the majority of the public, including myself, will not go and do a full analysis on all the economic indicators.

Who has the time for that?

Plus there are so many indicators, which ones are important, how do they correlate to each other? If one is bad, but other one is good, how does that impact on the economy? what about the 20 other indicators?

People are far more easily persuaded by headline articles and tv news these days, and their emotion or change of emotion will impact on consumer confidence and short term spending habits.

Comment

People are far more easily persuaded by headline articles and tv news these days, and their emotion or change of emotion will impact on consumer confidence and short term spending habits.
            In short are you saying that if JK says all is well, nothing to see here (and smiles a lot) then people will be happy so spend more?
            This assumes that there is no contradictory news and the media tows the line.
            In this way the economy will be fine and it doesn't matter what happens overseas?
            Won't help the export industries or the people who work in them - maybe they should just concentrate on the local economy.

North Korea and China try this - maybe it works.

Comment

In short are you saying that if JK says all is well, nothing to see here (and smiles a lot) then people will be happy so spend more?
              This assumes that there is no contradictory news and the media tows the line.
              In this way the economy will be fine and it doesn't matter what happens overseas?
              Won't help the export industries or the people who work in them - maybe they should just concentrate on the local economy.

North Korea and China try this - maybe it works.
              All I know is if John Key says it's all doom and gloom, that will definitely have a larger negative impact on people's minds.

Just when John said beware that property prices can drop in Auckland, many people on Chinese forums started questioning whether Auckland house prices will collapse!

Comment

All I know is if John Key says it's all doom and gloom, that will definitely have a larger negative impact on people's minds.

Just when John said beware that property prices can drop in Auckland, many people on Chinese forums started questioning whether Auckland house prices will collapse!
                Fair enough
                JK negative comments = larger negative sentiment from Joe punter = impact to domestic economy
                JK positive comments maybe= happier spenders not= booming economy

I do forget that when you make big statements you don't really mean them.
                Originally posted by Gary Lin View Post
                If people are happy, people will spend more, hire more people, take on more debt to expand business etc, all domino effects.
                Reality is a little more entwined with the Global economy and not quite as simplistic as that (which was my point really).

Personally I don't think the economy is doing as well as some think and I'd agree more with the ANZ than Tony.
                I don't agree 100% with either - just more one way than the other.
                All is not rosy - a bit of a knife edge at the moment I think!

Comment

I do forget that when you make big statements you don't really mean them.
                  I generally make comments quickly and I don't really think twice about it or polish it, so yeah don't believe what I comment

Also sometimes I will try 'manipulate' social media especially if I see dumb posts about people asking is Auckland property market going to collapse ;-)

Reality is a little more entwined with the Global economy and not quite as simplistic as that (which was my point really).
                  I'm not economist and certainly don't pretend to be one, so yes global economics is very complicated.

Personally I don't think the economy is doing as well as some think and I'd agree more with the ANZ than Tony.
                  I don't agree 100% with either - just more one way than the other.
                  All is not rosy - a bit of a knife edge at the moment I think!
                  Yeah I agree mostly, but I do try tell others not to panic, especially online

Comment

I generally make comments quickly and I don't really think twice about it or polish it, so yeah don't believe what I comment
                    a sad admission really - "what I say is a waste of time"

Also sometimes I will try 'manipulate' social media especially if I see dumb posts about people asking is Auckland property market going to collapse ;-)
                    snip
                    Yeah I agree mostly, but I do try tell others not to panic, especially online
                    Based on the above no one will listen to you anyway.

Comment

a sad admission really - "what I say is a waste of time"

Based on the above no one will listen to you anyway.
                      I don't really care what others think of me.

There will be people who like what I write online.

And there will be people who don't.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by speights boy View Post
                          Who needs schools, hospitals, parks, trains, sewerage and the like.....it's ALL about new building consents apparently.
                          Of course this will miraculously improve as another 700,000 people are crammed into the city.

"Don't you worry about that son...just look at all those shiny new consents we've issued"

Raw sewage flows into bay - The New Zealand Herald
                          Raw sewage on central Auckland beaches has outraged residents who walk and swim there.
                          The pollution has been tracked to a blocked sewer network which overflowed into a stormwater drain.

Comment

• No votes in sewerage and stormwater, you can't even see the damn things!

Just gotta build more fancy walking bridges, art works and the like. That's the stuff the council like!
                            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

• Isn't that what all world class cities do?

Come to the beaches - free sewerage.
                              Last edited by Perry; 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM. Reason: fixed quoted text

Comment

• granny herald continues its slide to sunday sport

Auckland renters can expect to pay a minimum $400 a week - regardless of property type or size

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=11516922

even their own "source", trademe

has 351 listing for $400 or below

Last edited by eri; 22-09-2015, 12:47 PM.
                                have you defeated them?
                                your demons

Comment

Working...
                                X