Help out a Mid 20's couple

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help out a Mid 20's couple

I'm 25 and my future wife is 27 years old. We live in Auckland.We both work full time, earn about $75k after tax and save around 20-25k of this annually. We aren't really home DIY people and we don't want to deal with tenants, etc as we live quite busy lives so we get the property managed.

9 months ago we bought our first property in Auckland for $532k with a 20% deposit. Our figures are below.

House Price- $532,000
    Cash Deposit- $93,000
    Interest free loan from parents- $14,000
    Loan from bank- $425,000 (average 6.4% interest)

Yearly Rent- $24,180
    Mortgage interest- $27,200
    Property Management (including inspections, etc)- $2700
    Lawn Mowing every 3 weeks- $988
    Rates- $1632
    Insurance- $1404
    Accountant- $350
    Bank Fees- $164
    Repairs/Maintenance (newly renovated)- $500

Total cash loss- $9,126

We have managed to pay back $9k of the revolving credit, once down to 14k paid off the revolving credit we will transfer this money across to our parents to pay back the 14k. We had the house empty for the first four weeks and some unexpected medical bills which cost a few thousand dollars so we are a bit behind on the $2000 a month we normally save.

In February 2016 we plan to get married and have budgeted and confirmed a booking and we have figured out it will cost around $12k so we will have to save for this also. My future wife also wants to go on a honeymoon which we have factored in will cost around $4000. This will be the first time either of us has gone overseas since we were very young so we are both looking forward to this. We also would look to have children, preferably two when my future wife is 31-33 years old (4 years away).

So what I'm asking here is, where do we go from here. Obviously the next few steps are to pay back our parents, save for the wedding and honeymoon so paying back big chunks of the mortgage won't be happening too much.

Is there anything we should be focusing on? Is looking to buy a second house sometime worth doing? How to you work through going down to one income when children start arriving, etc.

Appreciate the advice. Thanks.

sell the house.... it wasnt a good buy. You are losing money now, and its going to be a hard slog for years. I would rather have seen you buy two cheap apartments and have them cashflow positive than hear you go through the pain you will go through.

Comment

do you really need to spend 12k on a wedding, have a few friends around for a BBQ and get it done there are far more important things in life than spending all that money on 1 day

Comment

Originally posted by House Hunter View Post
        How to you work through going down to one income when children start arriving, etc.
        The safest way is to reduce your spending, so you remain earning more than you spend.
        One way to do that is to sell any investments which are costing you money.

Comment

what is the house worth now?

Comment

HH
            You add up your cash loss as 9,126.
            I make it 10,758.

The difference is 1,632.....which at first glance is almost as if you missed out your rates bill.

Comment

It's nuts to spend 12k on a wedding, especially when already owing family money. The best weddings I've been to were smaller back yard ones. You can have a good expensive day or a good comfortable life. Which is more important?

Try selling the house, it's a hot market and won't be for much longer. You have 4 yrs before kids so need finances in order now.
              Last edited by crashy; 30-08-2014, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Horrible advice to sell the house. You have obviously worked hard to save the deposit. You have also spent a while picking out the house yourself and you partner wanted.

12k isn't that bad for everything for a wedding these days including venue hire, catering, drinks, photographer, clothing, decorations, etc.

My advice for you would be to make the most of the time that you still have two incomes. Hit the mortgage hard after the wedding and try to pay off 50k+ in those two years before you plan to start a family. Then once you go down to one income, the cash shortfall should be much smaller. Hopefully no way near the $200 odd per week you are topping it up now.

You have taken action buying the house, much better than 95% of NZ. I'm sure when you are 50-60 years old you will look back on the property and be grateful for buying it all those years ago.
                "You’re neither right nor wrong because other people agree with you. You’re right because your facts are right and your reasoning is right"

Comment

If selling a non performing investment at the top of the market is horrible advice, what would you call bad advice? Continuing to lose money on it while you watch the market lose steam?

Put a price on the house that covers all costs and pays for the holiday and/or wedding, possibly more if the agent feels confident. If it does not sell, reassess your situation and priorities.
                  Saving 25k a year is amazing. You both obviously have your eye on the prize.

I would elope while having a great holiday that is somewhere between 4k and 16k. When you get back explain to family and friends that you have a long term plan and going in to debt to throw an expensive party for them delays that plan. If you must, have a small private ceremony when you get back for the most important people.

Comment

Mate, you do sound like you want it all a bit ; Expensive investment property, wedding, honeymoon... and then kids, which is the real kicker! Lifestyle/costs/everything wise.

I'd never own any property that cost more to own than it returned. Get rid of it, and simply save up for the other things.
                    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

I would definitely sell the house or somehow manage to reduce the costs (borrow more interest free loans from your parents if possible).
                      www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                      # Property Management
                      # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Do you have another house you live in? Or do you live with your parents? Because you would want a house to start a family

Comment

Was just about to ask that question too NomoneyNotalk!!

Comment

When i was in my mid 20s i worked extra shifts including nights and weekends. And i got married too but i postponed the wedding , the honeymoon, and the children.

So what to focus on is to earn more money , and save more. Why don't you work part time in the weekend too? it might be enough to pay for the wedding and honeymoon.

Comment

Originally posted by NomoneyNotalk View Post
                              Do you have another house you live in? Or do you live with your parents? Because you would want a house to start a family
                              We live in rented accomodation with flatmates. We pay $210 per week for the room.

Comment

Working...
                              X