No announcement yet.

NZ - "one of the least tenant-friendly regimes in the developed world"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry you feel so agrieved Fond Memories.
    I sit on the opposite side of the fence to you. Whilst my tenants have been fairly good some have caused up grief too. Your compaints do remind me of one couple who were constantly demanding things done for them: a new rangehood, taps, air conditioning (fair enough) and gardens to name a few. After a while I had to say NO and inform the managing agent to stop giving these people air time as they were clearly of the opinion that they were in a first class hotel....paying $300 pw for a really nice and recently done up house in a great area.
    Unfortunately where human nature is concerned you get the good, the bad and the ugly and landlords can be real ars**oles as can be tenants who care not about the property they do not own. I always provide a great palce to live and expect it back in great condition, but seldom get it that way. On top of that I am then expected to bring the place (inside and out) back to a top condition. You can understand why your post leaves me cold.
    Better luck next rental. Maybe a return home might be in order if you are not happy as clearly all the local landlords are misfits trying to rort you.

Comment

Originally posted by Fond Memories View Post
      Next time landlords write on this forum, they should take time to think about the tenants and that these are people's homes and lives they are giving such little regard to.
      And - of course - all NZ
      tenants are so angelic.
      Last edited by Perry; 25-09-2014, 12:49 AM.

Comment

Politicians are the prostitutes of big business. You buy "reason". It is not for free.

Comment

Yes it is true. We have lived abroad for a number of years - being a landlord and tenant, and this is the very worst country for renting I have ever come across.
          Post a link to the relevant legislation in each of the countries you rented in. I suspect the problem is in there.

www.3888444.co.nz
          Facebook Page

Comment

Tenants are certainly highly taxed in NZ.
            To build a house - 45% of the cost is tax.
            Even the annual rates tax - paid by the tenants - is taxed!
            Repairs & maintenance - taxed again - no depreciation now.
            The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

To be fair, I think that in general the tenants in Switzerland and Singapore are better.

Comment

Fond Memories - a few comments
                - You obviously read the forums here and have gained an impression (and not a good one). Did you read similar forums in the other countries?
                - Sounds like you are a great tenant - they do exist and some of us have them. Unfortunately some tenants are not so good and some LL's have those also - this leads to an unhappy experiance for the LL
                - Sounds like you had good LL's overseas and now have a good one here - they do exist here as you have found. I expect there are bad ones overseas also (I have read some stories about England but don't frequent forums overseas to really know) as there are here.
                Maybe you had bad luck for the 1st few here - I think good LL's out number bad ones here!

As for this
                the man's wife then let slip that they owned another rental property with a set lease. Apparently if as a landlord, if you want to move into the house you are renting out, then the lease agreement doesn't count.
                this just isn't true. If you want surety of term then negotiate a fixed term - it binds both parties.
                You would find many posts here of tenants wanting to know how to get out of a fixed term - many more from tenants than LL.
                In fact it is easy - stop paying rent, you get evicted but payup just as you leave - no debt, no stain.
                Doesn't work as a LL.

The tenancy act is slanted towards the tenant - some of it is fair and some isn't but it is what we all have to work with, tenant and LL.
                I hope your current lease works for you - and you don't try to leave early.
                The longest I have had a tenant is 6 years (periodic tenancy) and they left because they had to move towns. Current longest is 3 years - I must be doing something right

Comment

Reading your post, I would assume you are a fair and honest landlord. And I do realize that some tenants and landlords are great and some are not. I have heard of a tenant that keep 24 goats in their garage! If I was the landlord, I would want them out ASAP. Started looking at the forum to see other tenants experiences - but only found this one for landlords. Thought some of the landlords sounded unreasonable on the forum so I would hate to think what they are like to the tenants. It's been quite interesting as I have had a few comments back that have obviously wound some of them up. It seems some posts on this forum only want people that will agree with them. Glad you are more open minded.

Comment

I feel sorry for our younger generation. Now they come out of University with very large debts. When they can finally pay that off, they may manage to save of a deposit for a house - unlikely. And then the chances of them getting a pension is almost zero. No wonder so many of the younger generation are giving up. They will be as well off on the dole living in a state house. Does seem that the rich are getting richer, and the middle classes getting poorer. I would say that the poor are about the same. How to solve it??? No idea

Comment

Thought some of the landlords sounded unreasonable on the forum so I would hate to think what they are like to the tenants. It's been quite interesting as I have had a few comments back that have obviously wound some of them up.
                      Some LL's make the rest of us cringe.
                      But all views are valid - just not necessarily right.

Have a read of this thread - it will open your eyes

Granted it is the worst but they do exist

Comment

I feel sorry for our younger generation. Now they come out of University with very large debts. When they can finally pay that off, they may manage to save of a deposit for a house - unlikely. And then the chances of them getting a pension is almost zero. No wonder so many of the younger generation are giving up. They will be as well off on the dole living in a state house. Does seem that the rich are getting richer, and the middle classes getting poorer. I would say that the poor are about the same. How to solve it??? No idea
                        Have a read of this
                        A large part of Generation Y might have to wait until they receive an inheritance before they can buy a house, a property commentator says.

decided they can't afford a home so spend the money instead!
                        In a few years they'll be complaining.

Funnily enough I have always felt that I am middle class.
                        Never get help from the Govt - always earn just too much for the handouts.
                        Got kids just as the removed the family benefit.
                        No WFF for me.
                        I'm starting to cry now but by saving and hard work (refurbishment etc) got to where we are (I do have a wife so shouldn't take all the credit).
                        No hand-outs or inheritance for me.
                        Seems many people expect others to do it for them!
                        Now you have made me make a mess of my blotter.

Comment

Your post alone makes me think you are a very unreasonable landlord. Because I agreed with an article your response was I should leave the country! Is this forum only for people that can tell stories of how rotten tenants are and how great landlords are? I believe the truth will be somewhere in the middle and was giving my opinion on renting over here. I could say that maybe if you had left the country for a while, you would be more open minded. But that would sound as ignorant as you.

Comment

Originally posted by Perry View Post
                            And - of course - all NZ
                            tenants are so angelic.
                            And so are NZ landlords.

Comment

We are the same - middle class and no inheritance etc. However in my day, house prices where loads cheaper in comparison to salaries. University was cheap and I expect if I'm lucky enough I'll get a govt. pension. And also jobs were easier to find - still had to look and be a little bit lucky - but easier than today. Must seem very daunting for the youth of today. And with an aging population it's going to get harder - not that I think we should kill everyone off at a certain age.

Comment

Your post alone makes me think you are a very unreasonable landlord. Because I agreed with an article your response was I should leave the country! Is this forum only for people that can tell stories of how rotten tenants are and how great landlords are? I believe the truth will be somewhere in the middle and was giving my opinion on renting over here. I could say that maybe if you had left the country for a while, you would be more open minded. But that would sound as ignorant as you.
                                not sure who this was addresses to?

Comment

Working...
                                X