OneSmart Air New Zealand travel card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OneSmart Air New Zealand travel card

I've just returned from holiday in the UK and France and I'd like to review my experience of the Air NZ OneSmart prepaid travel card issued through the BNZ. I choose it for two reasons, first limited free overseas cash withdrawals, second the smart phone app which made it so easy to track my spending and keep an eye on my budget. Mobile banking meant I could keep my money earning/saving interest back home until I needed it.

However reason one very quickly went out the window when UK transactions failed to allow the PIN function. Every transaction had to be signed for which meant I couldn't withdraw cash from ATM's or buy anything from any unmanned terminals. No pay at pump petrol, train tickets or even parking meters.

At almost a $1 a minute to be on hold for half an hour to try to sort the problem out over the phone I instead sent an email to their "24 hour" support email address. It took them 18 hours to reply. Over the next few days it became obvious that they rarely checked emails outside of NZ business hours and didn't understand my problem or the UK system. Suggestions that were not relevant for UK transactions such as 'selecting credit not chk or sav' and 'some UK pins might be 6 numbers' (not according to anyone I talked to) and 'try using the magnetic strip' not easy when a quarter of the machines don't even have strip readers in the UK.

I requested they call me 3 times over the next 5 days and despite their promises to do so they never did. Going through AirNZ proved more helpful. They gave me a free number to call and they put me through to OneSmart. A brief discussion came to the same conclusion our emails had reached two days earlier, my card was faulty. To get an emergency replacement their accounts team needed to speak to me on the phone but they only work Mon-Fri 8 til 5. The next morning, Monday, I got a call. 10 seconds to confirm everything that had been explained multiple time's by email and the a card would be with me in 5-7 working days.

10 days later I emailed to inform my card had not been received. They replied that in the event my card did not arrive they could send another which would take 5-7 working days. Fearful that my card was floating in the ether of snail-mail I asked if they could track it. I also informed them there was no point sending a third as I'd be on my way home before it would arrive. They helpfully replied that they had forgotten to send a replacement card but would be happy to send another free of charge, to arrive in 5-7 working days!!

It's a travel card so if there's a problem having support that's cheap and easy to access from the most popular international destinations should be a given. Not with OneSmart. In a world where free Wifi is almost everywhere Facebook, Skype and Messenger are cheap methods for fast communication. Not with OneSmart.

Add to the mess that their conversion rates are rubbish I personally recommend avoiding Onesmart.

Good review, thanks. Suggest also posting it on Air NZ and BNZ Facebook pages. Guarantee that will get a response.

Comment

I looked at this before we went away recently. Decided it looked like too much hassle.

Sorry you had to experience it.
      Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Bank advised me against their cards too expensive . Was travel forums that had the best info (for Bali anyway) take NZ cash and change at reputable money changers. Saved about $100 in every $1000 compared to changing it in NZ. Which meant two days food and drinks in Bali for two of us.

Comment

I just did a search 'issues with OneSmart' and this thread came up - so I will post my experience in here.

Marc needed access to funds while in Boston so I thought I'd use his OneSmart card (reverse side of his Airpoints card). Here's my experience - which I have since shared with my bank BNZ.

Hi BNZ,

I suppose it's no surprise the money I tried to transfer to OneSmart on Friday bounced back yesterday. By this time my husband has been in Boston for 2 days!

We won't be using OneSmart ever. The experience has been shocking. Here is a summary of my experience:

1. set up OneSmart and transferred funds $50 to test the loading of the card. This worked and my husband used it at an ATM and shop.
          2. loaded $750 NZD to OneSmart - (setting up the payee) that worked fine
          3. tried to load $2000 - two days later it bounce back to BNZ - I contacted BNZ including a phone call and set up the Payee - tried to load to OneSmart again and it failed.
          4. called BNZ - this time they say 'oh the payee needs to be verified' so they verify it and it says 'verified' so I load to OneSmart and two days later it bounced back!
          5. My husband tries to take out just $60 USD when he arrives in Houston - ATM says ' you have exceeded your daily limit' - (now it's getting laughable you have to admit). So I call OneSmart they say 'yes he exceeded the $100 NZD limit - "What the...." I think and inform OneSmart their website says the ATM daily limit is $1000 NZD.
          6. Nearly at wits end I call BNZ again and they say I need to need to call OneSmart. I call OneSmart and they say 'oh we can not deal with you only your husband'. I let them know it took them 20 mins to answer my call and now they expect my husband to phone from USA and wait till they decide to answer his call...all the while he has just spent 28 hours in travel!
          7. OneSmart tell Marc (my husband) 'oh BNZ have now verified your account and you can take $$ out' - "What the..." I am thinking again.
          8. The $$ I tried to transfer on Friday - show up back in our BNZ account Monday late afternoon - not in OneSmart so still no $$ for Marc to access!

A lack of understanding of the service and requirements of OneSmart by BNZ and equally the same at OneSmart has put us off ever trying to use the service again.

I suppose the question you can be asking of your bank is - why did no one know what was required to 'verify' the transfer of funds to the card so it took so long to get it done. Also why the need for so much 'verification'? We had to verify the account on OneSmart, then verify the payee, then verify to take our own $$ out and then verify to actually load $$ to the card and nowhere it is clear that this is the process.

Also on BNZ while the 'payee' says 'verified' - it's not! But the box pops up says 'your funds will be transferred to OneSmart immediately'....yeah but it takes OneSmart up to two business days to clear them - again quite ridiculous.

I trust this feed back is considered constructive and useful.

regards,

Donna
          As it turns out I am happy the funds did bounce back and that we never have to deal with them again.
          Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Fascinating.
            I used the Onesmart last year in Europe without incident.
            I discovered recently that it has a $12k (I think) limit until you visit the BNZ and get eyeballed - then it becomes $25k.
            Transfered $4k a couple of days ago and it arrived (it does take a couple of days to show up but it isn't really part of the banking system so you just have to 'work with it').

Anyway - got a reply from the BNZ yet Donna?

Comment

Yeah they apologised and said my feedback will to go management. BNZ said OneSmart is not a product of theirs it's provided by a third party to Air NZ with BNZ offering a service to the third party. The thing is with products like this - they're not unique so if your experience is crap you move onto another product which is what we will do.

While we were in Europe a couple of years ago we used the BNZ product and that worked a treat you could get a couple of cards off the same account etc. The convenience of the one card with Airpoints on one side of it was attractive but we'll go back to the BNZ card in future.

cheers,

Donna
              Email Sign Up - New Discussions, Monthly Newsletter, About PropertyTalk

BusinessBlogs - the best business articles are found here

Comment

Interesting. About to head off to UK and France. I have a wallet full of euros and was considering loading some on OneSmart as well but not so sure now. May just use visa card for backup.

Comment

Working...
                X