Migration boom hits 11-year high

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Migration boom hits 11-year high

New Zealand's annual migration extended its decade highs in July, with the inflow continuing to surpass Treasury and Reserve Bank expectations.

The country gained a net 41,000 migrants in the year through July, the highest since August 2003, Statistics New Zealand said. Annual arrivals rose to 102,400, the highest ever inflow, while departures were down 22 percent from the year before to 61,400, as fewer New Zealanders left for Australia.
    The Treasury had forecast annual net migration to peak at 38,100 in September, before returning to the long-run assumption of 12,000 a year by 2017, while the central bank expected a mid-2014 peak at 37,000, according to its June Monetary Policy Statement. High levels of migration are stoking demand for housing and boosting spending in the economy, and Reserve Bank governor Graeme Wheeler has flagged stronger than expected inflows as a significant inflationary pressure.
    Read more in the Granny at
    New Zealand's annual migration extended its decade highs in July, with the inflow continuing to surpass expectations.
    "There's one way to find out if a man is honest-ask him. If he says 'yes,' you know he is a crook." Groucho Marx

Just told the property manager to raise the rent on my 3 apartments by $10 a week each.
    Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
      Just told the property manager to raise the rent on my 3 apartments by $10 a week each.
      Mines up $10 as well in Dunedin.

Comment

Originally posted by Maccachic View Post
        Mines up $10 as well in Dunedin.
        Ive gone up $50pw in Queenstown but it had not been raised in 2 years.
        $500 for a 3 bed, 1 bath.

Comment

One of mine in Papatoetoe the manager just emailed saying $50 a week increase. I love Auckland!

Comment

What sort of property Damap?
            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

2 beddie unit, needs completely renovating but we are now getting $350 a week as is. I can't believe it!

Comment

Wow, that is high, makes me think I should have gone for a bigger increase!
                Squadly dinky do!

Comment

I was surprised, mind you I have been surprised at Auckland rents for over a decade :-)
                  (Also you inspired me to get an avatar Davo :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                    Davo

care to give your views on this thread http://www.propertytalk.com/forum/ne...2532&noquote=1

Comment

Give my opinion on that thread?

Well others have said it well. Basically you get like 4.5% in the bank, so a 1.5% premium is not much. Also interest rates are at 6% now so, if you're borrowing the money, it's a loss making situation. So that's why people aren't jumping into them much.
                      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Damap View Post
                        I was surprised, mind you I have been surprised at Auckland rents for over a decade :-)
                        (Also you inspired me to get an avatar Davo :-)
                        Lol, good on you. It's a choice avatar, won't watch it for too long though .
                        Squadly dinky do!

Comment

I had already submitted a rent increase notice on my Manurewa property. Unfortunately, I can't do the same for my other out of Auckland properties just yet. Hamilton rent is still very low and I haven't seen any increase in a while >_<
                          www.PropertyMinder.co.nz
                          # Property Management
                          # Ad Hoc Tenancy Services / Rental Inspections / Terminations and Notices

Comment

Yes it's def an Auckland thing mostly maybe? With kiwis NOT going to OZ and strong immigration it's getting pretty crazy up here :-)
                            I still drive past houses I rented in the late 70's that I would have purchased for 60K on Cornwall Park and weep :-)

Comment

Working...
                            X