Pellet Fires?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pellet Fires?

anybody know anything about them? my wife has been making noises about getting one to replace our log burner but looking at a job this morning the owner was telling me their fancy large pellet fire malfunctioned and they couldnt shut it down, the pellets in the holding tank then proceded to burn, filling the house with smoke and they poured water into it to put out the fire but also fried the electrics, so now their $6800 fire is a ornament, the fire maker is blaming a faulty batch of pellets??

Quite a bit of discussion about these on the Trademe message boards. Try a search going back one year. Don't recall anything about faulty pellets though, but seems some pellets are better than others and prices vary. Seem to recall they make an annoying noise as the pellets drop down.

Comment

keep the log burner mate. Pellet fire requires electricity to run. My log burner was a god send during the blackouts and earthquakes..

Comment

Output of most modern wood burners are greater than pallet fires, plus not much to look at. However, if you didnt want to cart, stack and dry wood, it could be for you, i personally dont like the ''ting ting'' sound, of the pallets dropping into the fire box

Comment

Personally I'm a logburner man - plenty of heat and still useful if the power goes out. Can even be cooked upon.

Pellet burners do seem a little noisy with the fan running.

Comment

the log burner we have puts out 23 kilowats of heat and heats a massive 2 story house, her indoors is sick of chopping the firewood

Comment

Originally posted by jimO View Post
              the log burner we have puts out 23 kilowats of heat and heats a massive 2 story house, her indoors is sick of chopping the firewood
              Tongue in cheek I am sure, but if you decide to keep the logburner, you can buy a lot of labour to chop / stack etc for the cost of a pellet fire and pellets. Just sayin'.

Comment

Woodburner. No contest. Or be a wuss and get the girly heatpump you've always wanted.

Comment

Tell her it's good exercise.
                  You can find me at: Energise Web Design

Comment

I agree with the others, reckon she'll live to regret it. Perhaps get her something else she'd like, a chain saw or something :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Eljay1 View Post
                      I agree with the others, reckon she'll live to regret it. Perhaps get her something else she'd like, a chain saw or something :-)
                      she is dangerous enough with a axe, i wouldnt trust her with a chainsaw, i might end up like John Wayne Bobbitt

Comment

she is dangerous enough with a axe, i wouldnt trust her with a chainsaw, i might end up like John Wayne Bobbitt
                        She sounds like my kind o' gal...: -)
                        Last edited by Eljay1; 14-08-2014, 01:38 AM.

Comment

I dunno, jimo. Blade width is around 10mm. Not a lot of margin for error there.

Comment

Yeah I would have thought some nail clippers would have done?
                            Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Originally posted by Davo36 View Post
                              Yeah I would have thought some nail clippers would have done?
                              Ha ha yes I was wondering! Only Mrs JimO knows the answer lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X