PM Calls Plumber for Electrical Fault

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM Calls Plumber for Electrical Fault

Hi there, what does the forum think about this situation. Property has a hot water fault so PM calls a plumber?? Plumber finds that is an electrical fault so PM then calls an electrician.

Now I get 2 invoices for the job the plumbers callout and the electricians (Plumbers actually being more expensive).

My question, is it reasonable for the PM to call a plumber for a hot water fault? To me, it is clearly an electrical issue.

I think it COULD be reasonable, but entirely depends on what information the PM received on the nature of the issue and/or whether they asked further questions of the tenant to try and gauge the type of issue.

Or did they just get a call that said "not getting hot water" and assume that water=pipes=plumber. If that's the case, then unreasonable in my opinion.

Comment

The PM was probably caught out by inexperience.
      The issue should be simple.

PM: is water leaking anywhere?
      Tenant: no
      PM: is water coming out the hot taps?
      Tenant: yes
      PM: is that water cold?

PM interim conclusion: it's likely electrical.

PM: do you have electricity for other things?
      PM: so you don't have one of those swipe card electricity meters?
      Tenant: no - we get a monthly bill.
      PM: have you checked to see if the circuit breaker has tripped / fuse blown
      Tenant: yes - it hasn't

PM conclusion: it's electrical (probably element) so call an electrician.

In the absence of other information, it was a bad call by the PM
      and you should be firm that you are not paying for their lack of
      experience in such things.

What do other PT PMs have to say?

Comment

Isn't that what I said more succinctly?

Comment

Gee Perry you went up like heaps in my estimation of you. You are like awesome dude!
          Squadly dinky do!

Comment

Im a PM.
            I always go have a look first and then call either a plumber or an electrician while Im there.
            They get me to check a few things and tell me to call the other guy if its nothing to do with them.
            This saves the owner a call out fee, milage.

I do this with most problems and half the time I sort it out over the phone with the tradesman FOC.

O

Comment

Which sort-of confirms that the PM mentioned by
              VirtualT was somewhat inexperienced. As for the
              rest of you sarcastic . . . . . . may all your tenants
              be . . . . . . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                The PM was probably caught out by inexperience.
                The issue should be simple.

PM: is water leaking anywhere?
                Tenant: no
                PM: is water coming out the hot taps?
                PM: is that water cold?

PM interim conclusion: it's likely electrical.

PM: do you have electricity for other things?
                PM: so you don't have one of those swipe card electricity meters?
                Tenant: no - we get a monthly bill.
                PM: have you checked to see if the circuit breaker has tripped / fuse blown
                Tenant: yes - it hasn't

PM conclusion: it's electrical (probably element) so call an electrician.

In the absence of other information, it was a bad call by the PM
                and you should be firm that you are not paying for their lack of
                experience in such things.

What do other PT PMs have to say?
                Totally agree Perry. Actually, PM is very experienced and works for one of the largest RE in Tauranga.

The more amazing thing is, the issue was a tripped CB in the board...

But it seems I really have no recourse other than to change the PM, they are deducting the invoices from my rent and thats that, not much I can do other than express my displeasure.

Comment

Take it up with the Manager!

Comment

Like Orpheus I too check each Tenant reported problem i.e. simple stupid first then call my contractors to get their take on it.
                    I'd be hung drawn and quartered if my owners got two bills for the same problem-hence first making sure what the issues are by a series of elimination works for me, my tenants and best of all my owners.
                    Had a phone call last Boxing Day oven's not working and I'm cooking dinner for the kids- simple process of elimination tenant had cleaned the clock face and turned the auto timer on. Needless to say I didn't go and see this in person nor did I call my contractors out. Tenant was a bit embarassed will admit but hey told him it's a learning curve no harm done.
                    Kaye
                    www.streetsaheadpm.co.nz

Comment

It has been suitably escalated, will advise the outcome

Comment

Interestingly, PM responds that calling a plumber is standard practice for a hot water fault, and " it may have been the thermostat in the hot water cylinder a fault that the plumber fixes".

Mmmm...

Comment

Sounds like the PM is experienced in avoiding actually getting experience.
                          DFTBA

Comment

Agree. A thermostat is an electrical item
                            that a plumber would not ordinarily fix!
                            .................................................. ........

Comment

Last time I called a plumber for an electrical fault I got a hellava shock when I sat on the loo

Comment

Working...
                              X