NZ - "one of the least tenant-friendly regimes in the developed world"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fond Memories View Post
    We are the same - middle class and no inheritance etc. However in my day, house prices where loads cheaper in comparison to salaries. University was cheap and I expect if I'm lucky enough I'll get a govt. pension. And also jobs were easier to find - still had to look and be a little bit lucky - but easier than today. Must seem very daunting for the youth of today. And with an aging population it's going to get harder - not that I think we should kill everyone off at a certain age.
    I purchased my 1st house for around 12 times my wage - half the size of houses today (but I had saved).
    I look now at what bright young people can earn in wonder.
    There are young people, after 5 years, earning about 80% of what I earn after 35 years.
    I'm not bitter, good on them - skill and effort is rightly rewarded now, wasn't then.
    My earning capacity, in the job I did, was limited by how long I had been there - not skill or effort.
    Everyone commented how I had a job for life when I started with the Post Office and how many restructures there have been since (on the Telecommunications side).

I don't think it was as rosy as people make out.
    It all seemed daunting then too!
    But these days people are brought up with a sense of entitlement and a belief that they can do anything.

Comment

heard some 'investing for your pension' advice on the radio today

"don't pay for your kid's uni studies

it will be easier for them to pay off student loans when they get jobs

than it will be a pensioner to live on the pennies the pension will become"
      Last edited by eri; 25-09-2014, 05:52 PM.
      have you defeated them?
      your demons

Comment

Sage advice .

Comment

Singapore works very well if you are law abiding. There are elements that seem very unfair and it's not perfect. The Minister Mentor (as he is called) really looks after his people. All sorts of different religions living side by side and it works. However, the foreign workers (maids and unskilled labour) are treated less than fair but if they get to work in Singapore they think it's great - makes you think about the environment they come from. Maids are on a two year contract usually, and some will earn as little as SD$250 a month (including living costs). For that they may have to work 7 days a week, 18 hours a day. Why do they do it? Because they can send all the money back to the Philippines or wherever and their families don't starve. Without that job, their children don't eat. So I may not have thought everything was fair, but life isn't always fair and all we could do was treat our maid with the respect she deserved - she could also speak 4 languages and could read English.

Comment

There is a sense of entitlement but I don't believe it just relates to the youth of today. Don't you think that the older generation also believe they are entitled? All I here since we have been back in NZ is people telling us about the good old days and how easy their life was. This is from the older generation but we here it a lot.

Comment

If you work hard and contribute for many years of your life you have the feeling that something may come back to you. Is this entitlement?

If you are born, go to school and await your 18th birthday with anticipation, are you entitled to the same that the older generation has?

Do you not think there's a little imbalance in your position that, just because the older generation have a sense of entitlement that the younger generation too are "entitled"?

It has, in the 53 years I've been kicking around, never been easy to get a house. Never been easy to get that which some here consider an entitlement.

Some here ("here" being New Zealand) are the product of second, third or even fourth generation beneficiaries.

Stereotypes are that way for a reason. Generational beneficiaries are a product of personal attitude, not the product of the environment they live in. Personally, I have had knocks. I have had set backs. However, some would say that my knocks and setbacks were minor compared to others. Others would say my knocks and setbacks were more extreme. It all depends upon your perspective.

Times come and go. I do get annoyed with those who wring their hands and champion the beggars, the takers, the entitled people.

You do have the right to choose in this country. However you also have the responsibility to be accountable for your choices. Don't make me, or others like me, feel bad because those who have not worked hard are not getting that which we enjoy.

I've seen friends, clients and relatives die at the age I am now. I've seen those who work until they're 80 stay healthy and vigorous. There is no rhyme nor reason for when your time is up.

I would regret not enjoying the time I have left. However, I do believe that I have contributed for dozens of years longer than some have been alive who have a sense of entitlement greater than mine.

www.3888444.co.nz
              Facebook Page

Comment

You sound very bitter. Are you saying that only the younger generation are not entitled. I personally believe non of us are entitled and that benefits etc should be treated with respect and not something to be taken advantage of. We can all fall on hard times and I am glad these people can call on help. However once people are given something for free there always seems to come a sense of entitlement.

Comment

Why is the presentation of one person's perspective
                  described as bitter? Is the alternative for someone
                  to be handed everything for no effort? There are
                  a few war veterans left who were promised some
                  rehabilitation for risking their lives. Private land was
                  taken from others to provide it. There are others
                  who recall the gummint promise of social security:
                  for a tax of one-and-sixpence in the pound, we'll
                  look after you in your retirement.

Comment

Are you saying that only the younger generation are not entitled.

I personally believe non of us are entitled
                    Photo 8 is the digamist wife on our toy. It is an auction our club is running to assist Savannah. Please contribute by forwarding it on to everyone you know.

Some people are not takers. Some people need a hand. Tell me Savannah is not entitled to our help.

www.3888444.co.nz
                    Facebook Page

Comment

Nice trike, Keys. Also, I've never seen or heard the word digamist before. Thanks.

Comment

You sound very bitter.
                        I actually thought Keys sounded (as well you can in the written word) level and reasoned.
                        I have found over the years that the way people take a message is usually clouded by their own view at the time.

My parents are entitled to the Super they get - to remove it would be unfair since they didn't have the opportunity to save (they were told (and taxed) that they would get super so factored that in).
                        I worked out many years ago that, when I got old, Super might be gone so I better sort something out to fend for myself. If I get super it will be a bonus and I'll probably be able to continue giving to charity when I an no longer an earner.
                        I fully expect the age to change - and it would if JK got his head out of the sand on the issue. He said a silly thing years ago (that he would resign if the age was raised) and is now trapped.
                        I think young people are entitled - entitled to be treated fairly. To inherit a country that is safe and prosperous.
                        I don't think they are entitled to a house - you still have to work for that.
                        Maybe I was lucky that I didn't have the temptation of buying coffee several times a day.
                        Travel was too expensive then so something to do after I was sorted.
                        So I saved - a foriegn concept to some.
                        You make the most of what is available by looking forward - not back.
                        Harking over the 'good ol days' won't get you anywhere really.

This is all a long way from 'tenant friendliness'.

Comment

Super is a ponzy scheme.
                          Say you pay $1,000 a month - eventually you might get $100 out if you live that long and after paying politicians perks and BMWs etc.

Far better to have a whole lot less government and get the money now for yourself!
                          The three most harmful addictions are heroin, carbohydrates and a monthly salary - Fred Wilson.

Comment

Originally posted by PC View Post

Far better to have a whole lot less government and get the money now for yourself!
                            Problem with that is how do you work out who is entitled to what.

At retirement age you basically have three groups:
                            - those who have been careful, thrifty and - yes - lucky and are able to continue to support themselves without any assistance
                            - those who have been idle, spendthrift, careless - and you can construct an argument that they should be left to starve
                            - those who have tried and, possibly through no fault of their own, have been hit financially and despite their best efforts do require help.

The problem is, how do you sort out the third group from the second?

Comment

Originally posted by flyernzl View Post
                              The problem is, how do you sort out the third group from the second?
                              Their attitude.

www.3888444.co.nz
                              Facebook Page

Comment

That's not entitlement - that's compassion. And I deeply believe in compassion. However if I wish to argue, I could ask if you think all the people with Ebola are entitled to our help, or the thousands of starving people? There are thousands and thousands of people that need a hand, Savannah is just lucky enough to have a group of people that will support her. That's not entitlement.

Comment

Working...
                                X