Policing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Policing

The confrontation in Ferguson, as many observers have noticed, looks uncannily like the ones in Ukraine, Gaza and Iraq.

There is clearly some kind of a global blowback going on, in which military techniques of forcible population control developed for use at the periphery of states' areas of sovereignty are now being applied at the centre.

Leonid Bershidsky, a brilliant Russian journalist and editor, laid out the similarities in a fascinating column yesterday in Bloomberg View. "Police officers around the world are becoming convinced they are fighting a war on something or other, whether that's drugs, terrorism, anarchists or political subversion,"

"This mindset contrasts with the public's unchanged perception of what the police should be doing, which is to keep the streets safe, a conceptual clash that can lead to unexpected results."

The difference between these two kinds of policing, Mr Bershidsky writes, can be modeled as the division between the London Metropolitan Police Force established in 1829, which conceived itself as fighting crime in concert with the populace, and the repressive colonial police forces the British Empire employed in "colonies of rule" such as Ireland and India, who conceived of themselves as keeping potentially hostile local populations in line.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2014/08/racism-and-schadenfreude?spc=scode&spv=xm&ah=9d7f7ab945510a56 fa6d37c30b6f1709
    have you defeated them?
    your demons

I guess it's too much to expect the septics to see the stupidity of their attitudes to guns
    (Rhetorical question)

Girl, 9, shoots instructor dead

An instructor at a shooting range in Arizona has died after a nine-year-old girl accidentally shot him in the head with an Uzi sub-machinegun he was showing her how to use, the Mohave County Sheriff's Office said.

Comment

A 9 year old with an Uzi... what could go wrong?
      You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

in 2008

father took 8yo son to gun show

boy tried uzi machine gun pistol on full automatic at the temporary gun range

squeezed the trigger without knowing or understanding what recoil does

each bullet kicked the barrel up a bit anmd a round

panicked, didn't release the trigger

the small gun with the big magazine

rotated round 90 degrees and shot him in the head

why do people think that weapons designed to kill people

should be in the hands of civilians?

why wouldn't an instructor at a range know that story

and know that kids can't be expected to control those things?

An 8-year-old boy died after accidentally shooting himself in the head while firing an Uzi submachine gun under adult supervision at a gun fair.

It has come to the point in today's society that men take their 8 year old sons to gun shows and allow their children to shoot guns, and i...

father then sues people

not his fault?
        Last edited by eri; 27-08-2014, 10:24 PM.
        have you defeated them?
        your demons

Comment

Even that little kid in the photo knows its wrong. Wow I can't believe America and guns. I've used machine guns and automatics and even my size and weight they pushed me round and we were fully trained on empty machines and then with blanks before ever getting near a real bullet.

Comment

Working...
          X